Thinking about moving from vBulletin to Discourse

baconfist

Neophyte
I am thinking about moving from vBulletin to Discourse as I feel as time has changed and how forums are utilized it was time to move to something that better integrates with other media. I am not under the illusion that this will jump start my forums, but other things like the Discord channel and Facebook group are very active. I feel that something encourage interest in the forums while also promoting our other media outlets will improve the synergy between them.

This is the theory at least and since there are so many talented people in the forums I would like to ask about the move and are Discourse forums more difficult to manage than other forums.

Looking forward to your feedback as I would like to get something done over the next 4-5 weeks. Much thanks!

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
I'd say consider wether your niche's target audience now browses more commonly from mobile than computers, and wether it did before. I noticed oldschool veterans that shouldve been more averse to mobile-first scripts tend to be ok with simplified interfaces as they age, so you might be fine as long as you retain the essentials.

pierce

Habitué
Discourse isn't for the faint hearted. Docker containers and full on sysadminning

baconfist

Neophyte
Is there a lot to do on the back end? We are taking it for a test drive tomorrow so any heads up would be appreciated. I admin the site from an organizational stand point and rely on others for the back end stuff. Is it complicated or constant or both (if that make sense from the lay person)

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Unless you really need to use Discourse (need or have already commissioned mods), you might want to give nodebb a try. It provides a similar experience but should be much easier to manage.