unique niche ideas

gonzalo h

Aspirant
hi i know this is a lazy question an ill do the the work of course but i need help getting started. as you all probably know by now im an LGBTQ advocate but the issue is their are tons of sites centering around my niche. for example i heard its mostly a waste of time to start a gaming community due to thousands already existing. but what i have done is found an online LGBTQ community and actively participate there. however owning a forum is attractive to me i just need help thinking of non saturated niches i could explore. thank you

gonzalo h

Aspirant
good point thoug i am an LGBTQ advocate i am alsovery interested in insects and have raised butterflies in my area for years problem is their are tons of communities like this.

cheat_master30

Fanatic
good point thoug i am an LGBTQ advocate i am alsovery interested in insects and have raised butterflies in my area for years problem is their are tons of communities like this.

There may be tons of forums about insects and butterflies in particular, but hey, nothing says you can't run a successful one too. I mean, maybe there's some angle the existing sites are missing. Maybe some are badly run and members want an alternative.

I don't know. Follow your passion here and make the community you want to be part of.

gonzalo h

Aspirant
sorry 4 bumping I want Niches that Have not been taken yet. I really want a forum. Not a big board but just at least 5 members or so who are active. but i have not decided its niche yet. It seems like most niches have been covered elseware/oversaturated I will think of an idea myself but just need the gears turning. or should i drop the forum idea completely and use something else? wpress? idk?
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to advise me.

Last edited:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
To be honest, it sounds like you want to open a forum just for the sake of opening a forum - and that's never the road to success. No one can tell you what niche you should open a forum in, as only you know what interests you and what doesn't. Write a list of all the things you enjoy, pick the ones you think would make a good discussion forum, then do some research into it :)

sb1962

Adherent
Some mates & a facebook group may be a cheaper & more suitable option

gonzalo h

Aspirant
Some mates & a facebook group may be a cheaper & more suitable option

while that is a cheaper alternative i am against facebook because it takes information and spies on you. And the privacy settings are bull pardon my french. but maybe i could do a skype group idk :)

Last edited:

gonzalo h

Aspirant
sorry for double posting but what about joke forums such as one demanding users NOT to post or a friend suggested to me to make a forum about bathroom graffitti since that one has not been done lol. would joke forums work or be funny?

Last edited:

Maddox

Habitué
The problem you face is one that every budding forum owner faces; saturation. The Internet is saturated with websites/forums/blogs covering almost everything you could ever think of. As has already been mentioned by others, you should concentrate on what you know best, research what's already out there and see if there are any aspects that you can cover that hasn't already been covered, or that you believe you could do better.

Do any of the LGBTQ sites cover any of the aspects of being lonely or isolated - even bullied etc. Rather than generalise pick a subject that's relevant and focus upon it to draw a bigger picture and cover that area in depth.

Starting a forum nowadays is a huge undertaking in terms of garnering enough interest to feed your own interest; the thing is, if it doesn't work or attract the numbers you deem enough to make it worthwhile, you can always switch to another topic and another and another until you find something that clicks. Tenacity is the keyword - you have to have that passion and fire in your belly in order to break down the barriers.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

:tup:

gonzalo h

Aspirant
what about joke forums? would they be funny?

also tbh i don't really have a "passion" I just have mild to moderate interests in several things. I am active on many lgtbq sites but it would be pointless to start one today because the topics of bullying/depression have been covered thousands of times on other sites. At this point i would want a forum just for fun. I don't need it to last long anyway. maybe a year at most.
but thank you maddox for your advice.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I don't need it to last long anyway. maybe a year at most.
Then I don't really understand why you're bothering to start one - it can take a year just to get a slow dribble of new members coming in.