Using xenforo without license

bugmyday121

Aspirant
my friend bought xenforo license and i install the same files and the license is point to his domain

will there be any issue ?

i will buy later once forum start getting some revnue for now will i have to worry?

haqzore

Devotee
Yes, this is an issue and you should worry.

One license purchase can be used on 1 domain at a time, which has to be setup in the XenForo customer area.

You should NOT be using the license. This could likely lead to your friends license being terminated/suspended.

There are many free options if you need to wait for revenue. Use one of them.
See the link here and filter by "free": https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/tblos-the-big-list-of-scripts-software.151872/

bugmyday121

Aspirant
Yes, this is an issue and you should worry.

One license purchase can be used on 1 domain at a time, which has to be setup in the XenForo customer area.

You should NOT be using the license. This could likely lead to your friends license being terminated/suspended.

There are many free options if you need to wait for revenue. Use one of them.
See the link here and filter by "free": https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/tblos-the-big-list-of-scripts-software.151872/
apart from that will there be any other issue?

Taylor J

Fan
Your website can get taken down too, just use a free solution until you can purchase your own license and migrate from free to XF.

TLChris

Administrator
Legally? A fair bit can happen.

You shouldn't be able to used the one button upgrade from what I see either.
You won't be able to download addons either, as you are unlicensed, as well as support.

If you are unable to purchase a license now, find another solution.
Software is not the reason why a community is a success, it's the integrity of the community.
Don't compromise.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
apart from that will there be any other issue?
There is a HUGE issue, the moral one. What you are doing is kind of stealing and that is not cool. Not having money is not a valid excuse imo. Use a free forum like Smf till you get the money to buy xf.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Your friend's licence could be suspend with no refund if its used on more than one site.

If you want to start a public-facing community, it'd be a lot less troublesome to adopt software you can freely use - nowadays a lot of good free ones exist that you can start with. It might sound like it'd be a worse experience, but you'd be surprised how similarly almost all software works and feels on mobile devices (assuming mobile and youngsters are your target audience).