The watching 'vBulletin's market share nosedive' thread.

When will vB drop below 50% market share?

• Total voters

we_are_borg

Administrator
A quick halloween update.

View attachment 49290

Reported changes since april 2017:
IPB: +1.31%
XF: +0.33%
vB: -2.28%
Woltlab: +0.65%

Given this chart specifically tracks installations of commercial software, I wonder if the variation results from the pool of forums running commercial scripts shrinking (small and old boards dying or switching to free software to whom migration is not tracked).
The pool only got smaller by 0.1% thats expected it could be a few things people stopped with their site, they switched to software not tracked or its because of a rounding error in the ststem it self or everything combined what i said.

Digitalpoint

Brain
I know it's only indirectly relevant, but I thought I would mention it here since you guys watch the numbers way closer than I do...

Just rolled out a completely rewritten spidering engine. Modernized it (supports things like SPDY, HTTP/2, ServiceWorkers, etc.) Basically brought the spider into the modern age. It's also self-throttling (you just tell it how many Mbit/sec you want it to consume and it will speed up or slow down in realtime as needed).

It's also running on a XenForo 2 framework now as well.

Will keep my eyes on it over the weekend to see if anything unexpected comes up, but if anyone notices anything weird happening starting today, the new spider might have something going on, so let me know.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Since you're fiddling with the code, would it be possible to add add a couple software as a migration destination for forums formerly running commercial scripts in particular (mybb, phpbb, maybe smf)? The current chart suggests the most popular escape plan for ex-vb users is switching to XF, but I wonder if they're not instead massively flocking to free scripts.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Tracks isnt limited to licenced installs, so migrations would include forums whose activity doesnt justify the upkeep cost as well as improperly licenced websites. It'd be interesting to see if the numbers from DP's spider support the argument free forum scripts have finally become good enough options users of paid software ditch it for.

Digitalpoint

Brain
Since you're fiddling with the code, would it be possible to add add a couple software as a migration destination for forums formerly running commercial scripts in particular (mybb, phpbb, maybe smf)? The current chart suggests the most popular escape plan for ex-vb users is switching to XF, but I wonder if they're not instead massively flocking to free scripts.
Well really wouldn’t have anything to do with the new/old spider. The necessary data would already be there. The new spider is just the first part to a lot of changes. I’ll see about maybe (no promises) incorporating that metric on the new front-end that I’m working on.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
A quick update.

Previous stats

Marketshare as of April 2018
forumsmarketshare.png

Changes since October 2017:
vBulletin: -1,35%
XF: -0,39%
IPB: +1,49%
Woltlab: +0,24%

Alfa1

Administrator
This trend will likely continue until XF2.1 is out (and if its a waterfall feature release) By that time IPS and XF will have a similar marketshare.

we_are_borg

Administrator
This trend will likely continue until XF2.1 is out (and if its a waterfall feature release) By that time IPS and XF will have a similar marketshare.
I think it will take longer like it did with IPS. Don't forget that IPS is doing a good job making it better and better. For XF its going to be hard to surpass this also they don't have something like IP.Pages, IP.Blogs and IP.Commerce. You need external add-ons for XF to get this and it makes running XF expensive.

R0binHood

Habitué
Looks like XF 2.0 is nearly at 10% of all XF installs.

It's a shame there's no way to see the different 4.x versions of IPS

mysiteguy

Devotee
I think it will take longer like it did with IPS. Don't forget that IPS is doing a good job making it better and better. For XF its going to be hard to surpass this also they don't have something like IP.Pages, IP.Blogs and IP.Commerce. You need external add-ons for XF to get this and it makes running XF expensive.
More expensive is not so.

XF's base license is cheaper, as are their add-ons. And the external add-ons to cover the functionality XF's add-ons do not have cost less than IPS's in house add-ons.

Add IP.Pages, IP.Blogs and IP.Commerce to IPS and added $275 to the cost, bringing the total to $475. Throw in IP.Gallery and IP.Downloads and the grand total is $625. Plus their license renewal fees are every 6 months rather than XF's annual renewal.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
A quick update.
Are those stats 'same-for-same sites' stats, meaning that (to paraphrase) "The last update was for these 100 sites and this is the current stats for the same 100 sites" or are those stats only as of the moment meaning "Right now there are X number of sites and this is the current stats for them and comparing them to prior stats isn't really comparable because there might have been a smaller or larger number of Y sites in the sample last time"?

we_are_borg

Administrator
More expensive is not so.

XF's base license is cheaper, as are their add-ons. And the external add-ons to cover the functionality XF's add-ons do not have cost less than IPS's in house add-ons.

Add IP.Pages, IP.Blogs and IP.Commerce to IPS and added $275 to the cost, bringing the total to $475. Throw in IP.Gallery and IP.Downloads and the grand total is $625. Plus their license renewal fees are every 6 months rather than XF's annual renewal.
The only way you get the same function as all official IPS stuff is by buying Xenforo, XFRM and XFMG for 260 dollars. If you want Blogs and CMS then you need to buy the best that is another 120 dollars thats 380 dollars. With a renewal of 70 dollars for XF and 90 dollars for external addons you pay 160 dollars a year and you do not have a commerce solution. IPS is 210 for a year (105 for 6 months) including commerce or excluding commerce 140 for a year (70 for 6 months) so excluding commerce IPS renewal is cheaper but higher in first buy. Now you’ll need to think do i want everything by one company or do i want to buy from two. The renewal is cheaper, if you look at forum, downloads and gallery you pay 90 a year (45 for 6 months) at XF its 70 a year so its not that much of a difference.

Alfa1

Administrator
Thats a lot cheaper than what I spend on the same for XF. Not counting the endless costs to my site because a lot of third party addons will never work right and will keep incurring hosting / support costs.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Are those stats 'same-for-same sites' stats, meaning that (to paraphrase) "The last update was for these 100 sites and this is the current stats for the same 100 sites" or are those stats only as of the moment meaning "Right now there are X number of sites and this is the current stats for them and comparing them to prior stats isn't really comparable because there might have been a smaller or larger number of Y sites in the sample last time"?
The tracked pool is large enough variations over time dont skew the numbers significantly.
The exact count of forums running paid software isnt specified, but I'd estimate its at least 200k and close to 300k.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
The tracked pool is large enough variations over time dont skew the numbers significantly.
The exact count of forums running paid software isnt specified, but I'd estimate its at least 200k and close to 300k.
If the counts aren't specified then how do you know that the variations aren't large enough to skew the numbers between the datesets? :cautious:

mysiteguy

Devotee
Thats a lot cheaper than what I spend on the same for XF. Not counting the endless costs to my site because a lot of third party addons will never work right and will keep incurring hosting / support costs.
Which shop, blog and pages add-ons were you using in XF?

Alfa1

Administrator
Bobs addons are amazing and worth every penny.
Which shop, blog and pages add-ons were you using in XF?
I needed custom addons and paid addons for many things which are included in IPS. Groups, Audio, Documents, Articles, Blog, Reputation, Chat, Advanced Search, Tickets, API, Spam, Widgets, and many little things. I run 95 addons so far. There currently is no online shop for XF.