The New Member, Your Most Important Asset

needvert

Senior? Sounds Old ;)
needvert submitted a new Article:

The New Member, Your Most Important Asset

New Members, Your Most Important Asset
-Attempt by Needvert

New members are your most important asset. They are what make your forum a community, and are the future members that keep it going. If you perceive yourself as the most important person on your forum, you have one nice empty forum my friend. Emphasize to yourself, and to your staff members, that new members are your most important asset.

You must recognize that, THEY took interest in your community, and THEY bothered to register. What that means is that they noticed your forum, they liked it, they wanted to be a part of it. Treat them as such!

Accommodating New Members

You need to take steps to ensure that your new member will come back, and give something to the community.

1. The Introduction Section- Get one. Although it may seem repetitive, a lot of times this really breaks the ice.

The art to welcoming a member is to make your welcome message original. Look at their post, and reply with a personal comment. The new member will notice, and will feel more comfortable on your board.

2. Newbie Section- If your topic is specialized such that a newbie section would be a good idea, then create one. This will help by allowing newbies to ask questions without being shunned. Make sure that this is an absolutely no flame zone.

3. Meeting Other Members- Tell your staff, as well as seasoned members that you would appreciate if they welcomed new members, and treated them well.

4. Showing them Around- Asking them if they need help finding anything is a good idea too!

Saying "Use The Search Button" may help you lose members.

Even if your community is small, if you treat your new members like humans, and recognize that they ARE your community, you will succeed. People will come to your forum, and be happy. We will all sing and dance for you. Without members, your forum is a waste of cyber-space. So treat members well, and your community will feel like a community.

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

harmor

Enthusiast
You're articles would be better if you didn't try to be funny.

This part was not funny. IMO it ruined it.
IF YOU TELL NEW MEMBERS TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON:

1. I will find you, and beat your arse.. (assuming you are smaller then me)
2. I will hire someone bigger then you to whoop your arse.
3. Members will realize you dont care, and go somewhere friendlier.

PalePhoenix

Prince of Dorkness
Certainly, this article could have benefitted from using the Search feature to find supporting information for the opinions it espouses. And a bloody spellcheck. It's an article, ferpetesake. You're supposed to be an authority, not an insouciant wiseacre.

The only choice--on TAZ, at least--for NOT alluding to the fact that umpteen other threads, even currently active ones, answer the question an individual may have posed, is to not reply to that thread at all. I think we've got plenty of that, don't you? I've repeated myself endlessly, linked simple search results, and never thought about it twice because, yes, senior members should welcome the new. However, joining a forum is not like being "beat in" to a gang. People are so afraid of looking silly, but the one simple thing that could have avoided it is totally ignored. When someone you've never seen before asks something you've heard fifty times, that's one thing.

But it's another when you're basically standing next to a sign that reads "CLICK HERE FOR ANSWERS," and they ask you anyway, perhaps it isn't patience but the suspicion your answer isn't going to be understood.

needvert

Senior? Sounds Old ;)
thanks for the support:bouncy:

ill get over it.

yeah, im sorry about the spell-check, that was totally my mistake. i was doing this yesterday very late in the night. i should have run the spell-check but it slipped my mind.

i edited my article to accommodate everyone, i geuss writing articles isnt for me.

Last edited:

PalePhoenix

Prince of Dorkness
needvert said:
yeah, im sorry about the spell-check, that was totally my mistake. i was doing this yesterday very late in the night. i should have run the spell-check but it slipped my mind.

i edited my article to accommodate everyone, i geuss writing articles isnt for me.
Practice makes perfect, NV. Proper spelling and grammar don't exist solely to accommodate me, you know. These "articles" are ostensibly meant for a far wider readership than just the TAZ Community, and any writer should take that into account when producing them. They should be clear, authoritative, and while a sense of humor definitely makes reading them a little easier, that sense should be a lot less self-deprecating and self-referential. Writing an article isn't about you, even if it's about your experiences; it's not a blog entry. It's basically a "charitable donation" to the success and continued well-being of complete strangers.

I might take exception to why these articles aren't being edited FOR you, before they are "published," but that is another matter entirely. Since this form of content reflects on the general knowledge of the TAZ roster (you are being held up as an example of the kind of information to be found here), and theoretically exists to encourage people to look into our forums and join them, more care should be taken in their selection and finishing.

Adherent
I read your article, quickly went back to my site and welcomed my members. This is so true, they bothered to register.
One question I have about the term active members, what does it mean? I have several registered members, and not all of them are active. Also they don't post.
My little ghost town.

needvert

Senior? Sounds Old ;)
active members would be people that visit regularly (whatever that means :)), and post regularly (again, its all relative). do you have a url to your site?

Adherent
Thanks for the explanation. I wonder how often they visit then to be concidered active?
No, I don't have url.

needvert

Senior? Sounds Old ;)
it depends on how active your forum is, for example, some of my members visit 5+ times a day.

you dont have a web address?