Trouble Finding Premium WP Theme

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
I'm in the process of converting a friend's static website into a WordPress site so he can sell a few items he makes or imports. I've been using WP for years, but the themes I use are photography oriented themes and neither are suitable for his uses. So, I read a ton of reviews and decided on the BE Theme. Big mistake.

The BE theme is full-featured, of course, but several of the features are plugins, some of which are required, and none of those plugins will do an auto-update. To get them to auto-update, I would have to purchase (my friend would have to reimburse) the pro/premium version of the plugin. So, a $61.00 theme turns into a 130.00+ theme pretty damn quick. And those plugins really aren't all that great or necessary. Without them, though, I have to spend an inordinate amount of time manually downloading too frequent theme updates and uploading them to my server (which takes longer than normal on my slowish connection).

What to do? It's very difficult to find information like this out before you pay for a theme. You can read tons of favorable and glowing reviews, but none seem to mention that to take advantage of WordPress' ability to update plugins and themes are a single click of a button, you would have to spend far more for plugins you might not even need.

Can any of you offer any guidance? Do any of you know of any forums that offer unbiased support for WP users like TAZ does for forum users? Don't suggest wphelpforum.com because that site is apparently clueless about the dangers of using Brivium add-ons and I ain't about to join a forum that threatens my online security.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jim

Drastic

Habitué
I find ones on ThemeForest and check their support threads to see that they're active and receiving replies from the creator. You can ask questions and the creator usually replies. Some of them have their own support forum specifically for their themes. Only once I had trouble with support on a theme, but it was my fault. I didn't check the author rating. They had left ThemeForest a year ago and I just bought/installed their theme. Good theme, but too bad they possibly ditched it.

Maddox

Habitué
Try https://www.elegantthemes.com/ their new theme Divi 3 covers all bases and once you have an active account with them you can enter an API key direct into the theme that will automatically update it when changes occur. They also have a catalogue of themes and their own plugins to complement them so finding what you want should be pretty easy. You can demo the themes before you decide to join up.

You can also checkout https://colorlib.com/wp/fast-loading-wordpress-themes/ if you want really fast and feature rich themes; Divi 3 is amongst them.

Good luck

;)

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
Please keep in mind that part of my problem is the "feature rich" issue. Those pre-packaged plugins often won't auto-update unless you pay for a license directly to the plugin developer. I don't want that kind of "feature" from a theme.

The BE theme I got was from ThemeForest. There was no indication that the so-called included plugin features wouldn't auto-update. The theme itself won't auto-update like so many WP themes do.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
...But often - the "full-featured" themes are labeled so BECAUSE they come with a myriad of premium plugins. And generally - the only way to keep the plugins updated is to purchase license and/or license renewal from the original theme owner; plugins as an out-of-box, unrelated-from-the-theme, owned is simply not a reality. Keeping your license updated should allow for plugin updates as you update the actual theme though, since the plugins are usually considered part of the theme. A really nice theme I purchased the otherday is ArkaHost ... It's billed as a hosting theme, but has so many extras that it can indeed be used for most anything, including a Woocommerce integration. See it at https://themeforest.net/item/arka-host-whmcs-hosting-shop-corporate-theme/12774797 ... But as has been posted = Buying the theme does not grant you license to the actual plugins auto-update functionality. It only assures that you'll have the most recent plugin version installed when upgrading the actual theme.

Best of luck Jim McClain ;)

J.

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
Unfortunately, I think I have not made my situation clear. Maybe this:
  1. I purchased a premium theme with multiple features, none of which were described as trial plugins.
  2. Upon installation of the theme, I found that the theme would not work without several of the features/plugins activated.
  3. I activated all the "required" plugins, even though I had no plans to use some of them.
  4. The first time I was notified that an update for a particular plugin was available, I discovered I could not update it by clicking a button.
    • I clicked a link, when the update failed, to visit the plugin author's page regarding why I couldn't auto-update.
    • The site said I had to purchase the plugin for $24.00 in order to enable auto-updates OR wait for the theme author to update the theme with any updates.
  5. The theme will not auto-update either - it must be manually downloaded and manually uploaded to my server to update.
  6. I have received 5 email notifications to download and upload the latest theme updates in the last 30 days, each one different than the last.
  7. And if I don't apply the updates, I risk the security of not only my friend's website, but my whole server.
  8. What a frickin' pain in the ass.
Hope that helps in the understanding of my dilemma. I'm feeling a bit ripped off by that theme purchase.

Maddox

Habitué
I seriously doubt that any developer is going to give you free updates indefinitely for their products, least of all utilising an automated method. As you are converting a friends website why not let them decide if they want to pay a licence fee (generally yearly) in order to minimise the pain of having to do manual updates; even then you will have to ensure that auto-updates are available from whoever you choose to purchase from.

We have to pay a licence fee for updates for our forum software and we have to download and upload these in order to ensure the latest versions are employed.

I have an ElegantThemes licence and when my sites need updating it's a one-click auto process that takes less than a minute. BTW the latest ET theme (Divi) is so feature rich that you would probably need a minimal number of external plugins. Below are some of what is included:

upload_2017-3-14_8-51-21.png

Good luck

ChrisTERiS

Enthusiast
I purchased a premium theme with multiple features, none of which were described as trial plugins.
Sorry to say, as I had the same bad experiance, but most (if not all), such "Including for free XYZ plugin(s) a $$$ value" are trials. Most themes are mentioning this restriction, but offcourse with very small letters by the end of the post and not, as the fair action is, with an (*) beside the offer so you can look what that asterisk means.

As I said, I had the same experiance, but the only that I was able todo is to buy a new theme without "extra toys". But let's face the true. Nobody can give for free so many commercial addons. They just make a deal with other authors, like "Let me add it for free and you'll earn from the updates".

Solidus

Stupid machines!
I have the Impreza theme, all updates (plugins too) are done through the WP dashboard as you'd expect. Super easy to work with.

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
I have the Impreza theme, all updates (plugins too) are done through the WP dashboard as you'd expect. Super easy to work with.
I'm curious about this statement because 2 of the plugins that Impreza uses are also used in the Be theme. Neither of them would update without a manual update of whole theme. In fact, Visual Composer (I don't remember if Slider Revolution did) nagged me to upgrade to their paid version just to be able to use auto-update.

Solidus

Stupid machines!
I automatically upgrade Visual Composer all the time. Never paid for it directly. Ultimate Addons for VC updates for free, too.
Although I do have a Revolution Slider license.