VB is still a thing?

whitetigergrowl

Participant
I'm surprised Internet Brands hasn't sold VB yet. Of course they would likely have to take a loss on it at this point.

VB.org and many older VB sites won't and aren't upgrading to VB5. The whole thing is a mess.

I remember when new updates would come out and everyone was quick to upgrade to them. Now, most older VB sites are stuck in limbo about what to do. Eventually they will have to do something.

Do you think there is any hope for them? Their official forums are mostly dead too. And plug-ins for it are few and far between. It's obvious many quit caring about it.

Sad to see it has fallen so far. I think a lot has worked against it.

The poor coding. The poor customer service. The lack of customer participation on their forums and elsewhere. Social media. The removal of some key features and lack of others. Poor plug-in support for VB5. No movement towards VB 6. Heck they barely made it to VB 5.5 Etc Etc.

And they really don't seem all that interested in being anything other than whatever they are. Which I'm not even sure they know what that is.

Sadly they are just a relic of a bygone era at this point. Maybe one day someone will actually do something worthwhile for it. Today isn't that day it seems however.

I guess we always have the memories. Right. Right?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
over valuing yourself + industry changes + lack of innovations + rejection of vision and ultimate loss of core developers = vBulletin

No one compares to Invision Community that's why you seldom hear of them in discussions of forums.

It's not about being in a league of their own, Invision Community is playing a whole different game.

Times have changed ...today developing communities goes beyond conventional forums. Invision The Future

giphy.gif

Last edited:

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
It will probably be around for another ten years. It's the XP of the forum world, although it might become the Fortran of the forum world (plenty of banks have 40 year old systems, ouch).

Noble

Participant
VB is dead i agree, IPS still leads in the forum software but you have to admit the gang at xenForo is not far behind them, I wish they would get a better management system for their add-ons.

whitetigergrowl

Participant
https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/forum-software

Honestly I don't trust any of the sites that supposedly track forum use. Results are too varying for many reasons.

The only real thing certain is VB is in decline. It's only a matter of time before both IPB and Xenforo elevate above it in terms of number of forums that use their software.

And if you look at these charts you'll see 2017 as the year VB really started to decline and IPB skyrocketed.
Screenshot.png Screenshot2.pngScreenshot3.pngScreenshot4.png

Last edited:

overcast

Adherent
Not a fan of Xenforo. I am more of IPS fan. VB is going to die if they don't make changes in their current pricing and the retention of clients.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I'm surprised Internet Brands hasn't sold VB yet

I would be more surprised to learn they found someone to buy it...

No one compares to Invision Community that's why you seldom hear of them in discussions of forums.

eh, I dont think I would agree with that. I visit many many forums and only 1 that I know of runs on Invision. Many still run on older versions of VB as well as XF.

VB is going to die if they don't make changes in their current pricing and the retention of clients.

vB died years ago, they just haven't buried the body yet.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
There are clearly a lot of forums still running on vB3 and vB4 but the majority of them will probably disappear as hosting companies update beyond php 7.1. vB5 is in my opinion still not fit for purpose and there isn't even a hint of anything new on the horizon. At this point in time it's hard to understand why vBulletin is still a thing at all.

whitetigergrowl

Participant
vB4 with an official supported responsive theme, will give a big breath to vBulletin.

I don't think they are doing anything more to VB 4. Their concentration is on VB 5. VB 4 and prior are no longer supported outside of maybe an important security update.

Besides. They want people to go to VB 5, not VB 4. Doing so would be counter-productive.

Vbulletin was once the defacto forum software. People were feverish about it. It was awesome. every new update brought something great and many forums would update to the new software almost without question and right away. New plug-ins would be added frequently. It was great.

But once Kier and a bunch of others left and Internet Brands took over, it went to crap.

The biggest tell I think is just looking at their official forums. They used to be ripe with life and activity. It shows the state of the software and community when the forums are as dead as they are. It also didn't help that at the beginning after IB took over and staffing changed, they were banning and restricting peoples access that got vocal and doing so without warning. Their customer service was pure and utter manure. They put themselves into this position.

IPB and Xenforo are the ones that will continue to gain from VBs insanely stupid decision making. Both forum software offer something a bit different depending on what you're looking for, but both have good support and overall a good bunch of people supporting their product. You can't go wrong with either honestly and I have nothing bad to say about either. I've supported both since their beginnings.

IPB and Xenforo will come out with a .5 update that maybe overhauls the design, adds some new features, and improves the product while fixing bugs.

VB comes out with .5 updates that seem to be just starting to add things IPB or Xenforo have had for some time with some bug fixes.

I would love to see VB doing great again. I really would. But that's obviously not happening anytime soon.

There is simply nothing about VB I could recommend right now. Nothing. Not customer support. Not the product. Nothing. I'd recommend PHPBB over VBulletin at this point. I wouldn't even recommend using VB 4 since things on the backend such as the supported PHP and MYSQL will eventually become outdated and obsolete and get eliminated from servers as well as have newer browser support issues. Let alone the security problems it can still bring as time goes on.

And if someone bought VB I have no clue what they could even do with it at this point. VB 5 is such a train wreck they would have to do some serious re-working of it. It would probably be best just to scrap it, create a new one then give an upgrade path to that from VB 5. Or temporarily gut some of it then quickly re-add features that have been fixed and improved. But that's probably not even worth it.

Anyone looking at VB I would discourage right now. There are better options out there. That is unless they are looking for a case study on what NOT to do with forum software and customer support. lol

fixer

I'm In My Prime
i get asked to build forums for clients at least a couple times a month and i tell them all to start a facebook group, there is nothing a forum does that the current users can not get from a facebook group

i made a vb4 site for a boerboel breeder it was a disaster they laid all the vb4 code on top of the vb3 stuff

HallofFamer

Habitué
Its the world's leading forumware, of course it is still a thing, you cant go wrong with the industry leader.

whitetigergrowl

Participant
Its the world's leading forumware, of course it is still a thing, you cant go wrong with the industry leader.

It's not the forum leader anymore. There are more of it out there because many can't afford to or afford to risk upgrading or switching, don't won't to, or won't switch because of other inhibitors.

When you have more forums still running outdated versions of your software that are no longer supported, versus updated software of yours that's been out there for several years that is, that's a problem and shows you no longer are the industry leader.

You need to remember VB was popular during its heyday and was one of the most popular forum software out there, but no longer is.

Some, for varying reasons, can't or won't switch and will run on outdated software until they no longer can. Some of those will shut down completely. And some will risk switching to something else. Most will not upgrade to VB5. That is clearly obvious by now.

Saying it's an industry leader is far from correct. That title belongs to IPB at this point and possibly even Xenforo to some extent.

The lack of activity on their official forum, the lack of plug-ins and plug-in support for VB 5 on the unofficial VB.org...which also hasn't moved to VB 5, the fact they have been on VB 5 for several years with no plans for a VB 6 in the near future (according to them), the fact the number of people switching from VB to other forum software has increased rapidly, etc etc...kinda says a lot about the state of VB as an 'industry leader'.

VB has become the Kmart of the forum world. They were a leader at one time, but have now become nothing more than a bargain basement option that is slowly pushing itself out of business because of its own idiotic decisions.

I know all these and I do, agree with you. What I wrote had the meaning of what I believe that can be a solution, so vB can continue be ...a thing :)

Yeah unfortunately that's obviously never going to happen. VB has painted itself into a corner.

whitetigergrowl

Participant
For the longest time I haven't been able to respond in the Off Topic forum and some other select forums on VB.com. I can see them, but not respond to anything. I didn't think much of it because the forums are so dead there anyways and I only would pop in from time to time to see whats new. I honestly thought it was just a permission error or something I never bothered to ask about.

So it wasn't until the last year I actually noticed I got an infraction in 2009, a few years after Jelsoft was sold to IB. This below was that infraction, which obviously still carries weight on the forums. I got no prior warnings. No anything. Just this. Which obviously affected the ability to post on certain forums and was never lifted.

I've never asked about it or asked for it to be removed. Just never bothered to. If I recall right this was during a time where tons of people were getting infractions and bans for whatever reason they felt. Usually with no warning. Prior to this and even afterwards I've gotten nothing else.

But it was this type of behavior towards customers to essentially try and silence them after IB bought them out and people didn't like the changes and got vocal, that started to push people away from VB. More so than just the software.

This was IMO a petty reason for a long term infraction. And the reason as Troll is hilarious. I know I'm no looker but come on. I've said worse (just as civil mind you) on IPB and Xenforos forums without much of an issue.

I guess Vbulletin couldn't handle the truth at the time. lol *shrugs*

This is that infraction and the reason. lol

---------------------------------------------
Wayne Luke Fri 16th Oct '09, 8:24am
Dear whitetigergrowl,

You have received an infraction at vBulletin Community Forum.

Reason: Troll
-------

-------

This infraction is worth 100 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
https://forum.vbulletin.com/node/2877296

Originally posted by hjmaier
Hello,

Why do I like the new licences? Because they guarantee a quicker development and improvement of vBulletin.

Look at the past. Many of us were complaining about the slow development and the long year missing CMS. The old licences supported that behavior. We paid some money to keep the right to download updates. Some paid it yearly, some paid only when something was released they really need. IB got our money anyway.

Just because they get paid more money, doesn't guarantee anything. It doesn't guarantee a quicker turnaround time. It doesn't guarantee a better product. It doesn't guarantee better customer service or support. There are no more guarantee's then, than there are now. More money doesn't equal anything.

I would like to know how it guarantee's anything. From what I saw in their pics and their extremely small lists of features, shows to me they are just playing catchup in many areas to other forums that have had those same features for quite awhile now and that members have been begging for. In some cases for YEARS. I haven't exactly seen much in the way of actual new features that are groundbreaking or earth shattering yet that require such a steep price change.

When you go to the grocery store and buy a can of soup that's 'premium' and you are paying .50 to .75 more for it are you getting a better product? Sometimes yes. But when the store jacks that price up another .50 to .75 from what it used to be, are you still getting a better product? No. It's the same product just with a higher price tag. The same logic applies here. It's getting jacked up in price, but like anything, there are no guarantee's. There are no guarantee's you'll like the end result or what's changed. There are no guarantee's that some of the features that have been moved, modified, removed, added, or even improved will be what you or your members like. Just because it has the Vbulletin name, doesn't always mean anything.

I'd say to test it first and make an informed decision. But if you wait to do that, you get screwed/punished and have to pay full price. (Real classy there IB/Jelsoft.) Now why would they run a promotion knowing full well you can't try it yet to make that informed decision. IMO logic has been thrown out the window. They are going under the simple logic that those that want to upgrade will do so regardless. Problem is, IMO I think they are just insulting our intelligence.

All the best,
vBulletin Community Forum

overcast

Adherent
I wonder though if they have plans to make changes and come up with new something to compete?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I wonder though if they have plans to make changes and come up with new something to compete?

From what I've read, their current plans are centred on improving vB5 with nothing else in the pipeline.