Vbulletin Dead ?? No rich resources/mods available.. Upgrades Costing too...

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
Is Vbulletin really dead ??
Cannot find right support, right resources for custom upgrades like used to be on 2.x to 3.x phase..

Nothing left moving 100s+ forums to another software script...

Ty.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
I still see it popping up occasionally but I think that yeah its pretty much done.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
vB 3 & 4 are no longer available for purchase or support so vB 5 is the only option and that still contains literally many hundreds if not thousands of bugs. There's little or no third party support for the product, even vb.org is just tumbleweeds now.

Just recently a vulnerability was found in a fix for a previous vulnerability and yet again multiple forums were hacked. The main support site seems to be attracting a lot of spam recently which often gets left for hours so it appears whatever support staff are still left even they are starting to lose interest.

I'd say it's dead but then again people still buy it.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
vB 3 & 4 are no longer available for purchase or support so vB 5 is the only option and that still contains literally many hundreds if not thousands of bugs. There's little or no third party support for the product, even vb.org is just tumbleweeds now.

Just recently a vulnerability was found in a fix for a previous vulnerability and yet again multiple forums were hacked. The main support site seems to be attracting a lot of spam recently which often gets left for hours so it appears whatever support staff are still left even they are starting to lose interest.

I'd say it's dead but then again people still buy it.
Oh man that is extremely depressing. They used to be at the top of the heap, too...

KimmiKat

Adherent
Time to take vB out back and shoot it. Or sell the company to Xenforo.

Oh man that is extremely depressing. They used to be at the top of the heap, too...

I remember when it was the gold standard. About the same time the original InvisionBoard appeared on the scene, then a free software until the author changed it starting with the v2 series.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
Time to take vB out back and shoot it. Or sell the company to Xenforo.

I remember when it was the gold standard. About the same time the original InvisionBoard appeared on the scene, then a free software until the author changed it starting with the v2 series.
Yeah me too. Honestly I remember vBulletin being THE software I had to try out one day and I'm glad it got to be in 2007 and not today.

haqzore

Devotee
Still, it was once a favorite for many, myself included once and the amount of time that passed since then doen't diminiah its value at the time.
Nobody said it did. I think the point is, this entire thread is quite old news.

AKA not news at all.

AKA a decade + since it was "top of the heap"

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
Nobody said it did. I think the point is, this entire thread is quite old news.

AKA not news at all.

AKA a decade + since it was "top of the heap"
Yeah I suppose. I just felt like throwing in my 2 cents even if it's kind of a dated opinion.

Last edited:

woody

eternal noobie
pirate4x4 for one....at one point, it was THE largest hardcore offroad forum out there. Much of the membership has abandoned ship and is on another site.

CarpCharacin

Habitué
pirate4x4 for one....at one point, it was THE largest hardcore offroad forum out there. Much of the membership has abandoned ship and is on another site.
That looks like a VerticalScope site, so not IB, but I did hear that VerticalScope put a lot of work into modifying vB, so IMO them giving up on it and migrating their sites to XF still says something about the state of vB.

rhody401

Neophyte
I'm moving my last vb4 holdout over to Xenforo next month. I'm getting concerned about ISPs turning off access to the old unsupported PHP version that it requires. VB5 doesn't seem like a viable option.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
vBulletin is owned by Internet Brands, which owns thousands of forums. IB has actually converted some of their forums from vB to Xenforo.
Not suprised.

Other departments within IB showed zero interest in using vB5 when I was there (yep, because its so bad).
Many use the internal vB 3.9, the rest will eventually need to move, and I guess a few already have, and chosen XF.

feldon30

Adherent
I remember how much sh!t I had slung at me for predicting the current situation. It's not even funny anymore, it's just sad.