Thoughts on a conspiracy forum

LordOfSpoon

I really hate to be the grinch in these discussions. Like whenever someone has an idea about a forum, I basically say the same thing. Of course I wish everyone the best and I hope I am wrong and they become successful, but I believe a good friend should always be frank and tell how he feels.

So if you want to start on this project, you must put a plan together. Offering a place for discussion or blogging will not suffice at all. Today anybody can open a wordpress blog if they felt they need to say something. Or anybody can register on those 3 sites I mentioned and they will have a better chance to find an audience than on a forum.

So, the question is what else can you offer. If you had an archive of conspiracy theories and put that content on your site, then you would have a plan. Like even though those 3 sites offer the same thing, they don't have categories and all discussions are forgotten after a time. A forum is structured and if you could process your content in a good way so people can find stuff, you would offer something the other cannot.
No no I completely agree! I have some other ideas up my sleeve. Like I've been working (very slowly) on a project of mine called, OliveBranch.io but, I just have had the time up until recent. I'm self employed and have much more time fortunately.

I have to admit that if Google does demote conspiracy forums then that's a good reason not to bother.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but knowing Google might do this is making me paranoid 🛸
I gotta say. Once I Googled it and found nothing I was getting pretty excited lol There is no sense in limiting myself with that small amount of non-exposure and giving myself even more work.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Conspiracy theorists are wordy. They posted a median of 20,599 words, versus the 8,082 words of the control group.".
Actually, it's keyboard users in general that are confortable regularly writing long, well thought posts.

If forum software filtered metrics according to desktop/mobile, you'd notice the types of contribution from mobile users radically differs from those of members participating from desktops/laptops - oneliners, reaction smileys :eek:, grammer/speeling mistakes, erronous autocorrections and 'SMS-speak'. Can a discussion really progress if everyone simply responds to the first post using a :tup: ?
An intellectual community can perfectly stimulate participation from desktop users while principally targetting a mobile audience of readers and casual participants.

LordOfSpoon

Actually, it's keyboard users in general that are confortable regularly writing long, well thought posts.

If forum software filtered metrics according to desktop/mobile, you'd notice the types of contribution from mobile users radically differs from those of members participating from desktops/laptops - oneliners, reaction smileys :eek:, grammer/speeling mistakes, erronous autocorrections and 'SMS-speak'. Can a discussion really progress if everyone simply responds to the first post using a :tup: ?
An intellectual community can perfectly stimulate participation from desktop users while principally targetting a mobile audience of readers and casual participants.
You know, that has never occurred to me before. Although, the only real web browsing I do on my phone is shopping or looking for something near me. If I'm going to a website or online community to talk our seriously look into the site, I always use a computer. But, I guess I'm kinda old school compared to these young whipper snappers and their techo gadgets...

LordOfSpoon

Hmmm I over thinking again and was considering solely a UFO and possibly a paranormal site. But there is some pretty hardcore competition there lol Although I did a Google search for UFO forums and found....one. lol So, I wonder how they get past the censorship?

Edit: Nope, there is just to many massive message boards over the subject. It would be an amazing site and adventure, but the reality is that it wont work no matter how hard I tried. So, back to the drawing board I go for the 1000th time... thanks everyone for the advice and convos. :)

Last edited:

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Your principal source of activity should normally be humans coming through links posts elsewhere, bookmarks and personal connections (friends inviting others).

I'm surprised anyone even gives a damn about google regarding this subject. Your forum is supposed to cater to humans, not search engine bots or the whims of any 3rd-party service that doesnt respect your editorial freedoms. Free expression requires opinions not be controlled, manipulated or otherwise restricted abusively, and letting 3rdparty services in as dependencies dictating your policies will likely limit your growth.

If you need funding, let users chip in through Patreon and sell direct ads based on duration criterias (nothing to game here, youd control the display prices and can adjust them according to interest and site stats).

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
So there's a conspiracy that Google actively identifies and demotes conspiracy forums? :cautious: :D

LordOfSpoon If you're ever looking for an existing forum that you want to help out their UFO/aliens/weird stuff with...... ;)

LordOfSpoon

So there's a conspiracy that Google actively identifies and demotes conspiracy forums? :cautious: :D

LordOfSpoon If you're ever looking for an existing forum that you want to help out their UFO/aliens/weird stuff with...... ;)
Kevin That actually sounds like a more viable option. I’ve wanted to get back into forum administration for a while now, but have been struggling with finding a proper niche.

Last edited:

Zero Numbers

Adherent
Google is obviously run by grey aliens lol
Your principal source of activity should normally be humans coming through links posts elsewhere, bookmarks and personal connections (friends inviting others).

I'm surprised anyone even gives a damn about google regarding this subject. Your forum is supposed to cater to humans, not search engine bots or the whims of any 3rd-party service that doesnt respect your editorial freedoms.

They live. We sleep.

LordOfSpoon

So I think after a couple days of deep thought... I'm setting forth on chat/paranormal/ufo based community. Yeah, its a bummer that it won't be index on Google, whatever. It's about the content and the passion behind it, right. Now, i just need a bitchin' name for it...

CrazyTech

Enthusiast
I'll be honest.

I've seen enough conspiracies on non-conspiracy forums to never want to step into the morass of moderation on a dedicated conspiracy website.

Your chosen niche is a little better than what I had in mind from your OP.

LordOfSpoon

Well, that was my hope starting this thread. Starting with an idea, and through feedback of everyone here, being able to mold and shape that idea into a viable option. I gotta admit, I'm a little hesitant... That''s how it works though. Always worried it wont work out or the niche I chose was a bad idea.

l3ta

Neophyte
Well, that was my hope starting this thread. Starting with an idea, and through feedback of everyone here, being able to mold and shape that idea into a viable option. I gotta admit, I'm a little hesitant... That''s how it works though. Always worried it wont work out or the niche I chose was a bad idea.
Hi LoS. I've had an alien ufo forum for almost 3 years now. Only 28 members, but I enjoy working on it. So, if money is no issue, go for it.
It is not as troublesome as ppl might think.

LordOfSpoon

Hi LoS. I've had an alien ufo forum for almost 3 years now. Only 28 members, but I enjoy working on it. So, if money is no issue, go for it.
It is not as troublesome as ppl might think.
Perfect! Could we swap URLs? You can always PM me here! Maybe we could work together somehow if you would like. :)

l3ta

Neophyte
Perfect! Could we swap URLs? You can always PM me here! Maybe we could work together somehow if you would like. :)
Sure. You can visit us at: alienbabble.com
I'm actually looking forward to see your site up and running. I was even searching domain names to see if there are any cool ones left. My first search was for conspiranoia, but that one is not available lol.

On our site, we have a forum where you can promote other ufo/conspiracy forums, so do visit and post a link. Maybe you will have better luck at it ;-)

LordOfSpoon

Sure. You can visit us at: alienbabble.com
I'm actually looking forward to see your site up and running. I was even searching domain names to see if there are any cool ones left. My first search was for conspiranoia, but that one is not available lol.

On our site, we have a forum where you can promote other ufo/conspiracy forums, so do visit and post a link. Maybe you will have better luck at it ;-)
I just finished setting up CloudFlare and uploading IPB and preforming some server hardening. Once I finish build the theme and getting some content on there I'll connect with you about it! Also, I'll create an account on your site. I'd love to contribute. :thumb:

l3ta

Neophyte
I just finished setting up CloudFlare and uploading IPB and preforming some server hardening. Once I finish build the theme and getting some content on there I'll connect with you about it! Also, I'll create an account on your site. I'd love to contribute. :thumb:
Kewl. Have you considered Xenforo for your forum software? It is awesome, too.

LordOfSpoon

l3ta I have used all the major softwares, including a bunch of minor ones. Even coded a forum software of my own called MintBB. It's a pet project of mine that I do in my free time. I'll more than likely never release it for download, although I did buy the domain. Maybe someday I'll let others tell me how pointless another forum software is in today's market. lol screenshot below (yes I know there is huge white block in the header, ill fix someday lol)

Xenforo is nice, but I'm an IPB fan at heart. Being using IPB now on 12 years... :pipe: lol

Attachments