Upgrading to 2.1 from 1.5, but what about these plugins?

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
I would like to upgrade to the latest version of xenForo soon, but I have some plugins I use on 1.5 that I kinda like. I don't know if 2.1.x has made some of them unnecessary, or if there are better solutions than what my limited research has shown. Can you provide a little guidance?

I'm using Alert Improvements by Xon 1.5.5 and found the same author has created a version for xF2, Alert Improvements by Xon 2.4.7. I've been happy with the plugin, so I'm guessing I'll be happy with the version ported to xF2.

Custom Tabs 1.6.3 is what I use to be able to add menu tabs that lead to some of my WordPress pages or categories. I didn't see anything similar for xF2.

Minimum Post Length Enforcer 1.0.4 is something I would have expected xF core would handle, but it didn't in 1.5. The only alternatives for 2.1.x is [XenConcept] Minimum post length 2.0.4 ($15.00) or [XenMax] - Minimum Message Length 2.0.0. My problem isn't with the occasional reply that is posted with a smiley, image or word with less than x-number of characters, but it is helpful to prevent new topics posted like that.

I really like Post Ratings 1.7.5 and I think most of my members do too. Is [TH] Reactions Plus 1.0.1 ($25) the best alternative for xF2?

Register Email 3.8 is another plugin answer to something I would have thought xF core would handle - sending an email alert to me whenever a new member joins. I don't use email validation or hold new members in the moderation queue, but I do like to know when someone joins because they don't usually follow the instructions in their welcome PM to let me know if they are pro or consumer. Register email 2.8 is the same author's xF2 plugin.

Remove Profile Posts 1.0.1 I don't like allowing posts to profiles because I keep search engines away from them and it would result in a lot of decent discussion NOT taking place on the forums where search engines do crawl. I haven't found an alternative.

I like showing Similar Threads 5.3 at the bottom of forum pages and was happy to see the same author has Similar threads 5.3 for xF2. Any other options?

Unread Post Count 1.2.0 has been great and [AddonsLab] Unread Post Count 1.4.0 has taken over the xF2 version of the plugin. However, it requires [AddonsLab] Navigation Badge 1.0.0, which is another plugin and I would like to limit the number of plugins if I can. Any other alternative?

[bd] Widget Framework 2.6.3 is actually quite an important plugin for me. It allows me to have a sidebar on every forum page and I can have ads and other non-standard content modules. It doesn't look like the plugin author is developing anything like this for xF2. What should I do?

[WMTech] - Create New Thread Global 1.0.6 is another plugin that has been very helpful - I have to move far fewer topics to the correct forum since installing that. But I can't find a xF2 version of that plugin.

I hope you can help me out on some of these.

Jim

sbjsbj

Fan
I'm using Alert Improvements by Xon 1.5.5 and found the same author has created a version for xF2, Alert Improvements by Xon 2.4.7. I've been happy with the plugin, so I'm guessing I'll be happy with the version ported to xF2.
By now, Xon should have for all of his XF1 addons matching addons for XF2.
See:
https://atelieraphelion.com/threads/add-ons-converted-to-xenforo-2.320/

Custom Tabs 1.6.3 is what I use to be able to add menu tabs that lead to some of my WordPress pages or categories. I didn't see anything similar for xF2.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/h-tabbed-threads.6183/
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xfa-thread-tabs-xf2.6784/
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xfa-forum-list-tabs.6831/

Minimum Post Length Enforcer 1.0.4 is something I would have expected xF core would handle, but it didn't in 1.5. The only alternatives for 2.1.x is [XenConcept] Minimum post length 2.0.4 ($15.00) or [XenMax] - Minimum Message Length 2.0.0. My problem isn't with the occasional reply that is posted with a smiley, image or word with less than x-number of characters, but it is helpful to prevent new topics posted like that.
There is this one which is similar to those two:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-friction.6693/

And I am fairly sure that this addon's pro version did what you wanted to do
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-guard-basic.5814/
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/post-guard-pro-deleted.138005/

I really like Post Ratings 1.7.5 and I think most of my members do too. Is [TH] Reactions Plus 1.0.1 ($25) the best alternative for xF2?
You don't need a ratings addon right now. XF2.1 has it built-in. Nevertheless, ThemeHouse's and Xon's reactions addons will be more like an enhancement kind of thing from 2.1 upwards (for 2.0 there were no reactions/ratings, which is why these addons exist.

Register Email 3.8 is another plugin answer to something I would have thought xF core would handle - sending an email alert to me whenever a new member joins. I don't use email validation or hold new members in the moderation queue, but I do like to know when someone joins because they don't usually follow the instructions in their welcome PM to let me know if they are pro or consumer. Register email 2.8 is the same author's xF2 plugin.
That or this:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/new-registration-email.6307/

Remove Profile Posts 1.0.1 I don't like allowing posts to profiles because I keep search engines away from them and it would result in a lot of decent discussion NOT taking place on the forums where search engines do crawl. I haven't found an alternative.
You can completelly shut off profile posts by using the default permissions not to allow anyone to use it.

I like showing Similar Threads 5.3 at the bottom of forum pages and was happy to see the same author has Similar threads 5.3 for xF2. Any other options?
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xtr-more-thread-same-forum.7071/

There is also another one from XenMax but I would stay away from his addons. He probably won't come back to XF anymore after he burned multiple people. So no fixing of bugs or no new updates.

Unread Post Count 1.2.0 has been great and [AddonsLab] Unread Post Count 1.4.0 has taken over the xF2 version of the plugin. However, it requires [AddonsLab] Navigation Badge 1.0.0, which is another plugin and I would like to limit the number of plugins if I can. Any other alternative?
No, there isn't. And number of plugins doesn't matter. If they are coded well or are light (like in this case), it makes 0 difference to the server. Just some kilobytes more hosted on the server.

[bd] Widget Framework 2.6.3 is actually quite an important plugin for me. It allows me to have a sidebar on every forum page and I can have ads and other non-standard content modules. It doesn't look like the plugin author is developing anything like this for xF2. What should I do?
Because it is natively integrated since 2.0 in XF.

[WMTech] - Create New Thread Global 1.0.6 is another plugin that has been very helpful - I have to move far fewer topics to the correct forum since installing that. But I can't find a xF2 version of that plugin.
Also natively integrated.

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
Those aren't the same as I was referring to. I was talking about the navigation menu tabs (i.e. Home About Forums Articles etc.).
sbjsbj said:
Jim said:
Minimum Post Length Enforcer
And I am fairly sure that this addon's pro version did what you wanted to do
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-guard-basic.5814/
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/post-guard-pro-deleted.138005/
Post Guard basic is no longer maintained and Pro has been removed. I won't install any unmaintained addons.
sbjsbj said:
You don't need a ratings addon right now. XF2.1 has it built-in. Nevertheless, ThemeHouse's and Xon's reactions addons will be more like an enhancement kind of thing from 2.1 upwards (for 2.0 there were no reactions/ratings, which is why these addons exist.
But will upgrading to xF2 merge my member's current ratings. I think they kinda like those things.
sbjsbj said:
You can completelly shut off profile posts by using the default permissions not to allow anyone to use it.
Yes, but in xF1.5 there was still a tab that mentioned Profile Posts. I don't want that to show either in xF2.
sbjsbj said:
That's not the same. The plugin I currently use shows a list of threads at the bottom of the page that are similar to the thread you are reading.
sbjsbj said:
There is also another one from XenMax but I would stay away from his addons.]
Oh, thanks for that tidbit. That would mean a no on the Minimum Post Length Enforcer alternative too.
sbjsbj said:
Jim said:
[bd] Widget Framework
Because it is natively integrated since 2.0 in XF.
Really, every forum page? Used to be only on forum home.

And thanks very much for all the rest. I'll check into all of these.

sbjsbj

Fan
Those aren't the same as I was referring to. I was talking about the navigation menu tabs (i.e. Home About Forums Articles etc.).
You didn't say the navigation menu...

Navigation manager is built-in since 2.0.

Post Guard basic is no longer maintained and Pro has been removed. I won't install any unmaintained addons.

Well, I was just showing you your options. What you want to do or not is up to you. I already fed you with the answer.
And Yugensoft sadly announced that he is leaving XF. I thought probably before he goes you could contact him to get his paid addon which is removed now, IF you need that function so badly.

But will upgrading to xF2 merge my member's current ratings. I think they kinda like those things.
Then you need to buy one of those addon's to import your ratings from XF1, to re-import them to 2.1. I believe Xon's has an importer, not sure.

Yes, but in xF1.5 there was still a tab that mentioned Profile Posts. I don't want that to show either in xF2.
You didn't say that either. Look, I am already spoon-feeding you, a bit more neutral tone would be nice.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/profile-page.5616/
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/tidy-profile.7101/

Alternatively you can just use template modification to remove a part. And I am not sure if the profile posts tab show on the profile page if you disallow it in the permissions. Maybe you don't need an addon at all.

That's not the same. The plugin I currently use shows a list of threads at the bottom of the page that are similar to the thread you are reading
I just showed an alternative. Didn't say it is the same thing, but it is similar to the "similar threads" thingy.

Really, every forum page? Used to be only on forum home.
Yeah, only on forum home.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
As mentioned, there's a navigation tab manager in XF2 (since version 2.0.0).

If there are no permissions to view profile posts, no profile tab is shown.

That's not the same. The plugin I currently use shows a list of threads at the bottom of the page that are similar to the thread you are reading.
There appears to be one or two similar threads add-ons for XF2.

o_O What?

There's a fully featured widget framework in XF2 (since 2.0.0) which allows you to place widgets in many places throughout the software (not just forum home).

Chris D

XenForo Developer

sbjsbj

Fan
o_O What?

There's a fully featured widget framework in XF2 (since 2.0.0) which allows you to place widgets in many places throughout the software (not just forum home).
I wasn't talking about the widget framework, and I think neither was he.

I thought he was asking about the

plugin. And since XF 2.0 we can create threads from forum home main page. Or am I wrong?

Chris D

XenForo Developer
9E51FA03-F4FB-4D1A-8952-D66EC0BC9FCB.jpeg

Looks like he was asking about widgets, so I don’t know but fair enough.

sbjsbj

Fan
Chris D

If you look closely at this:

upload_2019-4-20_14-39-52.png

He had some difficulties quoting me. He has a quote in a quote, which I don't think his intention was.

Specially considering that the 2nd line "Oh, Thanks for that tidbit..." is disappearing because of the mis-quoting.

And then he says "really, every forum page". like I said something "that works on every page" and he is questioning it. My response to the Widget Framework shouldn't make someone reply like "really, every forum page?".

That question makes more sense to the last quote of mine, which doesn't exist here because of the difficulties I said above. My answer that "create thread globally" is natively integrated provoked an answer like "really, every forum page", and I think he is referring to this
upload_2019-4-20_14-45-51.png

Which is only available on forum main page. But I might be wrong, he can explain us what he meant.

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
You didn't say the navigation menu...

Navigation manager is built-in since 2.0.
I mentioned the menu and the fact that I wanted to be able to create "tabs" that link to non-forum pages. I even posted an example menu. Sorry I didn't use the word "navigation."

Well, I was just showing you your options. What you want to do or not is up to you. I already fed you with the answer.

You didn't say that either. Look, I am already spoon-feeding you, a bit more neutral tone would be nice.
You were brief, so I was following suit. I'm 69, so kinda set in my ways. It won't do you any good to tell me how to act. I thought I pressed the Like button and expressed my appreciation at the end of my last post. If that ain't good enough, you don't have to help me.

sbjsbj said:
o_O What?

I wasn't talking about the widget framework, and I think neither was he.
Yes, I was. I thought I made it clear, but maybe not for everyone.
sbjsbj said:
He had some difficulties quoting me. He has a quote in a quote, which I don't think his intention was.
Or you had some trouble understanding. Yes, I had quotes in quotes (several times, so it should have been apparent I meant to do it) because some of your answers were only links and I wanted to make it clear to anyone reading what it was in reference to. As I mentioned, I'm old. I was around when quotes in quotes were first done AND even before that when quoting was done with a bunch of >>>s. That was the olden days and sometimes I still do quotes in quotes when I think it will help. I'm not always right.

Chris said:
As mentioned, there's a navigation tab manager in XF2 (since version 2.0.0).

If there are no permissions to view profile posts, no profile tab is shown.

There appears to be one or two similar threads add-ons for XF2.
Thanks Chris.

FWIW, you might just benefit from doing a test upgrade and seeing what you still do or don't need or at least launch a demo to familiarise yourself with the updated software.
https://xenforo.com/demo/

Additionally, this is mostly everything that was new in XF 2.0:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-new-in-xenforo-2-0.133426/

And XF 2.1:
https://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/?prefix_id=46
That's a great idea. I'll check that out soon.

Thanks to both of you for the useful information.

Alpha1

Administrator

sanction9

Adherent

Unless you already use Enhanced Search and ElasticSearch and can therefore try Xon's addon, I'm pretty sure Andy's addon is the only option.

The More Thread Same Forum addon that was mentioned is not at all the same. The options for that are:
morethreadsameforum.png

Last edited: