Thoughts on Animated Logos

we_are_borg

Administrator
Because most animated logos will be crap and take resources on the device away, the linked site is done right.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Animated logos are still popular in my neck of the woods but then again so are affiliate banners…

For why animated logos might not be stellar, I give you one of the wider scene from my end of the woods, which is considered amongst best of breed: https://absinthe.jcink.net/

Animated logos take more resources thah non animated logos, can often be distracting (eye-catching is great until you’re already on the page, then it’s a distraction) and the most egregious cases can trigger issues in people with photosensitivity.

Pete

That is an impressive site using Invision. :tup:
It’s not really Invision. It’s actually a modified InvisionFree which anyone can sign up for as a free user at jcink.net which upgrades cleanly to current IPS should one wish to do so.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I like animated logos. However, most tend to be overdone; too much movement, animation with no purpose, etc. The better ones are more subtle, like that science one, though even those can pull attention away from the real content, as zappaDPJ mentioned. If you're going to use one, it's best to have it cycle once or twice, then stop.

R0binHood

Habitué
Not a fan. By all means have some nice animations above the fold to catch the eye on a landing page, but I don't want animations following me around a page/site or on every page load.

ThornInYourSide

Participant
TOTALLY opposed to any continuous animation. A one off play upon page load, maybe. But it MUST stop and not repeat again until the next page load.

I've gone to the extent of disabling animation in browsers with that option. In cases where I can't for some reason, I block the image.

Keep in mind that there are some people out there who are medically or visually affected by some things. Repetitive motion images have been said to trigger epileptic events, though I'm not sure they ever been proven.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
That's a good point. While I do like subtle animation that stops, there are other concerns. People with severe vestibular disorders can find animated images extremely disorientating.

centrestaging

Neophyte
I had to drop in and see where all the new traffic was coming from my site. Thanks Pete for all the new hits? XD

I'm not much for animated banners... but I've found in jcink, people are heavy into aesthetics and you have to have an edge to grab someone fast. Our banner is animated, but only appears on the initial index page. Every other page you go to it's hidden so it's not distracting when you're roaming around on the site. I'm not a fan of having big banner images or logos on every page you're on or unnecessary scrolling.

But if we're considered 'best of breed' for it I'll totally take it. Even if it's not everyone's cup o'tea. <~~~see what I did there? It was a victorian English pun.

...I'll show myself out. XD

Pete

I had to drop in and see where all the new traffic was coming from my site. Thanks Pete for all the new hits? XD

I'm not much for animated banners... but I've found in jcink, people are heavy into aesthetics and you have to have an edge to grab someone fast. Our banner is animated, but only appears on the initial index page. Every other page you go to it's hidden so it's not distracting when you're roaming around on the site. I'm not a fan of having big banner images or logos on every page you're on or unnecessary scrolling.

But if we're considered 'best of breed' for it I'll totally take it. Even if it's not everyone's cup o'tea. <~~~see what I did there? It was a victorian English pun.

...I'll show myself out. XD
I gotta admit, Absinthe *is* beautiful and you're absolutely right that the demographic is big on aesthetics, but it was the perfect example for why animated banners may also be controversial and complicated.

But I will reiterate what I said: you are considered best of breed amongst your peers for artistic panache and setting. Absinthe has come up a few times in conversation and it's always complimentary on how eye-catching your design is - which means you're achieving exactly what you hoped for :)

I'll also admit I prefer Absinthe's style to Eleutheria, that doesn't grab me as much but I'm getting off topic. (I'm just sad that I have zero imagination for the Victorian era of London otherwise I'd join up.

You certainly can use animation to catch peoples' attention but I think it's a perfect example of everything that's said in this topic: it's not rapid or super distracting (which also means unlikely to trigger people with photosensitivity issues), while being distinctive and eye-catching for everyone.

Incidentally, Absinthe also reiterates my other points made recently here that RP forums behave quite a bit differently to current regular forum thinking, but that's also a story for another day.

Joel R

Fan
A broader point on over the top community designs, theming, animated logos:

I've personally undergone a revolution of design on my own site over the years. In the beginning like most other novice community builders, I spent too much time and focus on the theme, the design, new logos, and pretty colors. As the site has grown in popularity and content, I've naturally stripped away more and more of those design-related flourishes. My logo has become smaller and smaller. On mobile, I completely hide my logo now. My sites logo is literally and metaphorically less emphasized, as more space is given to real, substantive content.

While I think animated logos and eye-catching design is certainly useful and appropriate in some niches, community designs will naturally become simpler, flatter, and more accessible as your site grows.

To all community builders out there, my message is to keep your eyes on the real prize. Novelty of design is a one time shot. Great content by a thriving community is lasting.

Fait

Aspirant
I’m my opinion it be slightly annoying but of course it depends how well done it is.

southernlady

Devotee
Animated logos are still popular in my neck of the woods but then again so are affiliate banners…

For why animated logos might not be stellar, I give you one of the wider scene from my end of the woods, which is considered amongst best of breed: https://absinthe.jcink.net/

Animated logos take more resources thah non animated logos, can often be distracting (eye-catching is great until you’re already on the page, then it’s a distraction) and the most egregious cases can trigger issues in people with photosensitivity.
I liked the fog at the bottom, didn’t care for the eyes at the side.