Upgrading TAZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubt

Tazmanian
So what? If you actually read my post, you'll notice I made suggestions that did not involve vBulletin.

Not everyone thinks XF is the answer to everything.
I have, Mark.

Endless sites all rushing to XenForo is getting boring.

A resources mod. A showcase mod. A "new posts in navbar" mod. All very nice in themselves but if every forum in the niche ends up all doing exactly the same thing, it's all a bit tedious. At least a decade ago, when everyone was rushing to vB3, people were mostly doing different things with it, not all copying each other.

Better to do something a bit different and do Invision, possibly when their much-vaunted version 4 comes out. Or be really daring and do Burning Board 4 :)

Anything but yet another XenForo clone site....

Anything else but XF is your suggestion.

DirtRider

bah humbug
Funny I don't ever see any forum as being the same old because they running the same software as all the rest. As has been said the comunity is what really makes a forum but providind a great forum software enhances this.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
Anything else but XF is your suggestion.
Only because in this case the entire niche will end up having virtually identical sites and I don't believe that's a good thing.

It's perfectly possible to do different stuff with XF, take a look at Bamastangguy's portfolio as one example.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
Funny I don't ever see any forum as being the same old because they running the same software as all the rest. As has been said the comunity is what really makes a forum but providind a great forum software enhances this.
It depends what 's done.

Currently you have AdminExtra and AdminTalk running XenForo, both with almost the same modifications, and with much the same people posting on both.

That in itself is ok because AdminExtra follows its own path content-wise, but if TAZ ends up with the same software, same mods, same posters and in the same niche, I think we will end up with a rather dull niche and it then becomes ripe for someone new to storm in and do something different and innovative.

XenForo is NOT the only solution, just as vBulletin was NOT the only solution at its peak.

Personally, I'd love to see TAZ do Burning Board. It may well not be practical to migrate to Burning Board though, but it'd be different, bold, and even daring to do it.

doubt

Tazmanian
Only because in this case the entire niche will end up having virtually identical sites and I don't believe that's a good thing.
The important is what the site owners believe.
Should they be all on VB5 than it would be forgivable?

Personally, I'd love to see TAZ do Burning Board. It may well not be practical to migrate to Burning Board though, but it'd be different, bold, and even daring to do it.
There is an easy solution.
Buy the Burning Board software and start your own admin forum.
We all would benefit from it.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
The important is what the site owners believe.
Should they be all on VB5 than it would be forgivable?
No. Same issue.

There is an easy solution.
Buy the Burning Board software and start your own admin forum.
We all would benefit from it.
What a strange remark. I'm merely making suggestions and voicing my own thoughts on the matter. The site owner is free to completely disregard it, they should make whatever choices they consider best for the site.

doubt

Tazmanian
What a strange remark. I'm merely making suggestions and voicing my own thoughts on the matter.
"strange" is a much better word than "rubbish". You are improving...
The site owner is free to completely disregard it, they should make whatever choices they consider best for the site.
He certainly will.
He has experience with XF now, waiting for IPB4, why should he jump into unknown waters called Burning Board?
As I said in my above reply that hot-cold water is waiting for you.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
He has experience with XF now, waiting for IPB4, why should he jump into unknown waters called Burning Board?
As I said in my above reply that hot-cold water is waiting for you.
To be different, and innovative.

Like I said, it was just a thought, nothing more. This is a thread about upgrading TAZ, I'm giving some thoughts, like other people are, nobody is suggesting the site owner MUST take any of these on board.

If it were my site, I'd welcome all this input, even if I ultimately decide to ignore all of it.

doubt

Tazmanian
Daniweb used to be a very successful forum.
They used to use VB, then they wanted to be different and innovative, came up with a new format. Not XF and not IPB.
They are straggling now.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
Daniweb used to be a very successful forum.
They used to use VB, then they wanted to be different and innovative, came up with a new format. Not XF and not IPB.
They are straggling now.
Then they came up with the wrong "new format".

Anyway Burning Board's hardly obscure and its new version has received much positive feedback. Not like they'd be jumping into the unknown.

Again, it was just an idle thought. It's no big deal. TAZ has many options open to them.

The Sandman

Administrator
No firm decisions have been made, and all members are encouraged to make suggestions and discuss this issue freely.

The Sandman

Administrator
I don't see Admin Extra doing that well using it, not even after having a redirect leading to their from here and trying to promote people going posting their from here with your Prem Usergroup thread.
I'm glad you told me - here I was thinking that Admin Extra was doing pretty well since I resurrected it from the dead. :foilhat:

TBH, I like the way things are going on AdEx and I don't mind the gradual increase in traffic and participation - sudden bursts of activity are nice and all, but I'll take slow but steady growth thank you very much. It takes time and patience to grow a community - not a particular forum software, or reliance on any particular "hot topics", or a set amount of posts or merging of forums. Its all about the members of the community and providing a proper venue for them.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
I'm glad you told me - here I was thinking that Admin Extra was doing pretty well since I resurrected it from the dead. :foilhat:

TBH, I like the way things are going on AdEx and I don't mind the gradual increase in traffic and participation - sudden bursts of activity are nice and all, but I'll take slow but steady growth thank you very much. It takes time and patience to grow a community - not a particular forum software, or reliance on any particular "hot topics", or a set amount of posts or merging of forums. Its all about the members of the community and providing a proper venue for them.
This is so true.
In particular, merging forums together once purchased. I really don't think some site owners fully comprehend how much this practice annoys people.

People choose to join in and participate in community "A"...often in preference to community "B". To suddenly log in one day and find that they are now actually members of community "B", and all their posts have been placed on there as well, is extremely off putting.

Brandon did this a lot, and by and large a lot of the "merged" members, who were not already on both sites, cleared off. So keeping Admin Extra separate is a refreshing change and I'm glad it's beginning to work out.

DirtRider

bah humbug
Then they came up with the wrong "new format".

Anyway Burning Board's hardly obscure and its new version has received much positive feedback. Not like they'd be jumping into the unknown.

Again, it was just an idle thought. It's no big deal. TAZ has many options open to them.
I had never heard of burning boards until a while back and had a look at it, not a bad look to it. I was also looking at this comparison

Compare IP.Board vs vBulletin 3.8 vs Woltlab Burning Board

GTB

Tazmanian

OK, to clear things up better from my own point of view. I'm not bothered if TAZ stays on vB3, or upgrades to XF or BB4. All 3 choices are fine for using. Can't comment on IPB4 because it's not been released yet.

GTB

Tazmanian
I had never heard of burning boards until a while back and had a look at it, not a bad look to it. I was also looking at this comparison

Compare IP.Board vs vBulletin 3.8 vs Woltlab Burning Board
That comparison link is showing BB 3.1.7 version, not the newer 4.

However, I'm not keen on the URL stucture they use for certain parts, noticed that when I ran it and moving to blog.

URL structure:
Code:
https://www.woltlab.com/blog/index.php/Blog/
Why blog listed two times and "index.php/Blog" with a capital letter used for Blog.

Last edited:

DirtRider

bah humbug
That comparison link is showing BB 3.1.7 version, not the newer 4.

However, I'm not keen on the URL stucture they use for certain parts, noticed that when I ran it and moving to blog.

URL structure:
Code:
https://www.woltlab.com/blog/index.php/Blog/
Why blog listed two times and "index.php/Blog" with a capital letter used for Blog.
Yes I did notice some of the forum software was outdated that they listed

Wonko

Adherent
I think most of you are missing the point, I come here for information news & tips on the admin world, and for exactly the same reason when I visit AdminExtra, but AE is easier to use & quicker to get to the features you want surely that's the important bit not what flavor the software.
The question is how easy is it to use? so in that respect xf is preferred over vb 3, but if Howard decided another flavor of forum software will do the job better than xf I don't really care as long as I can get to what I want and post quickly and easy.

Andy98

Game Developer
Theres a difference between being "different and innovative" and rushing into a software which he may not have much experience in, thus possibly greatly hurting his forum.

HallofFamer

Habitué
What are you talking about? This version of Vbulletin(v3.8) is by far the best of VB ever produced, any attempt to 'upgrade' is in fact a downgrade. Moving to IPB or Xenforo may be feasible options, but it will not be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.