Feedback Thread closing/ Moderation

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
So, instead of "being a parent", you'd rather just remove the toys the kids are fighting about from the room.
Are you a parent, Scott? :)

Removing the toys they're fighting about is exactly what we do lol

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
Yes, I am. And I know that is the easy fix. But, the actual problem, the bad behavior, isn't fixed.

Scott

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Yes, I am. And I know that is the easy fix. But, the actual problem, the bad behavior, isn't fixed.
Heh it is in my house. They get three chances. Third strike, the toy never makes a return.

Steve

Fanatic
No I don't discipline my kids in that way. We work with timeouts and a talk after things cool off. If toys are involved they are placed up on a shelf so they can remember why they are on that shelf.

But we are definitely not talking about kids here on TAZ

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
TAZ is an admin forum. I think this discussion has gone off the rails - at this point there is no plan to return to allowing divisive threads anytime soon for the reasons I stated earlier. It has nothing to do with children, safe spaces, discipline, or punishment - it has everything to do with the negative effect it has on the community.

dieKetzer

Adherent
TAZ is an admin forum. I think this discussion has gone off the rails - at this point there is no plan to return to allowing divisive threads anytime soon for the reasons I stated earlier. It has nothing to do with children, safe spaces, discipline, or punishment - it has everything to do with the negative effect it has on the community.
thats the same argument used by those that champion safe spaces.
coincidence?

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
They get three chances. Third strike, the toy never makes a return.
:) So should TAZ give us two more chances to discuss politics or religion?

The better analogy is a Kindergarten. Completely removing the toys being fought for doesn't stop the bad behavior of the few. It only delays it, at best.

Scott

Last edited:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Both you and Steve also missed the real point. :(

Scott
I have to disagree and say you're missing the point here :) That being TAZ isn't a political or religious debates forum.

I'm going to have to agree with the other staff members here; Those threads were driving people away.

When I suggested a "hot seat" forum I thought the users would be mature enough to handle debate without taking it personal. All it accomplished was a lot of hurt feelings and staff conflicted about moderating discussions they might have participated in. When the private forum closed it just spilled out into the public forums and it was worse than before.

Now, I will say this; there were particular users that used that private forum and the public threads to basically troll everyone else into replying. This obviously didn't help matters and maybe things would have gone differently without them. But eventually someone like that would have come a long anyway so....

When you have people claiming that TAZ is running a "right wing conspiracy" something just simply has to be done about it.

If you want to debate politics and religion I can point you to several forums, subreddits, imageboards, and irc channels where that is the main topic. Most of them aren't even censored and you're allowed to say whatever you want (well excluding reddit, most of the popular subreddits related to this slant one way or the other).

Danielx64

Developer
I can also point anyone to a forum that has an area for this kind of thîng as well. No I dont post in that section of the forum so I dont know how it goes. Message me if you want the link.

While I am no staff, I was a little upset by the return of one member and I was hoping that he would have been better behaved, I suppose I was wrong.

Being honest, any staff win wants to know who I am talking about is welcomed to message me and I can name that person. Yes he is on my ignore list but still.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
I have to disagree and say you're missing the point here :) That being TAZ isn't a political or religious debates forum.

Yes, I get that for sure. And just like taking away the toys from the children, denying the ability to discuss politics or religion doesn't solve the problem that a few members here don't behave properly in certain situations. You are just removing the possibility of them getting into that situation more often, not improving their behavior or the fact that these people might cause problems in other discussions later.

This is just like giving a fish or teaching how to fish. But then, I guess the TAZ team don't feel they are in any position to teach people how to behave, whereas, I certainly wish more people would be less tolerable to poor behavior.

Any how. Enough. I'll let it go. Thanks for listening.

Scott

This is just like giving a fish or teaching how to fish. But then, I guess the TAZ team don't feel they are in any position to teach people how to behave, whereas, I certainly wish more people would be less tolerable to poor behavior.

Scott

If I told some users what was on my mind they'd be in the suggestions forum claiming I was "unprofessional" and should have my moderator position stripped away. I'm all for tough love and letting them know to knock it off, but I'm currently too busy to deal with things like that and frankly I don't want to.

There is truth in what you're saying. I'm all for having those type of threads here at TAZ. The issue is time and time again many have shown that they can't participate in them without causing drama and spreading it all over the forum when the threads end up getting closed. Then after causing all that drama they turn around and cry "censorship!" when most of them would be fully in support of getting rid of users they didn't like that had "undesirable opinions".

In short, no one can act like an adult anymore. Just act like freakin' adults guys.

Steve

Fanatic
But, you will have to, sooner or later, because the root problem isn't solved, which I think you sort of get at in the end.
Actually the root problem is solved since the subject isn't allowed.

Like I previously said, these users are usually very helpful here but the heated topics tend to cause a lot of negativity which takes away from what TAZ is meant for, plain and simple.