Viglink gone bad?

vbgamer45

Adherent
I used to really like Viglink but after they were bought out. It seems they have installed a ton of third party trackers.
Which slows down your forum/website... It just is crazy. I have started removing them from my sites.
It worked great before just affiliate links. Have attached some screenshots, it really fills up the network log in developer tools and some of trackers reconnect after a period of time.

Anyone else notice this?

Attachments

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
do you have "Optimize Links" turned on or Insert turned on? Try turning those off in the dashboard

vbgamer45

Adherent
No. Just have these enabled

Reaffiliate Affiliated Links

Link URLs

fixer

I'm In My Prime
we have turned off the viglink service a few mths ago

overcast

Adherent
For some reason I always felt that Viglink and Skimlinks may steal the commission and often may not be fair for the affiliates.

vbgamer45

Adherent
Might have to roll my own. Most of the revenue for my sites came from ebay/amazon. I did try to apply to skimlinks but was rejected not sure why maybe since I do user generated content with my forum hosting sites.

overcast

Adherent
Ebay is hard to get into. I am not even sure if they continue to accept new affiliates. It's a dying company, they are mostly alive because of pawnshops, refurbished and old stuff sellers. You should go with amazon ads of your own instead. They do have script that auto ads the keyword ads and the ads block below post footers or for mobile view.

KimmiKat

Adherent
I've been blocking vigilinks for ages. Whacks out the text-to-speech reader.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
For some reason I always felt that Viglink and Skimlinks may steal the commission and often may not be fair for the affiliates.
What basis do you have for this? I never had a problem with payment from either.

davert

Enthusiast
Viglink has multiple services, as joeychgo implied. You can be selective about which ones you take, which in my experience altered the trackers. That said, I haven't used them in a while since the return, in my experience, wasn't that great. Your mileage may vary.

nicksource

Participant
I'm glad I am not the only one who has noticed. My revenue since Sovrn took over has tanked, get only 20-30% of what I'm used to. Moving to Skimlinks as I don't have much to lose.

Disappointing.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I'm glad I am not the only one who has noticed. My revenue since Sovrn took over has tanked, get only 20-30% of what I'm used to. Moving to Skimlinks as I don't have much to lose.

Disappointing.
Please report how skimlinks does for you

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
My revenue since Sovrn took over has tanked...
I haven't noticed much difference. Maybe it dropped slightly shortly after the merger, but recovered a month or so later. I don't get a great income from them, but when I switched from Skimlinks to Viglink several years ago, my income increased appreciably. Skimlinks currently has only about 20,000 merchants, Viglink/Sovrn has 50,000. Of those, of course, you have to figure out your own demographics - the countries your members are from and the interests they have in relation to your forum.

It may also be that the way you use the program has something to do with your financial success. Viglink has more features that I find useful. Sometimes I think I'd like to try using Skimlinks for targeted content - display ads or articles with specific affiliate links - to see if I can generate income in addition to the Viglink revenue.

Admittedly, I am not the best at creating good revenue streams. I just play with it and take advice from those that seem to know better than I do. I also seek support from Viglink tech support, but that is what has appeared to drop off after the merger.

nicksource

Participant
Please report how skimlinks does for you
I've already gone back as after not receiving income from eBay I contacted them, they replied eBay are no longer taking new publishers. This could be why Viglink is so bad recently too but I'm still getting some through for eBay.

I haven't noticed much difference. Maybe it dropped slightly shortly after the merger, but recovered a month or so later. I don't get a great income from them, but when I switched from Skimlinks to Viglink several years ago, my income increased appreciably. Skimlinks currently has only about 20,000 merchants, Viglink/Sovrn has 50,000. Of those, of course, you have to figure out your own demographics - the countries your members are from and the interests they have in relation to your forum.

It may also be that the way you use the program has something to do with your financial success. Viglink has more features that I find useful. Sometimes I think I'd like to try using Skimlinks for targeted content - display ads or articles with specific affiliate links - to see if I can generate income in addition to the Viglink revenue.

Admittedly, I am not the best at creating good revenue streams. I just play with it and take advice from those that seem to know better than I do. I also seek support from Viglink tech support, but that is what has appeared to drop off after the merger.
Who's your biggest merchant on Skimlinks?

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
Who's your biggest merchant on Skimlinks?
Hu? I'm sorry, that doesn't compute. Please rephrase the question. However, you should understand that it's unlikely that my audience/niche will be the same as yours. What might perform well for me might not perform very well for you, or vise versa. Affiliate links are not a one-size-fits-all kinda thing. Also, I don't currently use Skimlinks; not for several years, as I mentioned.

nicksource

Participant
Just got confirmation from Skimlinks, they no longer have eBay as an affiliate, this must hit hard for some users:

Saz (Skimlinks Support)

Nov 27, 13:21 GMT

Hi Nick,

Not at this time through Skimlinks.

Thank you,
Saz
Skimlinks Support Team

Are you ready for Black Friday and Holiday Season? Keep an eye on our blog (http://skimlinks.com/blog) to make 2019 your most profitable year yet!

Nicksource

Nov 27, 11:55 GMT

Thankyou.

So I won't get any income from ebay?

Saz (Skimlinks Support)

Nov 27, 11:51 GMT

Hi Nick,

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

Ebay is a whitelisted merchant at this time and they are not allowing new publishers on to their program at this time.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks again,
Saz
Skimlinks Support Team

overcast

Adherent
What basis do you have for this? I never had a problem with payment from either.
Affiliate revenue stealing is pretty common in industry. Many networks are known for this. As for my basis. I have around 50k traffic on one blog that had adsense earning pretty consistent even infolinks had earning. But when I replaced them with viglinks my revenue pretty much nosedived.