The Dream Forum

Zerce

Enthusiast
Zerce submitted a new Article:

The Dream Forum

The Dream Forum

--------------------------------------
[RED][HIGHLIGHT]Warning[/HIGHLIGHT][/RED]
Please be aware that this article was written as "fiction". Some of the things discussed here are not real, and there really is no "Dream Forum", as described in the article. Most of the things mentioned here will never happen, so don't get excited.
Moving on...
--------------------------------------

What is the "Dream Forum"?
Can you imagine a perfect forum software? How would it be? What would it need? Just the other day I was thinking about this. First of all, I thought about the developers. Obviously a good product must also have a good team of developers. So I wondered, what happens if the top comptetitors joined together to create, wihtout a doubt, the best forum software. First of all I thought about Kier Darby (lead vBulletin developer), Matt mecham (lead IPB developer), and Meik Sievertsen (lead phpBB developer). Can you imagine the product they could create? Out of all the words there are to describe it, I'll mention one and actually spell it: A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

Obviously there really is no "perfect" forum. Some people would prefer one software over another, others want something very simple and lightweight, and others just want super extravagantly insane feature-rich software. That's up to the owner and how it would benefit his/her board. I can prove that... everyone knows that vBulletin and IPB are both feature-rich applications, but does everyone use them? You can see boards powered by punBB and even by Vanilla (both simple softwares). You might be thinking, maybe people don't use them because they're not free. Ok then, what about SMF? Without a doubt SMF has more features than other softwares but people still use the other ones, this is a matter of simplicity.

So do you get the idea? The top competitors working as a team. Let's make a list of other top competitors working together, that will somewhat be similar to what I'm explaining
  • Sam's Club and Costco Wholesale to open store together.
  • Google and Yahoo to make search engine together.
  • Microsoft and Apple to create an OS.
  • Opera and Mozilla to make a web browser.

Obviously I don't think these companies would ever work together, but if they did, can you imagine the results? Once again, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
So...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisaka

Neophyte
Could be a cool concept, but I don't know if the results would be what you expect. Different developers and companies have very different strategies, and it would be hard to get them to mesh. You'd also most likely run into ego problems among people involved, as everyone has their own idea what's right.

They might even get lazy if they collaborated. A big part of development and new features is the need to evolve or be eaten. Competition keeps technology going.

Finally, I never, ever, ever want Microsoft to get their grubby code anywhere near the beauty that is OSX :)

Chris

Gabriel

Carboyht
I was thinking maybe a different Category->Forum->SubForum->Topic system. Honestly I can't think of anything right now but something different would be better. The best thing I could think off is instead of make it how I mentioned before, make it like this: Folder->SubFolder->File with Folder representing the category, SubFolder a Forum, and File a Topic. I know is not as unique but it's something.

Do you have an Instant Messenger? I'll contact you back about this and with some of my concepts generated through mind and research.

ronoxQ

Eye In The Sky
The big problem with this, I think, is this: assuming that phpBB OR vBulletin are the best forums out there is ridiculous. Forum software is VERY limited right now: and following what they're doing right now just doesn't make sense.

However, I did have one idea:

I was thinking maybe a different Category->Forum->SubForum->Topic system. Honestly I can't think of anything right now but something different would be better. The best thing I could think off is instead of make it how I mentioned before, make it like this: Folder->SubFolder->File with Folder representing the category, SubFolder a Forum, and File a Topic. I know is not as unique but it's something.

Rather than using categories at all, why not use tags? Every thread is tagged with keywords, and then sorted by a preset algorithm to create "categories."

JoshB

TalkSTAR
Great Article, whilst I don't think it is possible for most reason's mentioned above, you raise some great points.

Note to author: Link to AJAX wiki entry at the bottom is broken, the final ")" should be linkificated;

Josh.

Zerce

Enthusiast
Great Article, whilst I don't think it is possible for most reason's mentioned above, you raise some great points.

Note to author: Link to AJAX wiki entry at the bottom is broken, the final ")" should be linkificated;

Josh.
thanks

about the ) that's weird I did put it in the link.. I don't know why vB parsed it outside it.

hiphopave.net

Participant
A fun read, but I think large firms merging wwould just create more monopolistic competition

GLU

Neophyte
Its a nice article:) Im not sure whether it will be amazing when they really merged or not. But I still like to see more different things appear in this world. :p
Difference can keep competition .:kathy: