Vbulletin 5.x Modifications - Why Aren't Developers Making Addons ?

VICE

tool
In other words, vB5 will always be a ****ty product unless a major rewrite happened?

Spinball

Aspirin
Yup. But not just a major rewrite, they need people with the know-how to do it properly.
In their utter stupidity, they put the people *with* the knowhow, *the* most qualified (and loyal) forum developers, in a position where they felt they had to leave the company. I've heard a number of times that the most valuable asset a company has is its staff. If that has any truth to it, then when most of the original dev team left, the asset worth of vBSI plummeted to virtually zero.
And now market share is flowing like a growing torrent from vB to XF.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
What is missing out of that discussion is how someone CAN add additional functionality to vBulletin 5 and it sounds like it isn't possible at all (except in the Jira), which isn't the case. So the real question to be answered is, how can functionality be added to vBulletin 5 and exactly why it is better than a hook/ plug-in system and does it offer the same or more abilities as the old plug-in/ product system of vB3-4? If that question can't be answered satisfactorily, then there is a real issue.

Sad thing is, everyone will be waiting forever for that answer.

Scott

VICE

tool
If my memory serves me right, I read it quite far back that they intentionally replaced the hook system with a new plugin system in vB5. If so, then it's really retarded to return back to the hook system instead of just further developing the new plugin system - that is unless that new plugin system turns out to be a ****ty one.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
What is missing out of that discussion is how someone CAN add additional functionality to vBulletin 5 and it sounds like it isn't possible at all (except in the Jira), which isn't the case. So the real question to be answered is, how can functionality be added to vBulletin 5 and exactly why it is better than a hook/ plug-in system and does it offer the same or more abilities as the old plug-in/ product system of vB3-4? If that question can't be answered satisfactorily, then there is a real issue.

Sad thing is, everyone will be waiting forever for that answer.

Scott

In theory the current VB5 system is safer then the plug-in system in VB4. In VB4 (or 3) if an Admin account is compromised then the hacker can add a shell script in a plugin giving them complete access to the server.

In VB5 is the Admin account is compromised they really can't do much but deface the vBulletin install itself, there is nothing they can really do to access the file system- at least there doesn't seem like there would be to me.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
That is nice to know and better security is a good argument.

Is there any documentation about how to program add-ons for vB5?

Scott

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
As far as I know there has never been official documentation for any version of vBulletin in regards of how to program add-ons. I have a simple sample in my blog at vbulletin.com, I know Wayne posted some examples too. There's a couple VB5 articles on vBulletin.org but not much out there.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
Wow, I had never seen that before... All my info came from vBulletin.org articles and looking how other peoples mods worked.

Came here to say the same thing. I knew for sure we had docs back then because I was a private beta tester/vB.org admin when 3.5 was begin developed. We wrote the bulk of the documentation (with a lot of help from the developers of course).

We had a bunch of threads related to writing plug-ins for vB 3.5 a long with examples of the best way to port modifications to the plug-in system. People like Kirby even went as far as writing helper applications to make the process easier and to work around limitations. The devs also requested that we suggest good places to put hooks in the code (there was a huge thread at vB.org and lots of hook locations were added).

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
Came here to say the same thing. I knew for sure we had docs back then because I was a private beta tester/vB.org admin when 3.5 was begin developed. We wrote the bulk of the documentation (with a lot of help from the developers of course).

We had a bunch of threads related to writing plug-ins for vB 3.5 a long with examples of the best way to port modifications to the plug-in system. People like Kirby even went as far as writing helper applications to make the process easier and to work around limitations. The devs also requested that we suggest good places to put hooks in the code (there was a huge thread at vB.org and lots of hook locations were added).

Those were the days! :unsure:

Daveaite

Neophyte
I don't think vB5 is completely doomed. It takes time for the userbase to adjust to changes. Similarly how you would change a theme on a forum, your community hates the feeling of change.

vB5 needs time to improve. If you keep an eye at the dev releases, they are fairly substantial and fast. That being said, they need to release faster, or else they'll lose their entire base.

vB4 was really crappy at first, but now it has become a very solid platform, with a massive mod community around it. vB5 is missing this and until all the developers come around, and start building for vB5, vB5 will feel empty.

I bought a vB5 license, but have been patiently waiting. I mainly use it to develop plugins so that when vB5 does become viable, vBSocial will have something to offer. ;) All my sites are still running on vB4. I even downgraded my vB5 site to vB4 because it truly could not do what vB4 can do right now. SEO wise, it lacked..big time. This was around release vBulletin 5.01

-daveaite

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
I don't think vB5 is completely doomed. It takes time for the userbase to adjust to changes. Similarly how you would change a theme on a forum, your community hates the feeling of change.

vB5 needs time to improve. If you keep an eye at the dev releases, they are fairly substantial and fast. That being said, they need to release faster, or else they'll lose their entire base.

vB4 was really crappy at first, but now it has become a very solid platform, with a massive mod community around it. vB5 is missing this and until all the developers come around, and start building for vB5, vB5 will feel empty.

I bought a vB5 license, but have been patiently waiting. I mainly use it to develop plugins so that when vB5 does become viable, vBSocial will have something to offer. ;) All my sites are still running on vB4. I even downgraded my vB5 site to vB4 because it truly could not do what vB4 can do right now. SEO wise, it lacked..big time. This was around release vBulletin 5.01

-daveaite

He that lives upon hope will die fasting.
Benjamin Franklin

But then again.....

Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have.
H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

:D

Scott

VICE

tool
That being said;

"There is also nothing wrong with saying the truth one day and it being a lie the next, as long as the reason for your lying was not your responsibility. "
S.Molinari

:D

Just for the lol.

VICE

tool
I don't get it.:unsure:

Scott
Nah, it was meant as a joke.
I am imagining you being haunted by the quote.
Well, we can't always be as eloquent all the time.
After all, we're just human.
Sometimes we just ended up writing something that doesn't really convey our intentions.