Traffic Spike

hurricane_sh

Enthusiast
Can Analytics filter out spam bot traffic? My forum's visits increased from 500 to 1K per day overnight, usually traffic spike like this only lasts one or two days, but this time it has been stable over 1K for over 2 weeks, looks quite real to me. The traffic source of new visits is direct visit, and the adsense impressions haven't increased at all. Is Analytics so poor at identifying legitimate traffic?

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
there was recently a google search algorithm update, maybe your site is ranking better...

hurricane_sh

Enthusiast
Analytics of the last 30 days. I believe the increased visits are bots, it's hard to believe analytics visits can be so exaggerated. Adsense is much better than Analytics when it comes to filtering out fake visits.

Kyrie

Fan
Analytics of the last 30 days. I believe the increased visits are bots, it's hard to believe analytics visits can be so exaggerated. Adsense is much better than Analytics when it comes to filtering out fake visits.

Interesting, have you checked the sources?

hurricane_sh

Enthusiast
I have blocked some bot IPs with firewall, forum guests have reduced 90% (from 1100 to less than 100), let's see if it would bring analytics stats down. I remember Analytics can filter out bot visits very well.

hurricane_sh

Enthusiast
Still the same despite that the forum guest number is only about 50, Analytics is not that bad.

TheChiro

Devotee
What bots did you block? What firewall are you using? So your gA is showing less uniques? A bit odd for a bot to trigger gA logs. I guess the bots are getting more sophisticated to where they can load js and that then counts as a unique?

Deathstarr

Forum Owner
Google Analytics>>Website you want>>click Admin on the side menu >> Under the third row (VIEW Row) Click >>View Settings>> at the bottom you will see exclude known bots and spiders.

ga1.png

ga2.png