User chat - On or off site?

Kyrie

Fan
1579884431716.png

This is my current chatroom/box

I'm a big believer that chatrooms are a bad idea because you want those posts, right? But here's my issue. Should I keep this on-site or should I just make a discord group?

haqzore

Devotee
I'm a big believer that chatrooms are a bad idea because you want those posts, right? But here's my issue.
I think you've missed the actual issue.

If you think they're a bad idea - why do you have one?

Do you have a solid answer to that question?

Either way, Discord. Nothing will compare feature/functionality wise.
It's too bad you don't use IPS.

Kyrie

Fan
I think you've missed the actual issue.

If you think they're a bad idea - why do you have one?

Do you have a solid answer to that question?

Generally, I feel they are a bad idea.
I have one because I think members of this community will only have maybe 3 minutes max to check it out. I think a chatbox between members will allow stronger connections to be made.

I am running IPS and I heavily debated between that one and the chatbox. I decided on the chatbox to keep users on site but maybe it's not worth it for discord?

I'm just worried about having to have users download discord as my audience probably doesn't use it.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Consider the ephemereal nature of random chatter.
On-site chat will distract your members from contributing content of lasting value, absorb activity that would've otherwise helped the forum. It will also be unavailable during downtimes and other crisis situations.
Keeping chat offsite will generally be wiser, as it will segraegate populations according to their interests (many prefer the no-pressure curation of forums, while others prefer to engage in shortlived or realtime discussion).

Riot entered the chat

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Very nice, looks promising. Thanks for sharing.

Though the problem here (for me) is getting users to download another app that'll likely only be used for my site.
You can use it directly from the website with notifications, no app needed.
Just like discord, Riot also works for other communities running matrix (if you're part of or run many). It's a more userfriendly alternative to IRC and includes more features than classic web chat scripts and shoutboxes.

Impaler

Aspirant
I think chat is not a good idea in general. Because of the activity you might loose. But if you decide to use - make a chat within the forum, at least you will get traffic and ad impressions.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
View attachment 53897

This is my current chatroom/box

I'm a big believer that chatrooms are a bad idea because you want those posts, right? But here's my issue. Should I keep this on-site or should I just make a discord group?

I once had a new member who was trying to monetize my niche into a discord for himself...he posted a few times about how important it was etc etc lol... I refused him a few times, caught him messaging some of my members trying to steal traffic for himself and eventually had to ban him.
For us..its all about us having EVERYTHING about Sacred on our forum or in our downloads or in our Wiki. We've tried chat 8 or nine years ago but found it wasnt really "us"... more about quick emotional lisaision than well worded out, thoughtful, crafted posts. Because we've never allowed live chat on our forum or in fact allow our name to be used or officially "support" it... all the convo and questions come to our forum...they are documented (Who doesn't love posts!) and easily searchable, referenceable and documentable. The last part is important because our Wiki is where convos become searchable fact and how people get to answers they ask on Google about the game we support.
Good luck... and don't give in!!

:)

gogo

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
I used to have one but I got rid of it, feeling that people would use my forum itself less. It may not have been the case but it's something to keep in mind.

R0binHood

Habitué
Does that offer anything that Jaxel's doesn't?

Although I would prefer onsite chat as opposed to off site. The probelm is getting something good, reliable and cross platform.

Riot seems very interesting. Has anyone integrated it into their site to use as on onsite IM tool?

Num7

Adherent
We had a Discord until yesterday. We closed it down, as it became a total cesspool of trolls and bullies.

I haven't reinstalled an on site chat yet. I want to take some time to think about it. I'm curious to know what others think as well.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
My experience is you either have on-site chat visible in which case it tends to dominate or hidden behind a tab where it gets ignored. Neither option is particularly desirable and I rather think forum chat-rooms are a thing of the past much like the add-on arcade.

Off-site e.g. discord is clearly more in keeping with the expectations of the modern user but generally the devil's spawn as far as the forum owner is concerned so in short...
Chatroom? Not at all