Upgrading from beta to RC1 problem

bogie

Participant
The beta site is being taken down on the 15th, the RC1 version is available for download on the main site.

i would ask on the main site, however i can only ask in pre sales as i am not yet a paying customer, so i thought i would ask here.

I have a Beta site, we have spent alot of time on it, we intend to buy the full version once it is considered stable. In our beta site we are informed, on the package manager that an upgrade is available.

However when we press the submit button we get a page of errors. so i went onto the main woltlab site and downloaded the RC version and installed the main package, however when we try and use the auto install for the filebase (or any other module) upload, we are getting the same error.

Why are the RC files released and downloadable and yet you cant install or upgrade from them?

Are we now expected to buy the RC version? seem strange when it is free to download. hopefully it is a system glitch there end. has anyone else had problems upgrading the Beta version to RC1?

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Frequently upgrades from a BETA are not supported. Sometimes even upgrades to the RC candidate are not supported. I haven't checked over on the WBB site to see if they planned on upgrades from it.

On the WBB site, they state (for the BETA)
This evaluation version is not suitable for use in production environments, doing so is entirely at your own risk. Updating from WoltLab Suite 3.0 Beta 5 to future versions is not guaranteed. You may use this version until January 31st, 2017, if you wish to continue past this date, a valid license is required.

bogie

Participant
Thanks

It was worded upgrade available. Then a huge error list of stuff that means nothing to me, but i did see some 503 errors in there.....so i feel happier lol

bogie

Participant
Its fixed! Sorry it just totally confused me, i will be buying it as soon as its out of RC and suitable for production. The sites i want it for wont spend money on non fully released software!

Then its off to buy a skin for the forums and i am done!!

bogie

Participant
I won't be upgrading until my skinner gets the new version out. :)
I shot myself in the foot!! I was deleting a different software and the backups, the software we were trying has been eliminated from the trial.

BUT being overtired and in a rush i deleted the woltlab test and database! AND the bloody back ups, by mistake............

So back to square one for me, the files i had sorted and arrange in filebase i still have, but they are now unsorted again!! So 2000 pdfs to open and sort and reload lol.

Lesson for today.......Dont work on things you know little about when exhausted! Dont be tight fisted, pay for someone who knows what they are doing instead of trying to say £20 lol.

bogie

Participant
And also store your backups in 2 different locations! ;)
no need to rub it in lol. Actually i need to ask a question at some point, try and find out what software people recommend to back up mysql databases etc. my host is moaning at the auto backup taking too many inodes.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Shared hosting? Not a lot of choices. VPS you can do a mysqldump and then rsync it in to your local computer.