Upgrading TAZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
In a real sense, it is old school for TAZ to move to XenForo, since it continues the lineage of vB3 much more than any other forum software, IMO.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
I haven't read all of the post and apologize for not doing so. But I'd fancy TAZ taking on IPB as a supplemental contrast to AEX.

Scott

haqzore

Devotee
Just to add my 2 cents.

I'd prefer IPB.

XF is just to... Easy. To repetitive. To safe. It will make coming to TAZ "feel" the same as the plethora of other admin sites. XF is awesome software, but so is IPB.

Either way you go, I think it's foolish to not wait & see what IPB 4 gives us.

Sherrie

Fan
It would be interesting to see this being upgraded to IPB4 simply because I am looking to change software in the near future so it will give me a chance to see if I like it :)

DirtRider

bah humbug
I never knew about Admin Extras until this thread so I have registered there as well. I am finding even though it is much slower than this forum I am spending more time over that side because of the functionality that it offerers over this side. I just love what Xenforo does for a forum overall :banana:

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
I never knew about Admin Extras until this thread so I have registered there as well. I am finding even though it is much slower than this forum I am spending more time over that side because of the functionality that it offerers over this side. I just love what Xenforo does for a forum overall :banana:

Slower as in less posting? For a minute I thought you meant the new server was lagging. :p

Yeah, AdEx isn't as busy as TAZ but if we had 2 or 3 more active posters over there I think we'd hit our tipping point.... :)

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Or better way of putting it is TAZ is already a big name and AdEx just got the Howard touch ;)

DirtRider

bah humbug
lol Sorry yes slower as in postings. I am now finding both site to be nice and fast unlike this one was a few weeks back. So your server upgraded did wonders from my side. :banana:

NickCF

I come from a land Down Under...
I love XF, but TAZ should try and be different...IPB, IMO.

radu81

Fan
Why not switch to a free script to show people that forum software is not so important? Hahahaaa :)

Trying not to seem biased as well. But when I came to the end of my rope with vB4 and was looking down the barrel of vB4 ending life I started looking for solutions for my web site and forum. Now I know there is lot of talk about XF and followers. Problem is that XF is very new and refreshing but still lacking in a lot of ways. Most Admin's are capable of making up with custom coding and plugins. After being down that road I wanted to find some that suited my members as well as my staff and myself. After spending months reading about vB, XF and IPB and asking other forum to seek peek at there site. I finally made the change this winter (December) from vB 4.2.0 to IPB 3.4.6. What I found is a very rich software that meets todays standard for the user and also very rich software for the staff as well.

Sandman all I can say is look into the features and look at the software itself not just the end user but as the staff too. Because both staff and members have to the same software and seeing if it will meet their needs. If you looking at a software and it requires a plugin ask yourself is the plugin 3rd party? Is this 3rd Party author going to keep it up to date? Kind of like looking back at vBSEO plugin very popular but now falling to the way side.

As for skin and themes heck any forum software can be customized enough to lose its stockish appearance.

DirtRider

bah humbug
Plugin and 3rd party participation has always been an issue no matter what software you end up using. Finding a forum software that does not require them is hard as we all want our forums to be tweaked that bit different. The thing is to try and find that developer that you can form a long term relationship with and stick with them as far as possible.

HallofFamer

Habitué
I think the thread title needs to be changed. According to what the discussion has gone so far, it should be more appropriate to call it 'Converting TAZ forum' rather than 'Upgrading TAZ forum'. The term 'convert' means to migrate from one forum software to another, while 'upgrade' means to upgrade the current software to latest version. Apparently there is absolutely no need to 'upgrade' TAZ from a superior VB3 to inferior VB4 or VB5, unless the admins are out of mind. But to convert TAZ into IPB, Xenforo or Burningboard, its an interesting topic worth debating.

Status
Not open for further replies.