VB Admin/Mod CP

Sam FT

NASCAR Guru
I testing out vbulletin 3.0 RC4 and I wanted to get some feedback. Would it be in my best interested to change the folder/directory of the admin and mod cp?

Ogden2k

I would also enable error logging for your ACP, which I got working and is very handy.

ACP | Options | Error Handling & Logging.

Sam FT

NASCAR Guru
Ogden2k said:
I would also enable error logging for your ACP, which I got working and is very handy.

ACP | Options | Error Handling & Logging.
I tried the Error loggin...how do you have your pathway for the failed admin control panel setup. Do I give a pathway with the log file already created or do I just give a pathway for the directory and vb creates the log file? Because I have tried both ways nothing works.

Ogden2k

Create a folder in your Public_HTML directory (root directory of your webserver):

-vberrlogs
--cp
--db

Then once their's an issue, you go to Log Manager to view the erorrs.

Sam FT

NASCAR Guru
Do have to create separate directories? And do I have create the log file...like cp.log...or does vb create it? Still not anything to work...how do you have yours setup or give me example. I have made sure that that log errors can be written.

Last edited:

Ogden2k

Here's what I have:

/home/mysitename/public_html/logs/cp

/home/mysitename/public_html/logs/db

In the ACP options for Error & Logging, don't create the .log file name, just type in what I have but what applies to your settings. vB will generate the log files.

So, cp and db are subfolders for the logs folder. Give the DB and CP folder CHMOD permissions of 777.

I would also not index (in CPanel) the logs folder so people can't see it, they will get a 403 error.

Sam FT

NASCAR Guru
Now I understand what they were wanting now, thanks for your help on that part. So I put in "directory location" for admin control panel logs box. Then I went to Log Manager and there was "Admin Control Panel Failed Logins" listed. So when I click on it and then click on the view button below the box I got this error "Invalid File Specified". Do you have any idea what this is all about?

Last edited:

FansofRealityTV

Habitué
That's pretty risky, posting the directory names and locations here of directories that are CHMODded to 777. I wouldn't be so quick to do that.

Ogden2k

Those are not my actual paths. ;)

When you view the logs the way your asking, it's because there are no logs at the time. Try to lock your admin account by logging in 5 times incorrectly, that will add a log.