Upgrading TAZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Oh well .....

I find the layout of XF threads hard work, the separation of posts is hard to see and I just cannot get on with the elements being all over the place, the post date/time not being at the top where I expect it, users names being under the avatar, etc.

The current post separation here is really good, I suppose I could hope you have replicated it.

(I seriously hope you are not just using the default XF style).

Good luck with your migration, but not a change I particularly look forward to.

jadmperry

Fan
Let's not forget the NBA Championship Finals start on the 5th! (Fortunately, game one does not start until 9pm EST, so the TAZ interruption/downtime should be over by then an I can see the wonderful change well before).

GO SPURS GO!!!!

Kyrie

Habitué
Let's not forget the NBA Championship Finals start on the 5th! (Fortunately, game one does not start until 9pm EST, so the TAZ interruption/downtime should be over by then an I can see the wonderful change well before).

GO SPURS GO!!!!

I wish I liked football, I never even know who's scoring touchgoals. Who's going up to bat first?

jadmperry

Fan
I wish I liked football, I never even know who's scoring touchgoals. Who's going up to bat first?

Football is great, too. I am a Patriots fan.

But, as to the basketball finals, this is a hint as to who is "up to bat first":

a4.bp.blogspot.com__trDaEbo5H_A_UbEki38ARCI_AAAAAAAA0cs_M4efBOJ8IuQ_s1600_San_Antonio_Spurs.jpg

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
You would be surprised how popular footy has become stateside. The Southwestern and Southern (big surprise there) states have massive funding for public school footy and inter-collegiate (Universities playing against others in their conference and outside their conference; conferences are regional groups often consisting of 12-14 universities.).

You'll often see MLS and foreign team scouts at any game hosted by a federation here. I've spotted scouts from ManU here before in California.

There needs to be something more interesting than egg ball and basketball. Obviously being a Californian, I really don't care for ice hockey and baseball much. Nearly cracked my right wrist over this year's FA cup after banging it throughout the games.

Last edited:

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
Real football (soccer) never will catch on in the U.S more than American football. It is because they can't cram 1-2 hours of commercials into a 1 hour game, like they do with American football.:p:daroldi:

Scott

Last edited:

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Converted over. Quite possibly one of the reasons I disliked this series of vBulletin. You had to import custom smileys one by one. Upload, then register each one through the ACP. vB 5 still has the ancient admin panel now with gradients for a slick mid-2000s look. :rolleyes:

Andrew B.

Fan
Best wishes for your conversion to XF. Now that they have quoting working, it should be a usable board. One request, though. If you can make XF have distinct post separators, that would be very helpful.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
The post separator thing is an issue in many modern pieces of software where consecutive content entries are displayed.

The reason for this, of course, is that everyone's trying to look like Facebook.

Even in vB5, the issue exists. If you look at sites I have customised, such as www.hdherd.com, I have added very distinct post separators because exactly the same issue was raised by loads of users.

jadmperry

Fan
Neither do a lot of people, but it seems that, in the admin niche at least, it's going to be "Like XenForo or do without" since everyone's jumped on the bandwagon.

Or, instead of "jumping on the bandwagon" people have decided that XF works better for them than other options available.

I don't understand why this keeps coming up ("jumping on the bandwagon"). All I can gather is that this is the best criticism that people who don't like XF can come up with in the face of others choosing XF.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
Or, instead of "jumping on the bandwagon" people have decided that XF works better for them than other options available.

I don't understand why this keeps coming up ("jumping on the bandwagon"). All I can gather is that this is the best criticism that people who don't like XF can come up with in the face of others choosing XF.

XenForo is not the only option, much as some like to pretend otherwise.

Not everyone gets on with it, as has now been pointed out by quite a few people. For me personally, the endless sliding, swooshing popups, along with the hugely indistinct post and sig dividers, genuinely give me a headache and I can't use such sites for very long.

Many of the custom styles (like the one currently used on AdminExtra) are just busy and cluttered and add to the "headache" issues. (Though the immediately preceding AdminExtra style was very good, I have no idea why it was ditched but I guess it doesn't matter now).

We'll have to see what transpires. I almost wish I had a XF demo up so I could all that headache-inducing teenage nonsense out of it.

NickCF

I come from a land Down Under...
The post separator thing is an issue in many modern pieces of software where consecutive content entries are displayed.

The reason for this, of course, is that everyone's trying to look like Facebook.

Even in vB5, the issue exists. If you look at sites I have customised, such as www.hdherd.com, I have added very distinct post separators because exactly the same issue was raised by loads of users.

I agree about the post separation, but it only requires a template edit. Rather simple fix.

I assume TAZ will use a custom theme.

Looking forward to this!

Status
Not open for further replies.