The watching 'vBulletin's market share nosedive' thread.

When will vB drop below 50% market share?

• Total voters

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
I purchased a vB5 license back when it came out, never ended up using it, and eventually ended up upgrading to XF instead.

rudedog

Jim
The lack of importers for vB5 is also a barrier to getting people to switch from their competitors.. That is if anyone really wanted too.

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
vB 5 that bad, huh?
Nope, its worse. ;)

1. The database design is horrible, and makes life difficult from the start.

2. The code is ... interesting.
It wasnt new - it started life as vb 4.1.4, and was just modified to become vb5.
Also, there were 10+ people working on it at one point, with much confusion & duplication.

It was so bad when first launced that the first upgrade of the vbulletin live forum was aborted, because it totally killed the sql server.

No existing vb3/4 style would work, nor would any existing vb3/4 products & modifications.
I was very glad to move to site support & vb.org support - and have as little to do with vB5 as possible

snerd

Aspirant
Thread made me remember when I got onto the Internet, back in '95! Man, the memories since then!! I think I had Eudora 2.0? So many great programs, most under 1 meg lol!! Prodigy at 9600 Baud haha! Where the hell has the time gone?!

DigNap15

Fan
Hell I used to own an office equipment business in the late 80/s 90s
Dos and CPM and batch files
Then a guy came in and ordered a modem.
I did not even know what they were!

feldon30

Adherent
Nope, its worse. ;)

1. The database design is horrible, and makes life difficult from the start.

2. The code is ... interesting.
When I saw vB5 pass a JSONBLOB in the URL to do a Get New Posts search, I knew there was something seriously hinky going on under the surface.

waterh20

Aspirant
This is a really cool digitalpoint resource. It looks like VBulletin is down to 16.7%

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 3.16.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 3.16.13 PM.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 21

DigNap15

Fan
Is the above graphic and figures total market share of forums in use
Or is it new sales only?

(I realise that the data is for commercial forums only)

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Is the above graphic and figures total market share of forums in use
Or is it new sales only?

(I realise that the data is for commercial forums only)

It's the relative market share for all installations returned by a cookie search.

Digitalpoint

Brain
It's the relative market share for all installations returned by a cookie search.

Kinda... recently went and revamped it all (mainly to give it a backend interface for managing stats/data points as well as making it simple to create new ones). Specifically, it no longer just based on cookies. It's able to key on JavaScript objects now as well (or both).

Under the new system/tech the commercial forum marketshare chart looks like this:

1622220185018.png

Coincidentally, XenForo just passed 50% marketshare of the 5 platforms on the chart.

What is hilarious to me is that vBulletin finally (after what, 7 or 8 years) just was able to get above 10% of their own installs on 5.x. Maybe after a decade, they can get 15% adoption.

1622220381996.png

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Can you put a rough install count number on those percentages since you have it?

What is hilarious to me is that vBulletin finally (after what, 7 or 8 years) just was able to get above 10% of their own installs on 5.x. Maybe after a decade, they can get 15% adoption.
No surprise. Even if vb5 became good and people were open to updating to it, the licencing structure would keep a lot of webmasters on the older major versions. Post-vb4 licencing only works if you release major versions after a short lifecycle of say 3 years - its ridiculous to keep a branch going for so long without substituting the terms with yearly renewals.

Woltlab ditched its original licencing model last year in favour of classic yearly renewals giving webmasters access to whatever versions are available while theyre active during the next 12 months, so it should accelerate adoption of the latest Woltlab releases instead of fracturing installs.

DigNap15

Fan
Great charts!
What's interesting to me is that in the top chart Xenforo is the only software that is growing. The rest seem to be stalled.
Luckily I'm on XF

Digitalpoint

Brain
Great charts!
What's interesting to me is that in the top chart Xenforo is the only software that is growing. The rest seem to be stalled.
Luckily I'm on XF
Seems like IPB is growing a little too. Like XF went flat for a couple years, then it grew. Now IPB went flat and XF is growing. Maybe timing has something to do with major new releases or something and people waiting for the next big release? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Alpha1

Administrator
BuddyBoss claims that 50k businesses use their commercial forum software. Please consider to include this to the cookie tracker.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
Great charts!
Luckily I'm on XF
I think it's because a lot of the vB forums changed to XF.

Digitalpoint

Brain
BuddyBoss claims that 50k businesses use their commercial forum software. Please consider to include this to the cookie tracker.
Doubtful that a plugin that creates a forum within WordPress (and charges more than $200/year) has 50,000 installs (they are making $10M/year on it?). My search engine puts it at 2,044 (which is way more than I would have thought). Honestly, not even sure it's worth including... it's a plugin, not it's own platform and also runs on WordPress (haha gross).

1622308335464.png

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Can you put a rough install count number on those percentages since you have it?

I recall a decade or so ago vBulletin claimed to have somewhere in the region of 120,000 installations. That's the one and only time I've seen an actual figure put forward.

It would be interesting to see numbers representing the current situation but then again publishing them could also be viewed as rather contentious.

Digitalpoint

Brain
I recall a decade or so ago vBulletin claimed to have somewhere in the region of 120,000 installations. That's the one and only time I've seen an actual figure put forward.

It would be interesting to see numbers representing the current situation but then again publishing them could also be viewed as rather contentious.
Ya, not really trying to go down the road of publishing specific numbers. There's no *real* way to know outside of the organizations. For example, I have a valid license for vBulletin 3/4, but it's not in use. So that probably counts as an "installation" to them since I paid for it, but it's not in use anywhere, so spider wouldn't see it. I'd guess vBulletin has a high number of sold but unused/dormant licenses that the spider wouldn't see.

It's definitely not intended to be something that could extrapolate sales/valid licenses.

Alpha1

Administrator
Doubtful that a plugin that creates a forum within WordPress (and charges more than $200/year) has 50,000 installs (they are making $10M/year on it?). My search engine puts it at 2,044 (which is way more than I would have thought). Honestly, not even sure it's worth including... it's a plugin, not it's own platform and also runs on WordPress (haha gross).
I see that you are tracking the BuddyBoss theme / style. Which is one of the styles that can be used for BuddyBoss. What you need is the BuddyBoss platform.
There are 64 million WordPress websites.
bbpress is a WordPress based forum application which has over 300k active installations.
BuddyPress is a fork of bbPress.

GamiPress-BuddyBoss integration has 3k active installs, according to WordPress.org
If an exotic addon for the forum software has 3k active installs, then the active installs for the forum software must be a lot higher.

I would expect that your spider would be able to find more.