Unsupported addons still being charged?

Gordon_Ramsay

Enthusiast
I see this all too often, where an addon author discontinues support or any updates for an addon, and still continues to charge for it, even some still at the original price when support was being offered. I find it a bit aggravating that you'll have addon authors who still work to collect payment for something that they will not provide any support on.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
Its ultimately up the the person who gets it. If you don't want to pay for it, just don't get it bjt they DID still put work into it.

Gordon_Ramsay

Enthusiast
Its ultimately up the the person who gets it. If you don't want to pay for it, just don't get it bjt they DID still put work into it.
And I get that, but to me some of these XenForo addon authors are money hungry when they're charging these astronomical prices for something that is small. And again, if I'm paying like $50.00 which is the same price that I would have paid when you offered support, then what's the difference other than you neglecting to help me and just collecting money on an addon that might be broken cause the author didn't want to bother with it anymore? If you don't even lower the price cause it's not supported, then you're just looking to take money for less quality.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
Just think of the retired tag as a warning. There are still people who are willing to buy then anyway, after all.

Replicant

Neophyte
Just think of the retired tag as a warning. There are still people who are willing to buy then anyway, after all.
But in that case the addon owner should charge some percentage of the original price and ONCE!

Anyways one, as a customer, should always review the license details when buying a software. And with these cases we should always make these questions to the owner before buying them. Even better, do these questions in some public big area (like XF addon subforum) so everyone can see what is the ethic and way of the author. Maybe 1 dissatisfied customer doesn't do any harm to the author and he/she will not bother about it. Many ones, it's a different story (I remember all the hassle with the XF-WP XPress bridge from TH).

Gordon_Ramsay

Enthusiast
But in that case the addon owner should charge some percentage of the original price and ONCE!

Anyways one, as a customer, should always review the license details when buying a software. And with these cases we should always make these questions to the owner before buying them. Even better, do these questions in some public big area (like XF addon subforum) so everyone can see what is the ethic and way of the author. Maybe 1 dissatisfied customer doesn't do any harm to the author and he/she will not bother about it. Many ones, it's a different story (I remember all the hassle with the XF-WP XPress bridge from TH).
But you have attitudes on XenForo where addon authors aren't willing to lower the price, I could easily name quite a few authors.

And then you have an addon author who is not willing to support you but collect an easy pay day.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I think what's important is that there's enough information for the buyer to be able make an informed choice.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
I think what's important is that there's enough information for the buyer to be able make an informed choice.
Exactly. It's up to the buyer if they wish to get it. Getting angry about price won't really help much.

Gordon_Ramsay

Enthusiast
Exactly. It's up to the buyer if they wish to get it. Getting angry about price won't really help much.
True, but it allows me to see and for others to see which add on authors aren't willing to realize that they can't provide what they did before and not charge the same price, cause again, what if I buy something and then it doesn't work, thus a waste of money.

ips_doug

Aspirant
But you have attitudes on XenForo where addon authors aren't willing to lower the price, I could easily name quite a few authors.
So if a coder does not want to lower the price for his/her work, then he/she has an attitude according to you? Have you perhaps considered the fact that you might be the one with the attitude who is demanding others to lower the price for their work?

And then you have an addon author who is not willing to support you but collect an easy pay day.
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by ''not willing to support you but collect an easy pay day"?

If you have bought an add on from someone and that add on does not do what its author says it does, or if it does not work properly etc and the author does not want to correct it, you can report it to the xf staff.

Replicant

Neophyte
It's rarely that an addon author charge once for her/his work. What they charge is their original work and the SUPPORT work and updates when bugs are raised and/or a new XF version comes to the place. So they charge a 3month/6month/annual fee for it. Nothing wrong with that. It's the obvious way to do.

But why should I pay the same price if they unilaterally (as per license agreements, they can) stop provide SUPPORT work? The right thing to do, is not to renew the period as they will not support any updates or bug fixing. Or _AT LEAST_ put a considerable decrease of the price, not a 5% discount.

I don't know. Will you really pay the $55 annually renewal if the XF guys announce they will stop to provide support for their work, whatever reason is?

For new customers _AT LEAST_ they should not be charging $160.00 if they won't support their work.