Unsupported addons still being charged?

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
You know what your getting when you buy because the developer told you. I would have issue if he sold and then didn't support with no warning. This is your informed choice. The key word being "informed".
^ THIS

There is at least one person I know on XF who has marked their addons as unsupported but is still selling them with a big caveat that they are filtering who they are selling to and that buyers shouldn't expect support except for any clear bugs/issues. By contrast I can think of at least two people who are collecting money for addons that are "supported" but good luck to you if you try to get any kind of support response from them. In my case I've bought a few of the 'unsupported' addons while I'm staying clear from the 'supported' ones from certain individuals.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
There is at least one person I know on XF who has marked their addons as unsupported but is still selling them with a big caveat that they are filtering who they are selling to and that buyers shouldn't expect support except for any clear bugs/issues. By contrast I can think of at least two people who are collecting money for addons that are "supported" but good luck to you if you try to get any kind of support response from them. In my case I've bought a few of the 'unsupported' addons while I'm staying clear from the 'supported' ones from certain individuals.

Have you guys reported those add on authors who do not support their work to xf staff btw?

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Have you guys reported those add on authors who do not support their work to xf staff btw?
It's not exactly a secret. As long as the publishers show up every so often to post an update or respond to at least something in the forums then the prefix remains the same.

Paul M

Super Moderator
My frustration comes from the fact that I have seen many authors who continue to sit back and let people buy their addons, and then will say no support it's your fault.
Well its your fault you bought it.
No one forces you to buy any addons, you must choose to do so.
Developers can charge what they want, and support what they want.

That still doesn't change the poor reflection on those addon authors.
What poor reflection is that exactly ?
It could equally be said its a poor reflection on you that you seem to want peoples hard work on the cheap.

I see this all too often, where an addon author discontinues support or any updates for an addon, and still continues to charge for it, even some still at the original price when support was being offered. I find it a bit aggravating that you'll have addon authors who still work to collect payment for something that they will not provide any support on.
It's all fine and dandy to post this complaint but you should qualify your complaint with "WHO THE AUTHOR IS" and "WHAT SPECIFIC ADD ON" you are complaining about. How are we to know that you are not just generally creating controversy for nothing?
BBW and as you appear to have been aware, you have nobody but yourself to complain about.

MR_XX

Aspirant
It is best to stay away from programs that rely heavily on a third party and to go to programs that can be run without the need for a third party
This point is only available in almost one program
He is a monster vBulletin

Gordon_Ramsay

Enthusiast
It's all fine and dandy to post this complaint but you should qualify your complaint with "WHO THE AUTHOR IS" and "WHAT SPECIFIC ADD ON" you are complaining about. How are we to know that you are not just generally creating controversy for nothing?
BBW and as you appear to have been aware, you have nobody but yourself to complain about.
So then are we allowed to start calling out members?

Gordon_Ramsay

Enthusiast
Well its your fault you bought it.
No one forces you to buy any addons, you must choose to do so.

What poor reflection is that exactly ?
It could equally be said its a poor reflection on you that you seem to want peoples hard work on the cheap.
Not in the slightest. I have supported many XF authors and have no issue paying for content that is supported. If you are maintaining your addon and provide support, I'm happy to pay the price. But if you have an addon that you have not updated in years or you will go into the topic and say I am not providing support, you are on your own, then why on Earth are you still charging $30-50 for something that may not work and you refuse to support it. The last thing on my mind is to expect hard work to be done for cheap, I appreciate what people do. And to add further, the dedication that addon authors on vBulletin.org put forward, releasing addons that should have been paid for due to their outstanding quality, isn't found really on XenForo, and I could arguably say the same on Invision Power Board.

I guess so. You have been called out numerous times in this thread. It would be helpful for others if you backed up your opinion with facts. Otherwise it just reads like a pointless complaint.

sanction9

Adherent
It's rarely that an addon author charge once for her/his work. What they charge is their original work and the SUPPORT work and updates when bugs are raised and/or a new XF version comes to the place. So they charge a 3month/6month/annual fee for it. Nothing wrong with that. It's the obvious way to do.

But why should I pay the same price if they unilaterally (as per license agreements, they can) stop provide SUPPORT work? The right thing to do, is not to renew the period as they will not support any updates or bug fixing. Or _AT LEAST_ put a considerable decrease of the price, not a 5% discount.

I don't know. Will you really pay the $55 annually renewal if the XF guys announce they will stop to provide support for their work, whatever reason is?

For new customers _AT LEAST_ they should not be charging $160.00 if they won't support their work.

I'll just point out that "unsupported" does not necessarily mean that an addon is actually completely unsupported. Their authors/owners still often take suggestions and fix bugs. Sometimes the addons were developed by the owner (person selling it), and sometimes were developed for them by a third-party, primarily for use on their own sites, and they're selling it to recoup some of the money and pay for continuing development, and in those cases you can be reasonably sure that the addon will continue to get necessary updates because the person selling it is using in on their own sites. What "unsupported" basically means in those cases is that they're under no obligation to modify/fix the addon for your particular circumstances - although, again, they might, especially if it's something easy to do.

As for those who do offer support with purchase and then stop supporting it (at least officially) while still selling it, well, that's a chance we always take with addon's. I mean, the dev/owner could simply choose to delete the addon and not make it available at all, and you'd still be left without the support period you had paid for - and without any hope of future updates. Happens all the time.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
It is best to stay away from programs that rely heavily on a third party and to go to programs that can be run without the need for a third party
This point is only available in almost one program
He is a monster vBulletin

No matter what forum you use, you will have to rely on third party mods and themes. That is if you do want to use a new look for your forum and add some new options that are not present in the forum software.

If you have a specific add on author in mind then it would be best to mention him or her. Like that other users will be warned as well from buying unsupported stuff, if what you are claiming is true. It will also give a chance to said author to say his or her side of the story.

Gordon_Ramsay

Enthusiast
I guess so. You have been called out numerous times in this thread. It would be helpful for others if you backed up your opinion with facts. Otherwise it just reads like a pointless complaint.
There's a difference, I'm involved in this thread. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware we aren't allowed to post our thoughts on a discussion board,

MR_XX

Aspirant
Not in the slightest. I have supported many XF authors and have no issue paying for content that is supported. If you are maintaining your addon and provide support, I'm happy to pay the price. But if you have an addon that you have not updated in years or you will go into the topic and say I am not providing support, you are on your own, then why on Earth are you still charging $30-50 for something that may not work and you refuse to support it. The last thing on my mind is to expect hard work to be done for cheap, I appreciate what people do. And to add further, the dedication that addon authors on vBulletin.org put forward, releasing addons that should have been paid for due to their outstanding quality, isn't found really on XenForo, and I could arguably say the same on Invision Power Board.
No matter what forum you use, you will have to rely on third party mods and themes. That is if you do want to use a new look for your forum and add some new options that are not present in the forum software.

If you have a specific add on author in mind then it would be best to mention him or her. Like that other users will be warned as well from buying unsupported stuff, if what you are claiming is true. It will also give a chance to said author to say his or her side of the story.

You should differentiate between the main features and the side features.
For example some programs such as:
xf,mybb,phpbb
You need a lot of additions in order to do some key features to be able to use the software correctly. How much a third party will you lose a lot of money and you're going to have problems upgrading.
You will chase the developers and maybe some of them leave support for its additions and you have already paid him money in order to buy the addition in the end you lose support!

That's why I don't like the show.
Because it is simply because your site is stable because it is a program that is totally dependent on third parties and external additions in order to run the basic program.
The additions are supposed to be the role of adding side features to the program.
This software management is supposed to monitor the add-on slotper any developer who does not update his addition is deleted from the add-ons repository so I can't find losing money. Because that's a fraud.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
$55 wouldn't pay someone's internet bill, mortgage, food, power, water or insurance.

They should make sure everyone understands exactly what it is they're providing and where it stops though.

sanction9

Adherent
^ THIS

Pretty sure I know who you're talking about when it comes to the unsupported ones. This is both because he doesn't want to have to be bothered with offering official support, and because he doesn't want to sell the addons to sites competing with his own, which I understand. But yeah, because I find the features very helpful, and because I know the seller will continue to have the addon updated for his own site, I'm still happy to fork over the dough.

Paul M

Super Moderator
But if you have an addon that you have not updated in years or you will go into the topic and say I am not providing support, you are on your own, then why on Earth are you still charging $30-50 for something that may not work and you refuse to support it.
Because there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so.
You have the absolute choice to decide if you want to buy it, or not - again, no one forces you.