The ‘Oops’ Message

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I was coming here to ask for help figuring out why our members on our Xenforo 2.1 site are getting a repeated error message when doing routine tasks. Members frequently see an ‘Oops! We ran into a problem’ or similar message when trying to visit the site, post replies, start threads, etc...

Ironically, I got the message several times when visiting TAZ just now. I have read that the error messages can be linked to ‘ModSecurty’ being enabled on one’s server - but we do not have it enabled. I was told to check with Sucuri (we have a firewall account with them) and they had me make a setting change but that did not resolve the issue. We have been getting these messages pretty much since migrating from vBulletin to Xenforo several months ago.

Very annoying for our members.If anyone has had this same issue and knows possible fixes I would love to hear about it (TAZ seems to be experiencing it).

tonmo

Aspirant
There is a good add-on offered by XF2addons (at least I think it's good; I requested it, and he built it): brokenlinks. XF doesn't render 404 errors in your server's error logs -- i.e., although the "oops" page will often correspond with a server error in admincp, it doesn't always, and it can mask 404s.

I imagine you're not looking to spend money on this issue, but I'll say this guy has a LOT of useful add-ons; reasonable pricing to access all that, and he takes requests, as evidenced here. I am not affiliated -- and also, this may or may not help your specific issue... but it came to mind when reading about your problem.

For me, it helped me isolate a trailing slash issue I was having on my nginx configuration. You could experiment with your internal links, test whether your threads work with and without a trailing slash. For example, if you remove the slash at the end of this TAZ thread, it should automatically append it when rendering. https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/the-oops-message.152884

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I use a bunch of Andy’s mods and agree he has a lot of simple functional ones. I guess I am most puzzled with this issue because a) we had this problem right out of the box with the latest version of Xenforo (and still on current version) and b) this is occurring with routine tasks, not anything complex.

I’m self taught with webmasteing so I’m not sure I could do my own detective work here even if I installed that add on but may try it just to see what results I get.

Thanks for the thoughts.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I get this very occasionally on one of my forums running SMF. If I recall correctly on at least one occasion it was caused by an update to ModSecurity which left us with some rather aggressive rules.

I'd also check if there's an ad-blocker in use, they can cause similar problems.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
What is ‘SMF’? Neither our server host nor Sucuri are using ModSecurity so that’s not the culprit. Hadn’t thought of an Ad blocker... will investigate that.

I am getting the same ‘Oops’ error here on TAZ, at least on my phone. Are others experiencing that?

BGObsession

Enthusiast
We have disabled a few advanced security options in our Sucuri firewall set up and (so far, breath held) it seems to have eliminated the issue...

TLChris

Administrator
I haven't seen it here on TAZ...can you just let me know what you are doing - so I can try to track down or replicate the issue?

BGObsession

Enthusiast
Hi Chris,
I’ve seen it here a number of times popping up as soon as I visited the site (and sometimes when I went to reply). As mentioned above, on my site it seems to have been nearly entirely due to Sucuri advanced security settings. It could be something on my end in terms of TAZ. No idea if anyone else is getting these messages here.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I am getting the ‘Oops!’ Error message occasionally today, but ONLY in one circumstance. Using my phone, when I navigate to my site via the icon I have set, I will get the error. I am wondering if I’m getting it because there is an instance of the site already open in Safari in the background which has probably ‘timed out’ due to inactivity?

I suppose I can test this by closing any previously open windows prior to navigating to the site via that icon? This could also be why I am getting the oops error even when navigating to TAZ at times...

TLChris

Administrator
Is it possible you are using an old url in the favorite? If so, let me know the url, so I can setup a redirect.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I know I am obsessing about this :) I’m not sure what URL my TAZ icon is set for because I get the error message and my iPhone isn’t allowing me to access the url (I am almost certain it is set to ‘https://www.theadminzone.com’ however).

Weird thing is though, when I navigate to TAZ and get the oops error, I can see my avatar (indicating I’m logged in, but if I try and go to settings or other sections, I get a message that I am not logged in.

01C5A1B9-1611-44AA-92D7-781C97D54F26.png01C5A1B9-1611-44AA-92D7-781C97D54F26.png

TLChris

Administrator
If the shortcut was created before Jan 1st of this year, I would try creating a new one and see if you get the same results.
I have a feeling you might have it set to an older url.