The Classic Subject: Do you use a VPN service for privacy? What is the best service for you?

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Self explanatory.

Please share your thoughts with the rest of the community.

I’m in the process of contracting a VPN service and maybe this thread can help with the same question.

Klaatu

Fan
I don't use a VPN regularly, but when I need to do it I use VyprVPN. I'm very happy with it. It has servers from lots of different countries, it's fast, and the connections are stable. I also use Opera's built-in VPN for browsing sometimes.

Noble

Participant
I use bitdefender VPN paid, no issues with it for the last two years.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
I use VPN if i need to contact services that i do not fully trust or has geoblocking.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I use whatever comes with Opera to get around geoblocks.

If I want to be really private (avoid potential embarrassment and what-not), I use Tor. Tor is the most private, but it's a bit slower than a VPN and some sites block it as bad actors occasionally make use of it due to it's anonymizing properties.

AdamD

Devotee
I use Private internet access on and off, but mostly for work, as I need a Canadian IP for testings certain things.

Replicant

Aspirant
I use ProtonVPN here. They are the same company behind ProtonMail, a fully encrypted email service. Greatly satisfied with them and their pricing plan are very affordable, IMO.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
I suggest to folks to also set your router, firewall or whatever you use as your intermediary DNS server to use Quad 9 or similar privacy DNS server. This is in case you have any unknown DNS leaks these queries won't go to your internet provider.

Solidus

Stupid machines!
I use whatever comes with Opera

They sell your data. Whether or not you care about that, I don't know. But there it is.

I currently use Windscribe but intend on switching to Mullvad.

Side note: a VPN doesn't completely protect your privacy, you're still traceable and leave a unique fingerprint.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
They sell your data. Whether or not you care about that, I don't know. But there it is.

I currently use Windscribe but intend on switching to Mullvad.

Side note: a VPN doesn't completely protect your privacy, you're still traceable and leave a unique fingerprint.
You could always use Tor for when you're really concerned about privacy.