Upgrade Time....but to where?

MileO

Neophyte
Since 2004 I've had a small forum that has run successfully on vBulletin 4 and, for the last few years I've been a bit of an absentee landlord. The forum has been stalled on vBulletin 4.2.2 for a number of years and, following some emails about recent issues from my users, it seems that the forum software is no longer fit for purpose due to my host upgrading PHP beyond vBulletin 4's scope.

My initial instinct was just to upgrade to vBulletin 5, for quickness and general familiarity, however, the more I've googled the more negativity (albeit mostly circa 2014) I've encountered as regards its decline as a forum leader.

So, I suppose the time is now to think about changing my software, preferably by the easiest method possible I've not kept up with technology changes and security practices over time.

So, ultimately trying to determine the best forum software these days - as there seems to be quite a few - that delivers robust forum usage, preferably doesn't require constant patching, and can handle my now host software of:

PHP Version 7.3.9
MySQL Version 5.7.23-23

Also, if migrating to a new software, I'd hope for as stress free a migration as possible, so that should be a consideration.

haqzore

Devotee
For, as you put it, the easiest, most stress-free path > XenForo

If you're interest in a complete suite with future capability (including an upcoming app), but more legwork for those things > Invision Community.

TheChiro

Devotee
I'm a big fan of Xenforo. And if you need custom development, seems the devs are quicker and less expensive with xf compared to IPS (unless things have changed since I moved - something as simple as a single line edit for ads cost $10...durp). The custom thread fields is something really cool...we will be utilizing it as a way to "tag" threads and utilize a custom advanced filter system so you can field based on the CTFs. This is going to reduce the number for nodes we have from a couple hundred down to about 1/20th of what it currently is, all while allowing users to favorite their CTFs to jump right to the section + filter, essentially making it like having all these extra forums.

And for easy homepage, Bob has the AMS addon that works great and you can do just about anything with it!

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
You might find Woltlab ideal, if you're averse to complications.

- cheaper to own over your forum's lifetime, even if you're addicted to buying apps and addons. Important factor for small forums with little funding.
- features a long support cycle for your installed branch (at least 2 years, closer to 4), and conservative patching for fixes and security so your absence should unlikely result in your admins breaking and keeping broken the site.
- ticket support available at no extra charge for customers, no annual renewal fee.
- wordpress-style oneclick install and update procedure for the official apps, addons and themes. It's easier to manage overall.

Last edited:

MileO

Neophyte
Thanks all. I went with XenForo in the end. Migration went smoothly enough. Now just trying to tidy it all up and get used to the new interface and functions.