Traffic Down alot - Something's going on

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I doubt it's related but I've noticed a massive (more than 50%) change in the ratio of uniques to page views across a number of sites, some of which are quite static.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Why not read the blog where people know and do not guess

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.co.uk/

You could also try using this, rather than guessing if the problem is mobile friendliness or not.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/t...log&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=blog-nav

But then according to some I know nothing

Meh !
Had you bothered to read what I posted previously -- it does NOT appear to be related to mobile friendliness. So your second link was not necessary.

Second. The Webmaster Central Blog is useless for this kind of thing. In my case, it is especially useless as you linked the UK version and 95 % of my traffic is US based. It may be the blog where people know and do not guess, but they rarely tell you anything of substance in these matters. Further, their last post on the blog was before this even happened.

Meh!

Adam H

** Retired **
http://searchengineland.com/google-says-no-panda-update-happened-this-past-weekend-220354

According to Google no "update". Huge amounts of people showing signs of losses though with no common denominator as a reference point ( i.e platform, type of site etc )

Cant comment from a personal stand point as accounts i have access to have seen nothing but improvement but seems to be alot of people affected and in the dark, too much so for there not to be some form of change.

ripptech

Professional Lurker
Here I thought it was just me. Down up to 20% from previous levels. Monitoring with great interest.

OUTL4W

<style>OUTL4W GFX</style> :p
I've also noticed in webmaster tools that since 5/13 there was a sharp spike in url error's (soft 404 & not found). I haven't updated anything recently so not sure what would be the cause of this unless its on googles end.

emanuele

Bugs Developer
[OT]
Second. The Webmaster Central Blog is useless for this kind of thing. In my case, it is especially useless as you linked the UK version and 95 % of my traffic is US based.
Have you ever noticed that blogspot (the .com TBH) changes the tld depending of where you are from? I guess not, otherwise you would have noticed that:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.co.uk/
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.it/
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.in/
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ru/
etc. have exactly the same content, the only difference is the tld. ;)
[/OT]

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
[OT]
etc. have exactly the same content, the only difference is the tld. ;)
[/OT]
Have you noticed that the google webmaster blog has nothing to do with the topic of this conversation and contains no discussions about this event? I guess not.

esquire

Habitué
Had you bothered to read what I posted previously -- it does NOT appear to be related to mobile friendliness. So your second link was not necessary.
The issue is almost certainly nothing to do with mobile friendly concerns. In addition, if it were, then it would likely be able to be spotted, especially using Analytics.

Second. The Webmaster Central Blog is useless for this kind of thing. In my case, it is especially useless as you linked the UK version and 95 % of my traffic is US based. It may be the blog where people know and do not guess, but they rarely tell you anything of substance in these matters. Further, their last post on the blog was before this even happened.
The Webmaster Blog is primarily for released information, not analysis. At Webmaster Central you can get someone to review issues with a site and also use a cloaked URL if desired. However, there needs to be much more specific information that can be used for analysis since no one else has access to WMT or Analytics. A drop could obviously be many things - and if over several sites on the same server, can be hosting related, DNS, etc. The more recent updates have primarily dealt with content mills, such as which you may have read (including in the comments.)

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Sorry I have nothing of substance to offer here.. other than my experience.

I just wanted to say - who the HELL wants to play guessing games with GOOGLE (aka Your Daddy, Your Mother and All That Sustains The Information Travelling Through Your Veins..In Secret Analytical Mathematics That Are Waaaaaaaaaaaaay Over Your Head.)?

I had a catastrophy affect my VPS server and sites - several years ago. My sites were down for months while I attempted to do what I thought was a diligent rebuilding.... My Google Adsense earnings have not been ANY- where near the same since. And I know we're not talking about Adsense persay... But Hundreds of dollars gone forever? Where are they? Who knows? IDK.... But I'd like to blame the entire episode (if indeed years can be quantified as episodic) on inept webhosting that screwed me without respect to Vaseline or any other lubricant. But you'd think after a good minute and a half -- okay - 2 years+ of recuperative rest ... the earnings would tend to do the inevitable and .... recuperate.

Ha!

And I hate to be the Negative Nancy - but I have 2 additional words ==> YEAH. RIGHT!
15% drop in traffic is indicative of what? Let the guessing games begin and let the best guesser win? Oh wait a sec - the best guesser IS Google itself.. They pride themselves in guessing (or knowing - the jury is out?) what you're looking for and giving it to you.... Which brings up a interesting question: Have you ever tried to actually contact Google and ask them to give you anything specifically? Tried getting through to someone there in Googleland and speak to someone or them (or him or her) about the decline in traffic?? And what did the incessant ringing tell you? OR - did you (unlike myself) actually get through??

For those of you who haven't tried contacting The Google. Here is an article entitled: How To Contact Google: 13 Steps (with Pictures) .
Google itself ranks the link second of some 2,430,000,000 links for the phrase 'contact google'

Best of luck ;)

J.

Last edited:

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Makes you want to know if you can edit the definition of "quality" as to better serves yourself eh? :p
Interesting though.. Expected to be sure. But definitely interesting as to how a "quality update" can negatively impact your earnings.. I'm only assuming that since you've seen a 15% drop in traffic that your earnings have been affected as well...? Hopefully in a positive capacity - but more than likely - in a negative one...? IDK. I do know I probably could have written something about "quality control" in the post above this one - but what for?? LOL

J.

esquire

Habitué
I had a catastrophy affect my VPS server and sites - several years ago. My sites were down for months while I attempted to do what I thought was a diligent rebuilding.... My Google Adsense earnings have not been ANY- where near the same since. And I know we're not talking about Adsense persay... But Hundreds of dollars gone forever? Where are they? Who knows? IDK.... But I'd like to blame the entire episode (if indeed years can be quantified as episodic) on inept webhosting that screwed me without respect to Vaseline or any other lubricant. But you'd think after a good minute and a half -- okay - 2 years+ of recuperative rest ... the earnings would tend to do the inevitable and .... recuperate.
Which site?
15% drop in traffic is indicative of what? Let the guessing games begin and let the best guesser win? Oh wait a sec - the best guesser IS Google itself.. They pride themselves in guessing (or knowing - the jury is out?) what you're looking for and giving it to you.... Which brings up a interesting question: Have you ever tried to actually contact Google and ask them to give you anything specifically? Tried getting through to someone there in Googleland and speak to someone or them (or him or her) about the decline in traffic?? And what did the incessant ringing tell you? OR - did you (unlike myself) actually get through??
Try Google Webmaster Central. There is a great deal of help given there by many very experienced people, including Google employees on a good number of occasions. It seems simple answer to ask "why did this happen?" But it's not if you really give it thought -- especially when you factor in over 200 ranking factors, trying to guess and estimate the activity of your competition (a good number of which you may be completely unaware, and a growing amount of complexity that is just necessitated by the sheer number of players, diversity of resources and insane amount of competition. There is a ton of stuff to know and you need to appreciate that others may have dedicated people just trying to nail down every part of their site and you've got to use your available time to do the same. It is what it is. If we can help, glad to do so.

49er

Enthusiast

esquire

Habitué
Quality - can be a number of things. Typically it's not what you may assume it is, e.g. the value of your content in a purely subjective context. Quality can mean things like updates which evaluate the number of ads in your content and where they are placed. Sites with too many ads in the header and above the fold are generally assumed to provide a lower quality experience to the user. It does make sense. And the team at Google that I have met and associated with are quite sharp, open minded and willing to hear a coherent and logical concern. You can learn a great deal at Webmaster Central. The unfortunate aspect is, as I mentioned, you begin to realize the insane learning curve that exists as there is so much more than you will assume, e.g. rel alternate tags, the details of robots and noindex, etc. The blog is a great place to hear about announcements although the forum is the place to go for interaction and learning, IMHO. The blog comments have a good number of people hoping to hear back from the author or spread their name/site to others. The actions is at the forum.