Using Channels to Track AdSense Effectiveness On a vBulletin Community

[Zoints]WildChild submitted a new Article:

Most community owners use Google's AdSense to both generate some revenue towards server costs and to make some profit. The placement and color-scheme of these ads are critical to gaining a high Click-Through rate and generating income.

One of the features of AdSense is that of Channels. Channels allow you to group some of the AdSense codes you have placed on your site and then see the statistics of how your channel is performing. This article will focus on creating channels that will generate statistics on the placement of your ads - are your ads being clicked near the bottom of your page, or top? Are members clicking your ads more, or are guests? Is the archive generating more clicks than your actual community? With the recommendations in this article, you will be able to easily tell, and then tweak your AdSense placement based on the results you see to maximize profit.

This article will cover a broad range of topics, so that even the beginning community owner can start putting AdSense on their community in the most effective manner. If you are already familiar with AdSense and/or already have an existing AdSense account, you can skip some of these steps accordingly.

STEP ONE: Signing Up For AdSense

1. Go to the Google AdSense Sign-Up site. You can follow my referral link here.

2. Click on "Click Here to Apply"
clickhere.PNG

3. Fill in the the application with correct and valid details. Most users will want to select an "Individual Account." Also remember to input your community's main URL: www.yoursite.com

4. Now you must wait for an approval e-mail from Google, making sure your site is in agreement with their TOS.

5. Once your site is approved, navigate to www.google.com/adsense and input the e-mail and password you chose in Step 3.
login.PNG

STEP TWO: Forming Your Ads and Placing Them On Your Community

Note: Again, some of you already have AdSense placed on your community and need only place them into channels. For those who are creating ads for the first time or want to place them differently on the site, the following ad set-ups are only a...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonnie

Aspirant
This must be old... I have no such code for the Archive channel in my index.php

I have no $do anywhere in the index.php either. Any ideas?

jackceltic1888

Participant
Good post!

I have about 100 unique memebrs p/d. How much could I expect from AdSense?

I have never botherd as I have never thought it would generate much money!

Phrost

Full Contact Webmaster
100 uniques you'll probably be hitting around $1 a day tops unless you've got some really good keywords associated with your forum's niche, based off assuming a 2% CTR with $0.50 ads.

Unless the math part of my brain just isn't working today.

comperr

Master Admin
interesting, except that that pic is againt google TOS.
You can not tell us how much you earn (try opiening it up in MSPaint and blacking out the $s

jackceltic1888

Participant
Phrost said:
100 uniques you'll probably be hitting around $1 a day tops unless you've got some really good keywords associated with your forum's niche, based off assuming a 2% CTR with $0.50 ads.

Unless the math part of my brain just isn't working today.

Thats a joke.:bs:

Thanks mate!

hiphopave.net

Participant
Adding archive ads has skyrocketed revenue for me in the past and is an excellent tool for getting revenue out of a well SEO'd site

devang

Devang
this is real good article, and it seems clearly you would have taken special time to write this. Good work.

Adders13

Aspirant
Seems like a great article, just setup this on my forum..

Will post feedback in a day or two..

Adders13

Aspirant
This works very well. I thought all of my clicks were from users registered to my site. I now know otherwise.

I also know where to remove my ads from because they are uneffective.

Great guide.

Works flawlessly.

Thanks.

luism

Neophyte
Great article... but I have 3.82 :(

If I didnt have Adsense integrated with VB 3.8.2 already this would solve my issue..
How can I do the same as above but with the new version?
How can I Link a channel to a code..?
Where is the code?

Thanks
-Luis:confused: