vB add-on redirect function led to tons of bad links, need help

MHB

Neophyte
If you are here Dragon Byte, I know you fixed this at some point, but that news never made it to me and my forum has suffered. I'm not here to attack you, rather to fix the damage, but you are obviously free to comment.

There is a redirect function that was turned on that I was not aware of. It was not only turned on, it was able to be used by ANYONE and many bad sites found out and used it. This has created 10,000's of backlinks for my site that are terrible. I've stopped the redirect from working but here is an example of what it looked like.

I can't post links yet, which I understand so the idea of this problem looks like this if you fill in the blanks that it's a link.

"mathhelpboards" + /redirect-to/ + BADSITE

I hope that's not too explicit admins. I will remove ASAP if so. There are so many of these. If you click it, the link doesn't work so I hope that helps but other than this what can I do to tell Google that these are not part of my site? This is so crazy and unexpected.

Jameson (Math Help Boards)

TLChris

Administrator
Hi Jameson,
So you were running the DragonByte SEO addon? Have you contacted DragonByte directly?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Hi Jameson,
So you were running the DragonByte SEO addon? Have you contacted DragonByte directly?
I help admin the site Jameson owns (it's where I learned to admin), and yes, we were running the DragonByte SEO addon with vB, and I am pretty sure Jameson at least made attempts to contact them directly. We have a highly customized site and recently ported from vB 4.2.5 to XF 2.1.x and so we've been very busy ironing things out and porting our features, so I kind of lost track about the exact details of this particular issue in all the excitement.

I have asked Jameson if he'd like me to post any details for him until the issue with him not being able to reply to this thread gets resolved.

MHB

Neophyte
Yes thank you mysiteguy . I just submitted like 20,000 spam links that are horrific. I think it will take some time to work but so happy this could help.

MHB

Neophyte
If anyone has experience with fixing large scale spam using the Google disavow method or others, it might be a good topic to have. I'm not sure though how common this is.