The Community Project

DarkGenesis

Aspirant
Hello everyone,

I've paused another project I have going on due to a friend having real life overtake him and consume a majority of his time in the short-term so I wanted to work on another thing I was passionate about. I call it The Community Project loosely because the aim is to found and encourage people to watch, read, listen, etc to various forms of entertainment as a group and discuss as they go. The few individual threads and 'projects' I have started on other communities have been a success and I was hoping to expand it into something of a whole site/community. I've started a roughshod outline of what I mean on Jcink (yes, I know free software boo); but, I wanted to outline it on a free software where I could figure out how I wanted things to work, expand on, etc.

Here's what it currently looks like: https://thecommunityproject.jcink.net

WHAT IS THE COMMUNITY PROJECT?
The Community Project came about as an idea when I noticed that people would express interest in wanting to participate in a group watch or read event and want to discuss as they go. I took that concept and decided to expand on it to make it into something where you could watch, read or listen to anything. You get a few people together who express interest in participating in the event, you request a section and off you go!

The beauty of the idea is that it not only encourages activity in your community; but, it also serves to open people to new forms of entertainment they might have otherwise ignored while presenting them a community to discuss and debate the various aspects of it with. It can be as extensive or as basic as someone wants it to be. It's proven to be really on this other community I'm hosting a show re-watch on and the community really enjoyed it. You can also break it down into an episode(s), chapter(s) or segment basis that allows people to follow on at their own pace while not having to worry about being overwhelmed.

I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in participating to help me get it off the ground or has some feedback or suggestions of their own to help this become something to really enjoy.

Thanks!

Taylor J

Fan
This actually seems very intriguing. It's like a book club but for anything and everything and I've always been interested in watching/reading/listening to something and then discussing it with others as they do the same.

I'm at work right now so can't type to much more but I'll have to definitely come back and leave a detailed response.

DarkGenesis

Aspirant
This actually seems very intriguing. It's like a book club but for anything and everything and I've always been interested in watching/reading/listening to something and then discussing it with others as they do the same.

I'm at work right now so can't type to much more but I'll have to definitely come back and leave a detailed response.
Thanks, I'm glad to see people expressing interest in the idea. I wasn't sure how it would be received or interpreted. Looking forward to hearing more of what you have to say though!

Yes an interesting idea and just like a book club of sorts as Taylor J says.
Thanks

I take it one or both of you might be interested in working/cooperating on it to some extent?

Taylor J

Fan
Okay I'm finally finding some time to actually sit down (and stay down) and type up my thoughts some more.

To start off and go off of what I said in my previous post in the thread. I've seen this take place over at SomethingAwful but not in the same exact way. They have a singular thread for any and every show and just talk about whatever whenever and the current discussion can change on a whim in the threads.
The way I would do it (but this could also be the incorrect way) is I would make it so say if it were a book you would only read(watch/listen as if were tv shows, albums, etc) to one chapter at a time and thouroughly discuss as much as possible about those as can be. So say like a thread is only about one episode of a tv show. Again probably an incorrect way of doing it but just an idea.

I was also thinking of maybe allowing users to create like their own "clubs" to do other projects at their own pace or say if one was already going they wouldn't have to rush to catch up etc... but with more thought I think that would take away from the community itself so not too sure on that.

Also I can't lie I would love to help out with something like this. I just don't have much free time at all with making sure I get as many hours as I can a day into practicing programming and other daily chores I have to get done. I would even use my XF license for this, that's how much I would actually love to help out.

DarkGenesis

Aspirant
Thanks for taking the time to comment!

They have a singular thread for any and every show and just talk about whatever whenever and the current discussion can change on a whim in the threads.
This is the usual trend for how things are done. You create a thread on the pertinent subject matter, individuals will drop in, comment for a bit and usually move on. Most of the discussion occurs during the build up to the release of the movie, show, etc when people are chiming in with information they've found, sneak peeks, etc.

The way I would do it (but this could also be the incorrect way) is I would make it so say if it were a book you would only read(watch/listen as if were tv shows, albums, etc) to one chapter at a time and thoroughly discuss as much as possible about those as can be. So say like a thread is only about one episode of a tv show. Again probably an incorrect way of doing it but just an idea.
Not incorrect way at all. This was actually how I intended to run it and have been doing it, though on some of the shows and anime, we have increased the number of episodes to several per week to give people a subject range to discuss.

I was also thinking of maybe allowing users to create like their own "clubs" to do other projects at their own pace or say if one was already going they wouldn't have to rush to catch up etc... but with more thought I think that would take away from the community itself so not too sure on that.
Again, what I had in mind. People could request a forum for their project and run it however they like. They could create various subject discussion matter threads from favorite character of x chapter(s) to what were you most surprised about happening during x.

Also I can't lie I would love to help out with something like this. I just don't have much free time at all with making sure I get as many hours as I can a day into practicing programming and other daily chores I have to get done. I would even use my XF license for this, that's how much I would actually love to help out.
That would be awesome and help out! We can continue this discussion in PM if you like?

Last edited: