vBulletin Cloud - Worth it?

lol12345

Participant
I was thinking about the vBulletin Cloud. Is it worth it?

1. Can I use my own domain name?
2. Which version can I install?
3. As long as my forum will be online, I will pay for the Cloud?
4. vBulletin hosting - slow, good, bad, the worst?

Thanks!

geebee

Fan
1: Yes
2: They will install the latest
3: Yes
4: Amazon I think?

Yearly will cost you $179.95 according to the website. You won't own the software. You could buy Xenforo $140, Asmallorange hosting for $50 and have complete control plus own your software. No brainer?

zappaDPJ

Administrator

Thanks!

1. My understanding is only as a sub-domain of vbulletin.net.
2. Installations and upgrades are handled by vBulletin over which you have no control.
3. I'm not sure what you mean by that, you pay an annual or monthly fee, the amount paid dependent on bandwidth and support levels required.
4. I've not had a huge amount of experience but from what little I've seen I'd describe their hosting as barely adequate with a fair amount of protracted downtime. However that's something you should probably get another opinion on.

Is it worth it? If you are serious about starting a new forum and want it to succeed I'd say not.

jekyll

Enthusiast
vBulletin Cloud is great except for the small detail that it's vBulletin.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
It's cheap to start with, rids you of the timewaster of setting up hosting and the install, and you can limit your spending if the forum doesnt take off.

If you must have a SaaS solution managed for you, you could try similar SaaS services like Urljet but trying vbCloud's starter plan for a month will give you a better idea what to expect and how your starting community receives it.
Obviously going off SaaS would be more cost-effective, but you'll have to manage hosting and install yourself or rely on trusted helpers.

Yearly will cost you $179.95 according to the website. You won't own the software. You could buy Xenforo $140, Asmallorange hosting for $50 and have complete control plus own your software. No brainer?
Add 40$ XF yearly renewal. With hosting, installs and upgrades not managed for you (or for free).

we_are_borg

Administrator

Thanks!

5. You can not run any add-ons or styles from external sources you cant install them. You can only change the styles that are installed and then change color.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
5. You can not run any add-ons or styles from external sources you cant install them. You can only change the styles that are installed and then change color.
You can provide custom CSS which allows far more control then simply changing colors.

Sherrie

Fan
If you intend to have a busy successful forum then no its not. I wouldn't even have it whilst its small because you will just have to convert and move away to your own server in the end anyway. Best to use the quieter time to get to know your forum software, how to manage it etc

It would suck to have to move down the track but because everything has been done for you, not have any idea on what you're doing.