Traffic Down alot - Something's going on

• Admin

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Has anyone else noticed this the last few days?

ALL of my sites have experienced a 15% or so traffic drop in the last 3 days. I have found some similar discussion on this here: https://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4744522.htm

I haven't been able to find any commonality as of yet. This is happening on mobile friendly and non mobile friendly sites that I own. Forums and wordpress installations. Even 2 HTML hard coded sites I own have seen a traffic drop.

Is anyone else noticing this?

ForumsGroup

Adherent
All my sites are mobile friendly, so I haven't experienced any drop offs in traffic.

I know I seen this Alert on Google Adsense this week saying, "Your site's mobile-friendliness is now considered as a Google Search ranking signal."

Starting April 21, 2015, Google Search will be expanding its use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in Google Search results. Users will find it easier to get relevant, high quality search results optimized for their devices.

• Admin

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
As I said... This is happening on mobile friendly and non mobile friendly sites that I own. So it doesn't appear to be mobile related.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
All my sites are mobile friendly, so I haven't experienced any drop offs in traffic.

I know I seen this Alert on Google Adsense this week saying, "Your site's mobile-friendliness is now considered as a Google Search ranking signal."

Starting April 21, 2015, Google Search will be expanding its use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in Google Search results. Users will find it easier to get relevant, high quality search results optimized for their devices.
That only affects mobile searches. :)

And as stated in the first post, this is happening on mobile friendly sites anyway. :)

ForumsGroup

Adherent
That only affects mobile searches. :)

And as stated in the first post, this is happening on mobile friendly sites anyway. :)
I understand. That's the only thing that I'm aware of that it could be. My sites have not experienced any hiccups in traffic lately though.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
I wonder if Google pulled some sort of shot like they do in the White House, add something to a bill, and bury it and hope for the best.

Hard to tell with Google, they are a bit closed mouth when it comes to certain things.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
As you can see from all the comments in the two sites, no one really knows, all it is is a guessing game. :(

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
As you can see from all the comments in the two sites, no one really knows, all it is is a guessing game. :(
Well, yes. What I'm interested in is if its something to do with forums specifically being downgraded somehow..

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
But since you noticed it in WordPress and two HTML hard coded sites, would then not point to it not being forum specific?

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
But since you noticed it in WordPress and two HTML hard coded sites, would then not point to it not being forum specific?
Almost certainly, not to mention other webmasters are reporting this. I'm just gathering information. My first guess is that its some kind of panda update.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
That would be my guess, since the last panda update is/was missing in action.

Bikenut

Enthusiast
Just a guess, but here is my take.
Weather is nice in the mountain states, warm weather has landed. This happened same time as the Google changes so it was freaking me out.

People are gardening, avoiding HOA fees by working on the lawn, doing all sorts of outdoor stuff that isn't done in cold weather.

It's hit my usual weekend traffic on my two motorcycle forums quite a bit but they are logging in at night. I'm keeping an eye on it.

Adam H

** Retired **
Given the fact people have noted that they've seen small position drops which is most likely the cause of loss of traffic i would "assume" its a small algorithm adjustment.

Could be a blip at the end of the mobile roll out causing havoc across the board for both mobile and none mobile friendly sites i suppose ( wouldnt be the first time ), Ive seen large amounts of non-mobile friendly sites reporting increase in rankings and traffic since the update so could very well be a balls up. Give it a week or two and see if they the position bounce back, the fluctuations settle and the traffic returns..........if it doesnt then its highly likely a Algo update/adjustment.

Last edited:

Will_Watts

Habitué
Is your traffic dropping across both desktop and mobile? Mobile friendly doesn't imply it'll rank highly on mobile - there are still going to be different levels of mobile friendly.

davemacc

Fan
It could have something to do with the weekend that is in it. A lot of countries are celebrating Labour day this weekend (strangley not the US though)
The way that May 1st has fallen this year means a 3 day weekend in a lot of countries.
That may account for a traffic fall off

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
It could have something to do with the weekend that is in it. A lot of countries are celebrating Labour day this weekend (strangley not the US though)
The way that May 1st has fallen this year means a 3 day weekend in a lot of countries.
That may account for a traffic fall off

I am almost certain its not seasonal.