The Invisible 8 Year Website

BGObsession

Enthusiast
Bear with my lengthy post. I'll bullet point my dilemma.

1. I own/run a vB messageboard community at www.bgobsession.com for fans of the Washington Redskins. 'BGO' as we refer to it stands for 'A Burgundy and Gold Obsession'. We've been open since 2009. Our site description is 'The most intelligent community of Washington Redskins fans on the web'.

2. When we first opened, we had a large influx of new member registrations. There were several large well-known Redskins forums that either moderated with an extremely heavy hand, or attracted lots of trolls. The idea of a more civil, reasonable board appealed to quite a few folks. We quickly gained 500+ members. Since those early days, registrations have slowed to almost zero (unless you count spammer accounts which we quickly remove). We have 800 members but less than 100 of them or so are active.

3. It is difficult to find us on search engines. I think not having 'Redskins' or 'Skins' in our site title/url probably contributes to this issue. We also updated to an SSL certificate, and although we had SEO enabled, when our product had security issues, we switched to DB Tech's SEO, but had to disable it as it caused all kinds of site navigation issues. Unless you search 'Burgundy and Gold Obsession' on Google or other search engines, you will not find us. Redskins Forums that have been started even just in the last year or two are far more 'findable' than we are.

4. I am a self-taught webmaster, but have never taken the time (nor do I have the time or desire) to learn how to optimize search engine optimization. We have a Google Webmaster account but most of what I read there is greek to me.

5. We do have active pages for our site on Twitter and Google and are using some of the auto-posting options/apps to keep those pages fresh. I have also tried Twitter and Facebook ads, but this has never resulted in new registrations.

6. I firmly believe we have one of the best Redskins fan forums out there. We have a ton of features that should be attracting lots of members: contests, member-written blogs, a media guide library, arcade, game chats, weekly newsletter, lots of great stuff. And yet my site is stagnant as hell from a new member registration standpoint. I have come to the conclusion that fans looking for a forum to join simply don't know we are out there and can't find us via search engines. We are willing to spend money, but can't afford a major marketing campaign.

I'm wondering if anyone here is an SEO genius or would be willing, for reasonable compensation, to fix whatever our issues might be. I would even be willing to make this an ongoing relationship. I know I should be able to and could get to a better place just by diving in and educating myself. I simply don't have the time. I literally run my site by myself. We have a few staff members, but they do not contribute in a significant way. It's on me. And in this aspect of managing my site, I am woefully inadequate.

Yappi

Enthusiast
One thing I would change immediately is your game thread here:

https://www.bgobsession.com/showthread.php?t=114300

Why so little activity? As the owner of your site, you should have made 50 posts of your own in that thread. I do game update threads for HS football games. If I am at the game, I post every possession updates. Basically, score, punt, or turnover. If I am at home, I update every play after a 1st down series.

An example would be:
Redskins ball at their 30.

1-run 4 yards.
2-pass incomplete
3-pass 14 yards

First down

Next post would start with:
Redskins ball at their 48.

When I do this, depending on the game, I usually get others to throw in their color commentary. If you can't do it for a game because your are too in to the game, hire someone to do it.

This will keep people on your forum longer during the games. It also should attract others looking for a place to discuss the game. Unfortunately, it's tough to pull people off of Twitter but it should be your long term goal to engage as many users as possible and this is the easiest method.

I see that you use a chatroom for something similar. Personally, I think chatrooms do nothing for sports forums. You need people engaged on the forum and comfortable posting.

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
For better or worse, if you want good search results for a certain term you really need to have that term or the gist of it, in your URL and site name. Otherwise you're always going to be fighting the relevancy algorithm.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
One thing I would change immediately is your game thread here:

https://www.bgobsession.com/showthread.php?t=114300

Why so little activity? As the owner of your site, you should have made 50 posts of your own in that thread. I do game update threads for HS football games. If I am at the game, I post every possession updates. Basically, score, punt, or turnover. If I am at home, I update every play after a 1st down series.

An example would be:
Redskins ball at their 30.

1-run 4 yards.
2-pass incomplete
3-pass 14 yards

First down

Next post would start with:
Redskins ball at their 48.

When I do this, depending on the game, I usually get others to throw in their color commentary. If you can't do it for a game because your are too in to the game, hire someone to do it.

This will keep people on your forum longer during the games. It also should attract others looking for a place to discuss the game. Unfortunately, it's tough to pull people off of Twitter but it should be your long term goal to engage as many users as possible and this is the easiest method.

I see that you use a chatroom for something similar. Personally, I think chatrooms do nothing for sports forums. You need people engaged on the forum and comfortable posting.

I appreciate the reply. Actually, our live Game Day Chat is one of our most popular features and pulls in a large crowd. The reason the 'Game Day Thread' has languished is because there's little point in typing out game updates when many members are conversing in real time in our chatrooms. Truthfully, foregoing a Game Day thread entirely probably makes sense.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
For better or worse, if you want good search results for a certain term you really need to have that term or the gist of it, in your URL and site name. Otherwise you're always going to be fighting the relevancy algorithm.

When you say 'you really need to have that term ....in your site name' , what exactly do you mean? In terms of search engine results, where do Google, Bing, and other engines pull from when it comes to a site name? I know that sounds like a dumb question - but is it pulling from our vBulletin admin cp info 'Site Name' or from some other source?

Currently, our 'Site Name' there (and probably every other place it's listed) is 'BGObsession.com'. Is there a downside to a long site name? Could we make it 'BGObsession.com - Home of the Most Intelligent Community of Washington Redskins Fans on the Web' for example?

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
When you say 'you really need to have that term ....in your site name' , what exactly do you mean? In terms of search engine results, where do Google, Bing, and other engines pull from when it comes to a site name? I know that sounds like a dumb question - but is it pulling from our vBulletin admin cp info 'Site Name' or from some other source?

Currently, our 'Site Name' there (and probably every other place it's listed) is 'BGObsession.com'. Is there a downside to a long site name? Could we make it 'BGObsession.com - Home of the Most Intelligent Community of Washington Redskins Fans on the Web' for example?
Mine is: dallascowboysuniverse.com - Powered by Dallas Cowboys Fans.

For example.

Then the first forum is titled, "Dallas Cowboys Forum."

I go to your site and honestly, there's nothing there to engage me. You have a splash page that really hasn't got any relevancy for search engines, for the terms you desire. Then I click on "Forum" and I see nothing there that says, "Washington Redskins Forum." If I am a human and confused by this, imagine the SEO?

IMO drop the splash page and have anyone visiting your URL land on the forum.php page, then rename your main topical forum for the team.

Last edited:

BGObsession

Enthusiast
Mine is: dallascowboysuniverse.com - Powered by Dallas Cowboys Fans.

For example.

Then the first forum is titled, "Dallas Cowboys Forum."

I go to your site and honestly, there's nothing there to engage me. You have a splash page that really hasn't got any relevancy for search engines, for the terms you desire. Then I click on "Forum" and I see nothing there that says, "Washington Redskins Forum." If I am a human and confused by this, imagine the SEO?

IMO drop the splash page and have anyone visiting your URL land on the forum.php page, then rename your main topical forum for the team.

I asked for help and feedback, so not averse to it. Not sure why you say the 'splash page' has nothing to engage? There are team announcements, blog teasers, article snippets, feature links, all kinds of things that would engage a Redskins fan there. The generic forum page (on any forum) tends to be the dullest part of the site. I guess I just see it differently :)

I certainly understand your suggestion based on SEO. I have changed the site name that shows on both the Forums and the 'splash page' to include the term 'Washington Redskins'.

Other suggestions welcomed!

Last edited:

Yappi

Enthusiast
Personally, I think you have it backwards. The gameday chat takes away from your forum, not add to it. I tried to login to your chat and it gave me this:
"Please login to use our chatrooms."

Why would I register to do that? I have no idea what is in there and don't really have much reason to join.

Take a look at this game day thread at a Rams Forum:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-at-49ers.51210/
Replies: 1,276
Views: 21,739

I'm not registered on that site and I can read every post in that thread. If I'm a Rams fan, I can come there every game day and watch what people post. If I'm inclined, I can join the site and post with everyone. That was in one day. They also have live in game threads for other NFL games that routinely get 100+ replies.

Just from personal experience, game threads are probably the most valuable content that I have. People come to those threads to get updates of the games when they are happening and they are great to go back and read through to re-live the game after it is over.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
The chat software is restricted to Registered members - but I could certainly change that. What I meant was, it's our most popular feature for existing members - but you make a good point since my questions were regarding attracting new members.

The truth is, when you have a great chatroom, it's 1000x more enjoyable than a game thread - it just IS. In reality, a running game day chat is nothing more than a game day thread at hyperspeed. Same thing.

If I were to open up our game day chats to non-registered users, seems like it would have the same effect as a game day thread that anyone can read? I really think the larger problem we have though isn't once someone gets to the site. When we do have new members, they generally stay and become active. We just don't get new many new members - and I think it's largely because they can't find us.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I ended up changing the Forums, Splash Page, and CMS name to 'BGObsession - A Washington Redskins Fan Community'. That was a great suggestion - appreciate it.

TheBossMan

Neophyte
The site looks good. As far as SEO goes, keywords are a big deal. Participating in other discussion forums and sharing the URL can help increase your ranking.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I discovered yesterday that awhile back prior to implementing a Sucuri Firewall that our host had put code on our server blocking all bots. So obviously that had an impact. We've corrected that, made some changes to our site name and metadata, and also switched to Advanced Friendly URLs in the Admin CP. I also turned on the auto-quote of thread titles which supposedly helps with volume of key words. I ensured all 4 versions of our site are listed as Google Console properties (with and without 'www' and with and without SSL) and submitted sitemaps and tested robots.txt files. Hoping these changes will have a positive effect. Any other ideas are welcomed and I appreciate the feedback so far!

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I appreciate all of the suggestions. We have already moved to page 2 on Google and Bing/Yahoo just with making some corrections and following some of the advice above. Biggest issue currently is that there seem to be a lot of crawl errors... will have to investigate why so many of our urls cannot seem to be indexed?

BGObsession

Enthusiast
So...just to demonstrate the value and power of TAZ :)

Followed the advice (and some 'tough love') in this thread. My site is now the #5 Google entry (and on page 1 of Bing and Yahoo search results) when searching 'Redskins forums'. Going from nearly unfindable to that position is pretty incredible. I really appreciate the advice and insight here that sparked that move. Awesome!

Last edited:

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
So...just to demonstrate the value and power of TAZ :)

Followed the advice (and some 'tough love') in this thread. My site is now the #5 Google entry (and on page 1 of Bing and Yahoo search results) when searching 'Redskins forums'. Going from nearly unfindable to that position is pretty incredible. I really appreciate the advice and insight here that sparked that move. Awesome!
And to think, in this thread a dude with a Cowboys board helped a dude with a Redskins board. The world can safely end now. :D

BGObsession

Enthusiast
And don't think I didn't notice it :) Cats and dogs...living together...

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I keep waiting for Wentz to come crashing back down to Earth, but hasn't happened so far. I'm not ready to annoint them, but they have to feel pretty good sitting at 9-1. Still have to think the Skins and Cowboys will challenge...