Using a Content Delivery Network

eva2000

Habitué
No, as I mentioned the first byte time for me is an issue.
With NetDNA/LiteSpeed its always less than 400ms or max 500. With CF it has always been +800.

I would extremely recommend LiteSpeed. Even the free (OpenLiteSpeed) is amazing and comes with major functions.
curious how you're testing TTFB ? webpagetest.org ? which region and speed profile ?

or simple test via keycdn performance tester https://tools.keycdn.com/performance

theadminzone has TLChris configured with Google Cloud CDN running my Centmin Mod LEMP stack with Nginx/PHP-FPM

keycdn-performance-theadminzone-240120-01.png

My Xenforo forums on Cloudflare Business plan running my Centmin Mod LEMP stack with Nginx/PHP-FPM on 4 CPU/8GB KVM VPS

keycdn-performance-community.centminmod.com-240120-01.png

My Wordpress blog is running Cloudflare Free plan with CF Workers running my Centmin Mod LEMP stack with Nginx/PHP-FPM

keycdn-performance-servermanager.guide-240120-01.png

CF Free plan's Bangalore India visitors get redirected to Singapore CF datacenters. CF business and enterprise depending on routes can either direct Indian visitors to Indian CF datacenters or Singapore CF datacenters.

Kyrie

Fan
curious how you're testing TTFB ? webpagetest.org ? which region and speed profile ?

or simple test via keycdn performance tester https://tools.keycdn.com/performance

theadminzone has TLChris configured with Google Cloud CDN running my Centmin Mod LEMP stack with Nginx/PHP-FPM

View attachment 53894

My Xenforo forums on Cloudflare Business plan running my Centmin Mod LEMP stack with Nginx/PHP-FPM on 4 CPU/8GB KVM VPS

View attachment 53895

My Wordpress blog is running Cloudflare Free plan with CF Workers running my Centmin Mod LEMP stack with Nginx/PHP-FPM

View attachment 53896

CF Free plan's Bangalore India visitors get redirected to Singapore CF datacenters. CF business and enterprise depending on routes can either direct Indian visitors to Indian CF datacenters or Singapore CF datacenters.

I noticed some of your data has vastly longer.. "longer in the sense of more time, but it is ms" .. load times. In your experience is it better to set-up the nodes so it's a consistent experience? Example is that I'm talking about Frankfurt vs NY.

I might be asking a dumb question, so my apologies but I like to understand things.

eva2000

Habitué
I noticed some of your data has vastly longer.. "longer in the sense of more time, but it is ms" .. load times. In your experience is it better to set-up the nodes so it's a consistent experience? Example is that I'm talking about Frankfurt vs NY.

I might be asking a dumb question, so my apologies but I like to understand things.
Geographic distance relative to target destination and even speed/software/hardware used on each respective test and target destination servers impact response times.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
No, as I mentioned the first byte time for me is an issue.
With NetDNA/LiteSpeed its always less than 400ms or max 500. With CF it has always been +800.

I would extremely recommend LiteSpeed. Even the free (OpenLiteSpeed) is amazing and comes with major functions.
Which country are you testing this from? How does it vary from different locations?

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I have done many optimization projects and tested many services. Cloudflare has never optimized the websites as it is advertised.

If you want a fast website here are my recommendations based on my experience to have a faster page load:

Xenforo:

- Get a fast hosting with LiteSpeed webserver
- Install the LiteSpeed plugin on your XenForo
- Use MaxCDN which now is Stackpath (I have tested 4-5 CDN cervices and this one was the fastest with an user-friendly interface.

By a little bit modification on the XF templates and hiding unwanted css and js files for guests I got 1.2sec loading time at WebPageTest.org

I have also done it for Woltlab BB for one of my customers which was also easier than XF as many optimization options are already included in the software settings.

Recently LiteSpeed has released a new service which loads all your website through their cloud system (which also includes amazon aws). They give you 20GB/m for free. You would need to add an “a name” record for your domain which not all registrars support at the moment. You would need to use cloudflare and add the a names to use this service. I am still testing this service and can not provide you with a good/non-biased feed back.
If these alternatives are cost-effective, then that would be really good, because as I have found, Cloudflare is quickly heading towards the point of being "mainstream", it's very centralized and it's starting to get into the business of moderation (e.g. 8chan). They did terminate the Daily Stormer previously, but I have little love for a nazi site.

I have heard of MaxCDN previously, but it sounded fairly expensive and was fairly overkill for what I actually needed.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
If these alternatives are cost-effective, then that would be really good, because as I have found, Cloudflare is quickly heading towards the point of being "mainstream", it's very centralized and it's starting to get into the business of moderation (e.g. 8chan). They did terminate the Daily Stormer previously, but I have little love for a nazi site.

I have heard of MaxCDN previously, but it sounded fairly expensive and was fairly overkill for what I actually needed.
I don't know what their current rates are because I'm grandfathered in. However, I'm paying less per month than a meal at a fast food place for the combined traffic of 4 big boards.

eva2000

Habitué
I don't know what their current rates are because I'm grandfathered in. However, I'm paying less per month than a meal at a fast food place for the combined traffic of 4 big boards.
not cheap these days but cheaper than before (for maxcdn) with https://www.stackpath.com/pricing/

1TB = US$10/month and additional

Code:
Additional CDN Bandwidth
Up to 100TB consumed in one month    $0.04/GB
100TB – 1PB consumed in one month    $0.03/GB
More than 1PB consumed in one month    Call

Other Additional Resources
1M additional WAF requests consumed in one month    $0.5
1 additional WAF rule    $1/month
1 additional monitored service    $2/month
1M additional DNS queries consumed in one month    $5
based on those rates for one of my clients cost difference between Cloudflare Business plan = US$200/month versus StackPath CDN/DNS/WAF = US$5,000+ /month

Last edited:

mysiteguy

Fanatic
not cheap these days but cheaper than before (for maxcdn) with https://www.stackpath.com/pricing/

1TB = US$10/month and additional

Code:
Additional CDN Bandwidth
Up to 100TB consumed in one month    $0.04/GB
100TB – 1PB consumed in one month    $0.03/GB
More than 1PB consumed in one month    Call

Other Additional Resources
1M additional WAF requests consumed in one month    $0.5
1 additional WAF rule    $1/month
1 additional monitored service    $2/month
1M additional DNS queries consumed in one month    $5
based on those rates for one of my clients cost difference between Cloudflare Business plan = US$200/month versus StackPath CDN/DNS/WAF = US$5,000+ /month
While it may be true it's less expensive for extremely busy sites in some use cases, few forums (even big boards) consume that kind of bandwidth. The average forum owner is going to come out cheaper using MaxCDN or BunnyCDN than Cloudflare, if they are going with a paid solution (of course, for free, Cloudflare is great for many! :) ).

Plus it's not an apple to apple comparison. Some things included with Stackpath are added with Cloudflare and visa versa. Some things are cheaper on one versus the other. There isn't a one size fits all solution, especially when it's enterprise-level bandwidth, so a cost analysis based on usage should be done for those situations.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
A good comparison might be to compare Cloudflare Argo (a similar product) to Stackpath, although if you forgo those perks, then Cloudflare may come out a lot cheaper on a large scale.

Tiered caching is one important perk as a page is less likely to be in a geographic cache for a smaller site (as opposed to a larger one and especially with Cloudflare spewing out more and more geographic data-centers) and that cache could fetch the item from the closest data-center which does have it rather than hitting your origin server.

Cloudflare Argo also reduces the number of timeouts and general latency.

There is a question about what you really need though and how big you're realistically going to grow (throwing one thing out for another is an option later on too). The goal is ultimately to find what works for you and what saves you money.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
I activated Cloudflare Pro with Rocket Loader today will see if it makes any difference

Last edited:

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Downgraded to free today and turned rocker loader off

TheChiro

Devotee
Downgraded to free today and turned rocker loader off
Pro is great for the WAF. If you don't have DDoS, not sure if there are any additional perks of it other than increased firewall rules and page rules. I was on the Business plan and downgraded to Pro due to CF saying our settings were the reason for going down from DDoS (when they have a 100% SLA). Downgraded to Pro, learned the ins and outs of WAF, haven't gone down since. Once the DDoSers learned they can't take us down, we haven't had an attack in about 1 month (inb4 they attempt again). I check it every day to see if there are new rules I need to set in place but the last couple of attacks were taken care of by the rules I already had in place. I've also managed to entirely cut out all the Chinese spam I was receiving by blocking China from registering on the site lol 3 months I've had that rule in place and just yesterday we got our first contact asking why they can't register. I'll take manually creating an account once every 3 months to cut out all the spam we were getting. :p