*This is a follow up to Using Contests & Giveaways to Increase Forum Traffic

View attachment 39966 View attachment 23106

Table of Contents
1. What is Rafflecopter?
2. Tips
3. Outcomes
4. Conclusion

1. What is Rafflecopter?
Rafflecopter is a customizable & embeddable (html) giveaway entry system. Rafflecopter Basic is free. You can sign up for Rafflecopter and view Rafflecopter FAQs here. Please review the Rafflecopter FAQs before reading the rest of this article.

Image Samples:

View attachment 23107 View attachment 23108

2. Tips
  • Set up a test giveaway and play around with your form until you are very comfortable using it. Note: Changes are instant - there is no need to recopy & re-paste html code to re-create your giveaway form each time you make changes.
  • Rafflecopter forms tend to use server resources, so once you're done with a giveaway, remove the form.
  • Pay special attention to the Terms & Conditions portion of your Rafflecopter form. (Refer to Avoiding Trouble in Using Contests & Giveaways to Increase Forum Traffic.)

We embed a Rafflecopter form within a designated page on our site. We also post an official giveaway announcement to accompany it. You'll need to do what works for you.

3. Outcomes
We have used Rafflecopter for a few giveaways and here's what we've experienced so far:

1) Site traffic increased significantly
Many people in my niche (parenting) are used to Rafflecopter forms for entering giveaways. Some people in the parenting niche openly state they will not enter giveaways if no Rafflecopter form is present. Advertising an "easy Rafflecopter entry" for a popular prize is a sure way to get more than a few clicks on your site.

2) Quality site traffic increased only slightly
Rafflecopter forms do not appear to...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
What a nice read Julie.
aimageup.jacquiidesigns.com_di_UI01.gif for sharing this info. It should come in handy for a project I'm hoping to revitalize soon.

J.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Sad I missed this all these days. Any alternatives JulieVA ?

PS: Unable to rep.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Some people in the parenting niche openly state they will not enter giveaways if no Rafflecopter form is present.
Just curious, is there any reasoning behind such action?

JulieVA

Habitué
Sad I missed this all these days. Any alternatives JulieVA ?

PS: Unable to rep.

There are other companies which offer alternatives to Rafflecopter, but so far Rafflecopter is what most folks are familiar with :)

JulieVA

Habitué
Addendum:

Beware of Cheaters

Be sure to check the entries for validity. Cheating is part of the Giveaway Junkie Effect described in the opening post.
Cheating includes things like not tweeting or posting a phony tweet link, saying that you joined the forum when you didn't, saying you commented in the forum when you didn't, & more. You can also have people creating multiple accounts to increase their chances of winning.

What you can do: Verify the entries on the rafflecopter page or download it to a spreadsheet. Compare the entries to the forum activities which you made part of the entry process. If you made social media activity part of the entry process - check it. For example, look for phony tweet links...look to see whether the person actually "liked" your Facebook fan page.

Before designating someone as the winner, check their activity again. Click "disqualify" to remove them if they cheated. Rafflecopter will pick another winner randomly.

Sometimes I have to do this three times before I have a valid winner.

RaynerMedia

Participant
I love Rafflecopter. I've used it before for another site and it worked really good. I will check my funds and will do one for my site pretty soon!