vB 5 Cloud - worth it?

Oedipus

Enthusiast
I want to start a new forum. I was looking at IPS and I liked it.

I came across vB 5 Cloud and the prices are affordable.

Does any of you use vB 5 Cloud, what are your experiences?

Is vB 5 now actually stable?

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I’m using it on one of my forums for the past month. It’s not bad at all. The only comlaint I have is the lack of add ons but it is what it is.

Last edited:

zappaDPJ

On the plus side updates and backups are handled for you and excluding your domain costs it's an all inclusive price. It appears to be more secure than the self hosted version plus you can bail at any time and ask for your data.

On the negative side you can't upload themes or add-ons so customization is extremely limited. It's also vBulletin 5 which has not been at all well received by the majority of forum owners.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
If you need a simple forum with its hosting managed, vbCloud has the least expensive pricing relative to competing services.
Some say it's still ressource-heavy but that would apply to the self-hosted software - a SaaS client would not need bother about how vBS optimizes its infrastructure.

On the negative side you can't upload themes or add-ons so customization is extremely limited
Addons are overrated nowadays and no longer as indispensable to have as in the days when many functionalty were not part of the base software. Many used to modify the vanilla configuration in ways that cant be experienced on mobile. Integrations with official and 3rd-party services are the trending way to mod an install - no bloat, and accomodates forum software migrations.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I noticed you wrote cloud... The cloud is good
On the plus side updates and backups are handled for you and excluding your domain costs it's an all inclusive price. It appears to be more secure than the self hosted version plus you can bail at any time and ask for your data.

On the negative side you can't upload themes or add-ons so customization is extremely limited. It's also vBulletin 5 which has not been at all well received by the majority of forum owners.

I just noticed the cloud part after vb5. I used the cloud for a couple of weeks so that's definitely one of the only flaws about using it. Add ons and adding styles are a no. The good thing is VB5 comes with around 10 different templates built in and fairly easy to customize.

Bengie

Participant
If you have a host then it is a really easy board to upload and work your self.

I use both VB and XF and VB seems to get the most spiders crawling

It's only a local forum but I bought the licence years ago.

I don't think you need the cloud, an expense not really required and I know nothing about
coding or anything, I'm just a 77 year old enjoying the internet.

Forums - Plymouth Council

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
If you have a host then it is a really easy board to upload and work your self.

I use both VB and XF and VB seems to get the most spiders crawling

It's only a local forum but I bought the licence years ago.

I don't think you need the cloud, an expense not really required and I know nothing about
coding or anything, I'm just a 77 year old enjoying the internet.

Forums - Plymouth Council
You bring up two valid points. One you really don’t need cloud. It’s real easy to install and setup. Now if he/she doesn’t want to bother with the stress associated with keep it up to date then cloud is the way to go. Second you said that spiders are on your vb forum a lot more than compared to Xen. I hate to agree with you. I have both softwares obviously on two separate forums and my vb one is constantly bombarded with spiders. I’m talking about 60-150 at a time.

Oedipus

Enthusiast
I don't really need any addon. And I like forum being as simple as possible.

I would like to have my own license but it's the price I can't afford right now.

I will definitely be looking for a second-hand license after a few months.

Paul M

Super Moderator
If you want a simple forum, and dont want the hassle of hosting it yourself, its actually a reasonable option.

Dont believe the page that says 'Silver' is the most popular option, it isnt, and never was, the 'Bronze' was always more popular.

Oedipus

Enthusiast
If you want a simple forum, and dont want the hassle of hosting it yourself, its actually a reasonable option.

Dont believe the page that says 'Silver' is the most popular option, it isnt, and never was, the 'Bronze' was always more popular.

Thank you for your reply.

Cloud would be a good start. And I actually like vBulletin 5.