The Business Intelligence Cycle Method for Message Forum Administration

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Shawn Gossman submitted a new Article:

The Business Intelligence Cycle Method for Message Forum Administration

In my college doctorate program, I have many different studies concentrating on intelligence, counterintelligence and human intelligence. While my degree focuses more on using intelligence to protect the United States, I have often saw the perfect elements to easily integrate it into business aspects of running a message forum. With that consideration, I have created an Intelligence Cycle model aimed on message forum administration concentrating on competition and business aspects.

What is Intelligence?

Firstly, we as forum owners should define what intelligence means to us in terms of administrating our message forum communities. Intelligence to a forum owner may be defined as information that has been collected and translated so that it has been made useful for a message forum and for decision making by message forum administrators and owners. Intelligence is an available tool to forum owners and it can be used negatively or positively but should always be used while using common sense. Intelligence isn’t just information found – it needs to be collected, analyzed and disseminated to those who can make good use of it.

The Forum Business Intelligence Cycle

The intelligence cycle for a forum business should be used for the ultimate goal of making decisions that will affect the forum brand in a positive manner. They following cycle is suggested for use:

• Requirements – Decide what type of intelligence is requires by deciding what needs the message forum has in terms of business.
  • Direction – Decide the plan and direction of the entire intelligence operation. How will it be collected and who will be a part of the operation?
  • Collection – Gather the intelligence information. In the intelligence community world, this information is often raw and will not be perfectly aligned with one and other while it is being collected.
  • Processing – Process the intelligence information into a group of information to be analyzed. In this step, one would put everything together quickly in order but with no exact direction or meaning.
  • Analyze – Take the processed intelligence information and make it make sense! This is where research, trial, error, more research, comparing and so and so on will come into play.
  • Disseminate – Use the analyzed and properly formatted intelligence information on the needs (the requirements cycle phase) of the message forum. Apply the information to make use of the information and to further assist in the...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Thank you for your comment. :) If you run a forum for a hobby or it isn't a serious forum in the niche market, no, it would probably not be useful. The article is aimed more at serious "business" forum owners.

JulieVA

Habitué
I run a forum which is an LLC & I work in the industry you claim to be studying in school. I am saying that this is not helpful or pertinent for forums.

A business plan would be more appropriate.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Well do explain why it wouldn't be useful for forums :)

Instead of just leaving people hanging... :p

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I have to agree with JulieVA.

There's nothing wrong with your concept, it's just that you failed to heed your own direction:
Analyze – Take the processed intelligence information and make it make sense!
Part of that is putting it into a context that works for your audience. I don't think what you have here works for most forum owners.

JulieVA

Habitué
Well do explain why it wouldn't be useful for forums :)

Instead of just leaving people hanging... :p

The intel cycle you described here simply is NOT applicable to forum ownership. It's applicable to something FAR different. I'll stop there. I think you know what I am referring to.

Forum owners need to understand that a successful forum is best run as a business and they need a business plan.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I agree that a business plan is needed, very much! I just look for ways to integrate intelligence and cycles into business planning. If we don't explore new options, we will not find new tactics.

Thanks for the comments, folks. :) Your opinions are always welcome!

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Information/intelligence gathering and cycles are integral to business planning already, though it's always good to look at other opportunities.

I think you have a good topic here, it's just a bit esoteric for the average admin. A more expansive article on "Intelligence gathering basics for forum admins" would likely be very helpful.

JulieVA

Habitué
Information/intelligence gathering and cycles are integral to business planning already, though it's always good to look at other opportunities.

I think you have a good topic here, it's just a bit esoteric for the average admin. A more expansive article on "Intelligence gathering basics for forum admins" would likely be very helpful.

I agree 100%.

This was not written in a way which would assist the avg forum owner. It is clearly written for another audience.

A better angle would be "Observing your competition (successful & unsuccessful) + observing your niche & leveraging those observations so as to turn them into success for you."