vb3.8 database surgery question

RPG Crossing

Neophyte
Some time ago (ok, it was a long time ago) one of the forums on our forum was deleted due to performance issues. Since then we've gotten a lot straightened out, and I'd like to stick it back in. Same old post, thread, and forum ids. Just stick it back in.

I've seen posts where people have tried this, most of them ending with 'seems to be working, I'll report back' with no reporting back. I'm curious whether anyone here has ever tried this, and what steps did you take to make sure you got all the important bits and updated the forum correctly?

I'm an advanced admin comfortable on the linux command line, but no guru. I am not familiar with many gui-based products but could install one if it was going to help.

vb3.8, millions of posts :)

Thanks for any thoughts/advice!

- Mark

Karll

Adherent
So am I right in thinking you need to restore this deleted forum from backup? If so, then presumably the backup you have is a database backup of the whole board? Do you already have a good idea of how to restore the forum and you're just asking if others have experience with this particular issue?

(I have no experience with the particular issue, but I have a good bit of general experience with MySQL-style databases.)

RPG Crossing

Neophyte
If so, then presumably the backup you have is a database backup of the whole board? Do you already have a good idea of how to restore the forum...?
It is a complete backup -- complete as of many years ago. I only want to pull out a specific part of it. Ideally, I would plug it back in with the same forum, thread, and post ids so that old internal links still work. And no, I guess that apart from thinking of writing a script to process the backup and do insertions, I do not have any plan for restoring this old forum chunk, and if you know of an easier/existing way to do it I'd be interested.

Karll

Adherent
OK, then I guess what you have to do is:
  1. Restore the old database backup to a temporary database.
  2. Use mysqldump and its --where option to dump just the rows you need from the right set of tables. This requires intimate knowledge of the database schema for vB3.8 and relevant plugins, plus some basic SQL skills.
  3. Import that dump into your live database.
Although, perhaps there are already some vB tools for this sort of thing? That would be simpler, obviously.

we_are_borg

Administrator
It can be done but you need to know what you are doing if done wrong and no backup of current forum it can be a disaster. The one that might be able to help is mysiteguy