Thoughts on a conspiracy forum

l3ta

Aspirant
l3ta I have used all the major softwares, including a bunch of minor ones. Even coded a forum software of my own called MintBB. It's a pet project of mine that I do in my free time. I'll more than likely never release it for download, although I did buy the domain. Maybe someday I'll let others tell me how pointless another forum software is in today's market. lol screenshot below (yes I know there is huge white block in the header, ill fix someday lol)

Xenforo is nice, but I'm an IPB fan at heart. Being using IPB now on 12 years... :pipe: lol
Sweet. You are at another level if you are writing forum software :geek:
Launch that site!

Papa Tango

Aspirant
Great Idea! Think of how much time you can waste moderating and banning various mentally unstable, fringe whack jobs! That could become a hobby in its own right... :ROFLMAO:

Fred1978

Neophyte
I think the whole conspiracy theory thing has been beaten to death.

I've always wanted to see a forum that was dedicated to prophecy. To me, that's a much more interesting topic that isn't served anywhere at the moment.

ETA: There's a lot more than just nostradamus, too. Virtually every religion has its own prophecy. Then there's a ton of native american prophecy that's really interesting.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
I've always wanted to see a forum that was dedicated to prophecy
*Edits timestamps, edit history* -> The prophecies have been fulfilled!

More seriously, I think prophecy/divination would be a hard subject to discuss as it overlaps with religion as a more general niche. You'd definitely want its larger audience before covering such a niche subject even becomes viable with a minority of interested participants. The only issue is really that folks interested in religion talk tend to be conservative and not terribly interested in poking deeply into science and the mystic.

Fred1978

Neophyte
*Edits timestamps, edit history* -> The prophecies have been fulfilled!

More seriously, I think prophecy/divination would be a hard subject to discuss as it overlaps with religion as a more general niche. You'd definitely want its larger audience before covering such a niche subject even becomes viable with a minority of interested participants. The only issue is really that folks interested in religion talk tend to be conservative and not terribly interested in poking deeply into science and the mystic.
Not so much. Religious people for the most part have lost interest for prophecy. Too much of a downer I guess. Now it's relegated to Coast to Coast.

Papa Tango

Aspirant
Alex Jones? I thought a cork had been shoved in his bunghole recently... :eek:

Here is a great idea, and I base this on experience. Start a political forum. There you will attract and fill a basket with all sorts of conspiracy paranoids, religious nuts, right-wingers who want to return to the 50s, and an assortment of alcoholic ax grinders and mentally challenged trolls.

Sounds like fun, right? At two years and nearly 3000 members, I shut it down in the dead of night. No more antacids and I cut my blood pressure medication down to half of what it was...

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
There you will attract and fill a basket with all sorts of conspiracy paranoids, religious nuts, right-wingers who want to return to the 50s, and an assortment of alcoholic ax grinders and mentally challenged trolls.
I can think of at least one TAZ member who has made that targeted demographic user base into quite a successful forum.

LordOfSpoon

So, the niche I decided on is a mix of conspiracy, ufo, political, and religious topics. This gives me many topics to create threads over; and I can easily condense forums. As there is no need to start a forum with a crap ton of sections.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
So, the niche I decided on is a mix of conspiracy, ufo, political, and religious topics. This gives me many topics to create threads over; and I can easily condense forums. As there is no need to start a forum with a crap ton of sections.
Sounds like a lot of fun. You shouldn't want for posts, and if you do manage to somehow generate some intelligent discourse out of all the cognitive dissonance and outright crazy, I'd love to know.
Have popcorn, will travel.