vB Licenses

Nathan

I know nothing!
Well, I'm thinking of starting a Community using free software (phpbb, etc...). :cookoo:

I know, I hate the idea of it but I can't afford two more licenses right now.

So, heres my question. Whenever these forums make enough money to pay for a license I will upgrade ASAP. So, what free forum software upgrades to vBulletin the easiest?

Also, would anyone recommend buying a used copy of vB?

Thanks!
Nathan

wizard1974uk

Tazmanian Gremlin
Nathan said:
Well, I'm thinking of starting a Community using free software (phpbb, etc...). :cookoo:

I know, I hate the idea of it but I can't afford two more licenses right now.

So, heres my question. Whenever these forums make enough money to pay for a license I will upgrade ASAP. So, what free forum software upgrades to vBulletin the easiest?

Also, would anyone recommend buying a used copy of vB?

Thanks!
Nathan
There are importers available for:

phpBB2 to vbulletin
UBB to vbulletin

I think there others but not sure what the other are.

Ksilebo

Spork Fiend
I'd go with phpBB. Thats what I'd use if I couldnt afford vBulletin.

JeremyT

Neophyte
I personally prefer invision board over phpBB. I had a lot of problems with phpBB losing threads / posts (yes, on more than 1 database/server combo). Invision boards have always seems pretty stable, and have more options IMO.

floris

Habitué
I would not use phpBB.

IPB 2 vBulletin goes a bit better. And frankly, IPB is starting to feel like vBulletin more and more. So the change for the end-user wouldn't be too hard.

wizard1974uk

Tazmanian Gremlin
floris said:
I would not use phpBB.

IPB 2 vBulletin goes a bit better. And frankly, IPB is starting to feel like vBulletin more and more. So the change for the end-user wouldn't be too hard.
Invision have now raised their prices.