Warning DO NOT delete WP admin with content

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Had some spam coming from an admin account , so i created a new admin account and deleted the other one ,,, well everything that the admin did was deleted so it wiped the site... i thought it would only delete the posts NOPE!!!

Heads up don't do this

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Wow... Reminds me to do a complete server backup. Wow...
Sorry that happened to you dude. Hopefully your host will be able to restore the site to how it was before the gigantic OOPS!
Best of luck.

J.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Cost me $15 to have it restored, thats 3 craft beers #mad

fixer

I'm In My Prime
This turned into a Crap Show.

I have restored the website files but that does not seem to made any difference. Since this is a wordpress website, the content that you have deleted is in database.

I have therefore examined the content of your database wordpres_1 and found a problem. Your database is using InnoDB format for saving data. This means all your data is saved in central binary file which is shared by all users on your server. Therefore we cannot restore your database as it is not possible to restore individual InnoDB database. If your database was in MyIsam format, then your data would have been saved in separate folder and we would be able to restore it.

Lucky Wordpress moves all the content to the Trash because they had no editor and i was able to "restore" but get this...

it also deleted all the files that user uploaded so it wiped the media too... im restoring from a file system back up

Wordpress this is a stupid way of doing things, if you delete a user all the content shouldn't just go poof ... literally

*fixer deleting wordpress user....

tenor.gif

R0binHood

Habitué
Dude, install Updraft on all your WP sites and set them to back up to Dropbox or some other off site service automatically.

The free version is fine and I’ve got most of mine to backup the entire site and all files weekly and the database daily.

Last edited:

R0binHood

Habitué
Drunk, recklessly and constantly wondering why everything seems to be going wrong?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Drunk, recklessly and constantly wondering why everything seems to be going wrong?
For the record , Other than raising my son... this was the only time i willingly destroyed my own work

feldon30

Adherent
Never in a million years would I expect that deleting a user on a Wordpress site would delete the content. It's a freaking website not a forum. I run a half dozen sites and that is terribad design.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Never in a million years would I expect that deleting a user on a Wordpress site would delete the content. It's a freaking website not a forum. I run a half dozen sites and that is terribad design.
its true yo, i lived it

Erin Nicole

Habitué
DoNt YOu KeEp BaCkUPs

Server peeps will bail me out the plesk backs up all the time i do not keep local back ups too many sites
Even when I had 10 websites I still kept backups. I lost them all now (due to no ones fault but my own) but I had backups for YEARS on external hard drives. I always recommend doing backups.

This sucks that it happened and costed you $15 in the process. I’m pretty sure there is a setting where you can select whether deleting the user will delete its content. Maybe it wasn’t there because it was the admin account or maybe I’m remembering an old version of WP because I haven’t touched it in at least a year but, iirc, there is a little check box... Easy to overlook though. Default should also be unchecked and iirc it is checked.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Even when I had 10 websites I still kept backups. I lost them all now (due to no ones fault but my own) but I had backups for YEARS on external hard drives. I always recommend doing backups.

This sucks that it happened and costed you $15 in the process. I’m pretty sure there is a setting where you can select whether deleting the user will delete its content. Maybe it wasn’t there because it was the admin account or maybe I’m remembering an old version of WP because I haven’t touched it in at least a year but, iirc, there is a little check box... Easy to overlook though. Default should also be unchecked and iirc it is checked.
no setting btw, not even a warning... when it takes a while to delete the user ...it dawns on you that something bad is happening

feldon30

Adherent
At the very least, the interface for deleting a user should show the number of posts, pages, and media will be deleted if that user is deleted. This would be a trivial improvement to implement.