Thoughts on a conspiracy forum

LordOfSpoon

I've been struggling with find a new forum niche for awhile now. Now I'm considering starting a conspiracy forum. Looking around there isn't much in the way or discussion boards on the subject. Well, not including Above Top Secret. If you have ever been there, the site has changed ownership so many times the owners have completely lost touch with their community and the community itself is pretty much a rant over the US elections and such.

So, I would love to hear your opinions and if any of you happen to have experience in conspiracy forums in any way? I think it would be a unique and highly customization site.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
It's a niche with two very opposing sides for me.

On the positive side it's a subject that should be easier than most to get something going even if there is competition. It's literally an addiction for a lot of people.

On the negative side conspiracy theories can do a lot of damage, especially to the people involved. Lenny Pozner who lost a child at Sandy Hook is a prime example of just how much damage can be done by conspiracy theories.

Personally I don't think I'd want the responsibility running such a site but it could well be a winner if you do decide to go ahead.

LordOfSpoon

I've never really thought of it like that before. I would rather the site be more UFO, natural phenomena, ww2, bermuda/devils triangle, etc. based. While still appealing to peoples right to post their own opinions.

I do think people can become obsessed with theories. I myself have never been that interested in the conspiracy world. It's interesting. But, you won't find rows of books and notes about 'research' laying around my house lol

I might go ahead with it, just with some really eagle eyed moderation. :)

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Personally I think dedicating an entire site to conspiracy talk will result in its eventual degradation into forum wars, but the general idea of enlightened discussion of topics among intellectuals is not bad. Many forums focus on activity level and not enough on the quality of discourse, and those that focus on quality tend to overlook the fact that contributors need some level of 'protection' from the quickfix people that keep generating distractions and degrade the discourse (trolls, fools, kids, newbies, non-primitive bots...).

Joel R

Fan
I've never really thought of it like that before. I would rather the site be more UFO, natural phenomena, ww2, bermuda/devils triangle, etc. based. While still appealing to peoples right to post their own opinions.

I do think people can become obsessed with theories. I myself have never been that interested in the conspiracy world. It's interesting. But, you won't find rows of books and notes about 'research' laying around my house lol

I might go ahead with it, just with some really eagle eyed moderation. :)
Here's an interesting article on conspiracy theorists: https://www.fastcompany.com/9043308...damentally-misunderstand-conspiracy-theorists

Some interesting food for thought.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Conspiracy theorists aren't all bad, although there are some cases where a few bad apples go too far. You just need to be very careful of certain subjects, especially when a conspiracy might cross over into outright slander. UFOs and flat earth should be fine.

I don't really like anti-vaxxers or "vaccines cause autism" because their views actually do put people at risk from preventable diseases.

LordOfSpoon

Personally I think dedicating an entire site to conspiracy talk will result in its eventual degradation into forum wars, but the general idea of enlightened discussion of topics among intellectuals is not bad. Many forums focus on activity level and not enough on the quality of discourse, and those that focus on quality tend to overlook the fact that contributors need some level of 'protection' from the quickfix people that keep generating distractions and degrade the discourse (trolls, fools, kids, newbies, non-primitive bots...).
Oh you're right. Using ATS as an example again, that has happened. But, I think with proper moderation it can pay off. ATS had a 'golden age' where it was a great site with many interesting people to talk to. Which are all long go now :/ "Many forums focus on activity level and not enough on the quality" I love that and couldn't agree more!

Here's an interesting article on conspiracy theorists: https://www.fastcompany.com/9043308...damentally-misunderstand-conspiracy-theorists

Some interesting food for thought.
lol Honestly the main take-away from that article is "Conspiracy theorists are wordy. They posted a median of 20,599 words, versus the 8,082 words of the control group.". Sounds like discussions will be plentiful lol

Conspiracy theorists aren't all bad, although there are some cases where a few bad apples go too far. You just need to be very careful of certain subjects, especially when a conspiracy might cross over into outright slander. UFOs and flat earth should be fine.

I don't really like anti-vaxxers or "vaccines cause autism" because their views actually do put people at risk from preventable diseases.
Yes, eagle eyed moderation would be needed. But, I do think a lot of good convos can be generated from it. And I agree some conspiracy theories do go a little too far, like anti-vaxing and such.

My only piece of advice is, if you do start one, DO NOT host on a Russian server.

hahaha
That's amazing advice lol

There you go the answer is right in front of you. Start a forum for people struggling to find forum niches :ROFLMAO:

All of my useful advice and coaching is completely free of charge of course.
I love you...

I was going to provide a slight gratuity for your trouble. Rain check i guess. lol

LordOfSpoon

I really like the idea of a conspiracy theory forum where one can engage in intelligent discussion. Unfortunately, the only way that is ever going to happen is if your forum bans all conspiracy theorists.
I feel like that would hinder my signup rates lol :p

Ingenious

Fan
You'd need a really thick skin and lots of patience LordOfSpoon to moderate a conspiracy forum I think, but I like the idea especially skewed towards the UFO side (though I have no idea if there's existing forums that serve this well, or FB groups etc.).

LordOfSpoon

You'd need a really thick skin and lots of patience LordOfSpoon to moderate a conspiracy forum I think, but I like the idea especially skewed towards the UFO side (though I have no idea if there's existing forums that serve this well, or FB groups etc.).
Couldn't agree more. I'm normally the person to stray away from political talks and what not. I never really get mad about someones point of view on politics or current events, but, of course there is always the occasional troll who can get under your skin.

I think a main topic genre would be UFOs and such. Using ATS as an example...again. They have so many forum categories that its overwhelming. Which cause you to wonder where to start a convo. Not considering there is very few active topics.

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find much in the way of message boards. Only website made by "Theorists" who are trying to peddle their new book or some literature they too found online.

I believe it would we a great way for me to get back into forum administration and give other with the same interests a place to communicate. Just a place to let people know, the truth is out there.... see what i did there lmao... :giggle:

Joel R

Fan
Couldn't agree more. I'm normally the person to stray away from political talks and what not. I never really get mad about someones point of view on politics or current events, but, of course there is always the occasional troll who can get under your skin.

I think a main topic genre would be UFOs and such. Using ATS as an example...again. They have so many forum categories that its overwhelming. Which cause you to wonder where to start a convo. Not considering there is very few active topics.

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find much in the way of message boards. Only website made by "Theorists" who are trying to peddle their new book or some literature they too found online.

I believe it would we a great way for me to get back into forum administration and give other with the same interests a place to communicate. Just a place to let people know, the truth is out there.... see what i did there lmao... :giggle:
Google has removed / de-emphasized conspiracy forums in their search engine, to prevent the spread of knowningly false information.

LordOfSpoon

Google has removed / de-emphasized conspiracy forums in their search engine, to prevent the spread of knowningly false information.
Sounds like a conspiracy... lol You're right. I just searched Duck Duck Go and bam...results... The forums all look like poopie and are greatly outdated IMO. But, if a forum can't gain exposure from Google than it might not be worth while. However. Even with a Google listing 99% of the battle to get members is field work, not simply putting a link up and hoping people will join that way. Also, I could even use the conspiracy term very lightly in hopes of beating Google web crawling for as long as possible lol Just to have to small amount of extra exposure. Could always cross advertise on other sites with like content and such.

So, it still might be a worth while endeavor. After all, its about the content quality. But yeah that does put a major damper on things :/

sbjsbj

Fan
People share their opinions a.k.a. conspiracy theories (specially political ones) day in day out on Twitter or Facebook.

There is also a subreddit with 1 million members, other related subreddits with thousands of members + unresolved mysteries with almost 1 million members.

What do you think the forum can offer that all 3 platforms cannot? Please don't say "no censorship" as there is no platform without censorship, it is impossible. You'll have to ban eventually people too one day.

You cannot rely on topics which solely are based on discussions because those discussions will happen on everywhere else other than on your board.

Good luck.

LordOfSpoon

People share their opinions a.k.a. conspiracy theories (specially political ones) day in day out on Twitter or Facebook.

There is also a subreddit with 1 million members, other related subreddits with thousands of members + unresolved mysteries with almost 1 million members.

What do you think the forum can offer that all 3 platforms cannot? Please don't say "no censorship" as there is no platform without censorship, it is impossible. You'll have to ban eventually people too one day.

You cannot rely on topics which solely are based on discussions because those discussions will happen on everywhere else other than on your board.

Good luck.
You have great points. Yeah, It might not be worth while after all. It's quite over played and even if I offered blogging, news, etc, It wouldn't be anything you couldn't find elsewhere... shame. I felt that I was close to get started anew. Back to the drawing board again.

sbjsbj

Fan
I really hate to be the grinch in these discussions. Like whenever someone has an idea about a forum, I basically say the same thing. Of course I wish everyone the best and I hope I am wrong and they become successful, but I believe a good friend should always be frank and tell how he feels.

So if you want to start on this project, you must put a plan together. Offering a place for discussion or blogging will not suffice at all. Today anybody can open a wordpress blog if they felt they need to say something. Or anybody can register on those 3 sites I mentioned and they will have a better chance to find an audience than on a forum.

So, the question is what else can you offer. If you had an archive of conspiracy theories and put that content on your site, then you would have a plan. Like even though those 3 sites offer the same thing, they don't have categories and all discussions are forgotten after a time. A forum is structured and if you could process your content in a good way so people can find stuff, you would offer something the other cannot.

Ingenious

Fan
I have to admit that if Google does demote conspiracy forums then that's a good reason not to bother.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but knowing Google might do this is making me paranoid 🛸