Using Twitter to Generate Forum Traffic

JulieVA

Habitué
The members of my forum who follows me at twitter;
won't they be irritated if I tweet too much & flood their notifications?
Anyone who is using mobil alerts on twitter is a noob & you will not care about people like that.

You should be tweeting every 10 to 15 minutes during your audience's prime presence hours.

Twitter is like instant messaging. If you're not there to see a tweet, it did not happen. Also, Twitter users like twitter because it provides small bits of info received really fast. That appeals to certain personalities.

For example, if i am bored... like... at the doctor's office in the waiting room, I know my twitter stream will entertain AND inform me. I want to see many tweets over the period of a half hour. The ones I don't care for, I'll ignore.

JulieVA

Habitué
it needs to be automatic, otherwise its just too much effort and there is too little time to keep up with it.
A good social media presence is made up of automation PLUS live interaction. There is really no other way to make it work for you.

I dedicate about an hour per day on Social Media for my site. On weekends, it's 2 hours on Saturday & 2 hours on Sunday. That's not much because of the return on investment for that time. I have a FT job, a family, & I go to the gym - so it can be done.

Alfa1

Administrator
That may be possible with a few thousand members, but I get millions of people every month and 210k members. They keep me quite busy.

JulieVA

Habitué
That may be possible with a few thousand members, but I get millions of people every month and 210k members. They keep me quite busy.

The number of members you already have has nothing to do with your Social Media activities to attract new members...unless you're stating "hey my site has XXXXXXX members - you'll enjoy networking here ((link)).

Please post a link to your site so I can actually see a forum with 210K members and MILLIONS of people each month!

Alfa1

Administrator
My sites are pretty explicit, nsfw and controversial, so I will not post the url. Here is more information:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...3792-my-first-million-unique-monthly-visitors (first million unique visitors in 2011)
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...356-my-second-million-unique-monthly-visitors (2nd million unique visitors in 2012)
3rd million unique visitors per month was reached last December. In January we already went up to 3.5 million and are at 3.6 million now.

Even though I have accumulated a lot of traffic in the last decade of working on my sites, I do think that social networking can increase this further. I can spare an occasional moment to respond to twitter / Facebook messages, but it happens that it takes weeks or months before I get to it.

JulieVA

Habitué
I'll take your word for it - not going to click the links.

Explicit sites can usually attract lots of members - There's always a market for female flesh.

So, it looks like a) you can't use socuial media to grow your site due to the content (they would bar you anyway) and b) you don't need to as long as there are lonely / horny men on the Internet.

For the rest of us - social media is a must :)

JulieVA

Habitué
I think that using trending hashtags which are connected to your niche makes complete sense but be careful - Using trending hashtags which have nothing to do with your niche is deceptive... & twitter calls it spam.

Good luck!

KristinaRoy

Aspirant
Thanks JulieVA to share this useful information about using Twitter as a marketing tool. I am using twitter to increase traffic but did not get desirable traffic so far. I hope, your tips will assist me.

avowzone

Aspirant
Thanks for your tips. I am using twitter to drive traffic to my blog and it's working very well.

Chrisy__1

Participant
I do find that Twitter can send traffic but I have yet to have anything other than hits from it, no actual members have discovered us from there. Anyone had more luck?

Zero Numbers

Adherent
Hey Julie, how did you get the twitter users to stay and be active on your forum?

My forum is going with this tweet movement. It's doing what has been mentioned in here. Hoping for results, which I find annoying IMO.

Jack_Rouse

Use The Force
They say you learn something everyday, and today I've learned the importance of the hashtag to target your tweets, before I used the # I had 2 followers on Twitter after two weeks and me following 182, after one # tweet my followers increased 8.

That says to me that targeted traffic works, however small.

It's all about getting your name out there, and getting people talking about you, and re-tweeting, then Google starts to take notice and you climb the rankings, it all takes time, some are just impatient.

JulieVA

Habitué
Hey Julie, how did you get the twitter users to stay and be active on your forum?

My forum is going with this tweet movement. It's doing what has been mentioned in here. Hoping for results, which I find annoying IMO.
Sorry it took so ling for me to see your question.

The answer is: valuable / interesting / engaging content + Social Media engagement.

JulieVA

Habitué
HammerDown, they suspended the spammer after my complaint. They also froze the old account so it can never be used again. They also removed all the tweets from that old account.

Bottom line - copying someone's tweets & spoofing another user's account is not tolerated on Twitter - as long as the target makes a complaint.