The watching 'vBulletin's market share nosedive' thread.

When will vB drop below 50% market share?

• Total voters

Digitalpoint

Brain
Ya, no clue what BuddyBoss even is... if it's a theme for something, then ya probably the BuddyBossTheme JavaScript object would be specific to the theme, if it's a platform where you can pick a theme, then maybe it's the JS that allows you to change themes. Personally, I don't really care all that much to sort it out (or what it is)... hah

Either way, that's how many unique sites the spider sees the "BuddyBossTheme" JavaScript object... what that actually means in the end, beats me. hah

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I see that you are tracking the BuddyBoss theme / style. Which is one of the styles that can be used for BuddyBoss. What you need is the BuddyBoss platform.
There are 64 million WordPress websites.
bbpress is a WordPress based forum application which has over 300k active installations.
BuddyPress is a fork of bbPress.

GamiPress-BuddyBoss integration has 3k active installs, according to WordPress.org
If an exotic addon for the forum software has 3k active installs, then the active installs for the forum software must be a lot higher.

I would expect that your spider would be able to find more.

What's odd about bbPress, wpForo and other WordPress based forums is outside of those I've been asked to migrate, I've never encountered one in the wild. While they may have a large number of installs, I wonder if the overwhelming majority are completely dead and/or empty forums.

Alpha1

Administrator
gConverter can you shed some light on WpForo? According to wordpress.org your forum software has 30k+ active installs.

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
What is hilarious to me is that vBulletin finally (after what, 7 or 8 years) just was able to get above 10% of their own installs on 5.x. Maybe after a decade, they can get 15% adoption.

Its actually almost 9 years (Sept 2012).
I still remember how it completely killed the MySQL server when we tried to upgrade vb.com.
Fun times !

Zelda

Enthusiast
Given the low number of installations and therefore sales I suspect vBulletin 5 may not survive for too long if and when CKEditor 4 goes EOL in a couple years. CKEditor 5 is a totally new design and my understanding is it'll take a huge amount of work to upgrade. In fact the developers have stated 'moving applications from CKEditor 4 to CKEditor 5 means migration rather than an upgrade'.
I am not a fan of CKEditor. I use v4 and v5. Neither impresses me. If I had the technical skills, I would swap out editors. If I thought I could reasonably pay someone to do the job and maintain it, I would seek to do so.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I am not a fan of CKEditor. I use v4 and v5. Neither impresses me. If I had the technical skills, I would swap out editors. If I thought I could reasonably pay someone to do the job and maintain it, I would seek to do so.
I've not seen enough of version 5 to really comment on it but it appears to offer some major improvements over version 4.

Zelda

Enthusiast
I've not seen enough of version 5 to really comment on it but it appears to offer some major improvements over version 4.
I completely bought into the hype surrounding version 5 of CKEditor. I loved how it "looked" more modern and how they sold it as being a near or complete re-write. But at the end of the day, it is still the same development by the same developers making the same mistakes.

v5 was released in 2018, which was 3 years ago, and the 3rd party plugin development is comparable to vBulletin 5. By that, I mean to say you will find many plugins for v4 https://ckeditor.com/cke4/addons/plugins/all (44 pages), but they took down the v5 plugin page https://ckeditor.com/cke5/addons/plugins/all <-- This now redirects to nothing. You can still find their essential (pre-approved) plugins that they occasionally work on, but they have not really gone anywhere. https://ckeditor.com/docs/ckeditor5/latest/api/essentials.html I am sure someone can point me to another 3rd party development somewhere (I'd be interested if anyone has any).

That said, beyond plugin extensions, I encounter just as much breakage for the user interface as I did with v4. Most notably, mobile web browsers breakage, which brings me to their release cycle, which I can not tolerate. CKEditor has the habit of not fixing things for months on end. By comparison, Redactor Editor (for example) will push out simple fixes sometimes within days. When theming a site around CKEditor, you have just as much of a chance of possibly breaking something too. Going back to the idea of mobile usage, honestly, pick your browser of choice (any browser), and tell me how quickly this loads vs. this (click the word "this" for both links). That was only the basic demo, nothing 'fancy,' and already you see the difference. Now imagine trying to extend that?

Both the backend and the front do not leave me feeling inspired. Do not get me wrong. It's an editor, and it works. I cannot say it is a complete failure (that would be dishonest). But as you said, you have not seen enough of v5 to comment. I'd ask, why do you suppose that is? There was once a time when CKEditor was virtually used everywhere. I believe those days are past us now.

Last edited:

Deimos

Devotee
Its actually almost 9 years (Sept 2012).
I still remember how it completely killed the MySQL server when we tried to upgrade vb.com.
Fun times !
I remember when someone pointed out that there were over 100? queries on the main forum page alone and one of the VB managers? said it was perfectly normal. ;)

zappaDPJ

Administrator
But as you said, you have not seen enough of v5 to comment. I'd ask, why do you suppose that is? There was once a time when CKEditor was virtually used everywhere. I believe those days are past us now.
Good point, well made :)

Digitalpoint

Brain
I remember when someone pointed out that there were over 100? queries on the main forum page alone and one of the VB managers? said it was perfectly normal. ;)
It wasn't a vB "managers", it was the CTO of Internet Brands. When the guy in charge of tech tells you query count doesn't matter, that was when I started migrating digitalpoint.com, because there's no fixing it when the guy as high as you can go in charge of tech (who gives direction to developers) is absolutely wrong about something to basic.

Joe Rosenblum - CTO said:
A lot of folks have mentioned the high query count on CMS; I think 'query count' is a misleading metric. The real question is: how long does it take to render the page?

The funny thing is Joe was really focused not on query count, but instead how long it took to render the page (which was 12 seconds... lol).

Peace out bitches, not my problem anymore... haha

HallofFamer

HabituƩ
Internet Brands is a terrible company, what else is new? But hey they did manage to achieve what they wanted in the very end, to drive VB to the ground and kill the product. After all, they have a very good reason to do this. Considering that IB's primary revenue was about buying automobile and some other types of online forums, it can be argued that the VB customers are effectively competitors for their main business. This explains why IB is such an anti-customer company, what do you expect from one who treats customers as competitors?