Turning an Active Forum into a Really Active Forum!

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Shawn Gossman submitted a new Article:

Turning and Active Forum into a Really Active Forum!

An active forum is what we want as forum administrators, right? But an active forum, while good, is not exactly a really active forum. Many of you want to eventually see your active forum become really active and essentially become a big board. I have written this article with the focus on helping you make your forum into a really active and entertaining community. The methods discussed in this article can practically be applied to every type of forum niche. Most of the material found in this article was discovered through actual experience, knowledge development, research and practical trial and error. Please feel free to comment below with more ideas and tips to forum owners on making their active forum a really active forum…

Content is not King, Content is GOD!
I think calling content, king is not giving content enough credit where credit is due. For a message forum, keyword ‘message’, content is more than just a king, content is the God. If you want members and active membership – you have to have awesome content that lures people in. Too many forum owners post generic topics found practically on every forum out there. It is fine to get ideas for content from other forums but to duplicate what other forums are already posting about is just going to waste your time and the potential members who visit your community. Content must be unique, it must be powerful and it MUST be useful to a member. Questions, tips, tutorials, articles, interviews, guides and the list goes on – these are all useful forms of content to others. If you run a niche forum, work to post the very best content about your niche on your niche forum.

To make content great – create a style of posting it. The title should be eye catching but not a type of title that baits people into something that turns out to be something completely different than what it seemed to be in the first place. Tricking your members will only show them that you cannot be trusted. One suggestion that I have for you when creating a new topic on your forum is to treat the topic like it’s a blog post. Bloggers tend to be more successful than forum owner and this is because they are focusing more effort on their content because that is what sells, whether it is to make actual money or earn fans. Treat each new topic on your forum as content that you are publishing to win some fans with and that will help you out a lot.

Create an article section! If you run a niche-specific community, this can easily...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldsmoboi

Fan
The only thing that I would add is to make some of your content controversial to your users. Even if it means taking a side that you might not normally take, it can really spur discussion. If you know your users well enough, it shouldn't be hard to know which buttons to push. I have a Ford Mustang review coming out next week that will likely stir that hornet's nest.

gnuru

Aspirant
thank you Shawn for this great article.

What do you think: what is the minimum amount of members to be able to start a contest?

mrbill

Enthusiast
What do you think: what is the minimum amount of members to be able to start a contest?
I plan to start with any amount. No big prizes so I'm not going to lose a lot, and it'll at least guarantee the winner will spread the word to some of his friends. I'm hoping it'll work like Amway, but actually work. :)

Ummagumma

Adherent
The only thing that I would add is to make some of your content controversial to your users. Even if it means taking a side that you might not normally take, it can really spur discussion. If you know your users well enough, it shouldn't be hard to know which buttons to push. I have a Ford Mustang review coming out next week that will likely stir that hornet's nest.
A bit of devils advocate. I like it...
healthy debate, heated but non inflammatory. :)