Upgrading TAZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Endless sites all rushing to XenForo is getting boring.
Considering Howard is talking about maybe "XenForo 2.0" then I wouldn't exactly call it it rushing seeing how we're only on 1.3 beta. ;)

Currently you have AdminExtra and AdminTalk running XenForo, both with almost the same modifications, and with much the same people posting on both.
But with totally different feel to them. Personally I don't like AdminTalk since to me it comes off as a totally negative place.

Daniweb used to be a very successful forum.
They used to use VB, then they wanted to be different and innovative, came up with a new format. Not XF and not IPB.
They are straggling now.
Wow, I haven't been over there for a while and just took a look! :eek: Is that based on an existing platform or is bespoke?

GTB

Tazmanian
Think Daniweb started struggling a few years back. Remember reading a post from the owner of that site talking about it, but all they appeared bothered about when reading it was the drop in revenue being earned. Didn't come across to me as being a forum you'd want to join reading it at the time. All money, money being lost, all the owner really seemed bothered about.

doubt

Tazmanian
Wow, I haven't been over there for a while and just took a look! :eek: Is that based on an existing platform or is bespoke?
Bespoke.
Navigating is relatively easy but when you want to make a post...you have to be experienced with it.

Nogitsune

Unleash The Beast....
Considering Howard is talking about maybe "XenForo 2.0" then I wouldn't exactly call it it rushing seeing how we're only on 1.3 beta. ;)

But with totally different feel to them. Personally I don't like AdminTalk since to me it comes off as a totally negative place.

I am curious as to why you find Admin Talk a negative place?

In all honesty from my experience on admin extra and admin talk, it's about the same experience(Like Mark said they both use Xenforo and nearly the same modifications) and i enjoy both well enough. So i am curious as to why you see it as negative?

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
I am curious as to why you find Admin Talk a negative place?

In all honesty from my experience on admin extra and admin talk, it's about the same experience(Like Mark said they both use Xenforo and nearly the same modifications) and i enjoy both well enough. So i am curious as to why you see it as negative?
You mean besides the open bashing of people, the obvious 'troll' account that are banned elsewhere but are welcome there, and the constant topics over & over again that only serve to denigrate others?

PacMan

Tazmanian
TAZ is on VB and its very unique. Dont see why TAZ on XF could be unique too.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
What are you talking about? This version of Vbulletin(v3.8) is by far the best of VB ever produced, any attempt to 'upgrade' is in fact a downgrade. Moving to IPB or Xenforo may be feasible options, but it will not be easy.

I agree - but for clarification - TAZ is still on vB 3.7.x ;)

TAZ is on VB and its very unique. Dont see why TAZ on XF could be unique too.

I agree with this as well. If http://adminextra.com is any indication - I think TAZ will fair fabulously well on XF.

J.

Last edited:

HTML

Big Board Coder
Invision Power is the most modern in my opinion. With a little customization, it can make a site very unique.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
@ Howard, would be nice to have a poll on this thread on which script people prefer.

Greg

TAZ Rookie
I don't think that it will particularly matter which platform is chosen so long as it's executed correctly. In my mind, the most important piece of the puzzle will be to maintain the TAZ feel. Compare us to AdX; they're much more bright and have features like the gazillion different types of reactions to each post.

That's just not TAZ. Things here are more minimal and clinical, and I think it's important to keep that look. We're not a modern site, and we never have been. No one should ever mistake us for some kind of approximation of a social network. This is an old school bulletin board.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
I don't think that it will particularly matter which platform is chosen so long as it's executed correctly. In my mind, the most important piece of the puzzle will be to maintain the TAZ feel. Compare us to AdX; they're much more bright and have features like the gazillion different types of reactions to each post.

That's just not TAZ. Things here are more minimal and clinical, and I think it's important to keep that look. We're not a modern site, and we never have been. No one should ever mistake us for some kind of approximation of a social network. This is an old school bulletin board.
This is a very good point...none of the "latest versions" of any of the major paid forum scripts can easily avoid looking a bit like a social network without a fair amount of hacking around. Don't even get me started on that.

I daresay Invision 4 will be even worse in this regard.

So TAZ will have quite a challenge keeping all the teenage Facebook-type stuff buried.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict

I don't disagree with you... but you know there's gonna be a "Like" button, right? :D

Mark.B

Tazmanian
I don't disagree with you... but you know there's gonna be a "Like" button, right? :D
Don't mind "Likes" but my views on that huge array of different buttons in that XF add on are well known. They turn a clean, well designed, simple feature into a....mess.

But! I was roundly in a minority of ONE whenever I raised it on AdminExtra so I'm resigned to the majority view.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
Don't mind "Likes" but my views on that huge array of different buttons in that XF add on are well known. They turn a clean, well designed, simple feature into a....mess.

But! I was roundly in a minority of ONE whenever I raised it on AdminExtra so I'm resigned to the majority view.

What the hell are you waffling on about?

He's talking about the Post Rating add-on we use on Admin Extra.

Greg

TAZ Rookie

I think a "Like" button can work, but try picturing people giving out little hearts and beer mugs and rainbows in a 'civil debate' between Mark and Brent. I think that would be just a little incongruous.

GTB

Tazmanian
Mark can't post on 3rd party admin forums anymore last I check his signature. Oh wait....

Nogitsune

Unleash The Beast....
(LOL i see that pettiness is still going on :p)

Maybe because I am younger than most of the TAZ usual staff at 18 years old but the whole "Old School" bulletin board thing is a bit outdated thinking to me. There's nothing wrong with evolving.

I remember when i first joined TAZ back in 2012 when i was 16, i didn't stay on this site initially because i felt the site was a bit "uptight" and not as many younger people and it felt dated.

2 years later, it still feels dated but my earlier opinions have changed and it is now my preferred admin site(along side admin extra and occasionally AT).

I do hope that they do at least consider IPS4 only because I'd hate to see TAZ become yet another ME TOO site because they went xenforo(and there will then be little differentiation between adex and taz)

Status
Not open for further replies.