The best and the worst way to get new members?

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Thinking about your own message forum experience, what single most best option have you used to get new members to join your forum in terms of marketing and promotion? With that being said, what has been the single most worst option you have used that has failed to give you new members?

Maxxamillion

Gaming Geek
Thinking about your own message forum experience, what single most best option have you used to get new members to join your forum in terms of marketing and promotion? With that being said, what has been the single most worst option you have used that has failed to give you new members?
Facebook advertising, all it gave me was a bunch of inactive followers on my FB page

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
The best was to have four or five authors, who were well-known within the field we covered, as active members of the forum, who would invite people to talk to them there whenever they gave presentations.

The worst that I have heard of (not done), is to join other people's forums then PM random members asking them to join your forum instead.

Chump

Aspirant
The worst that I have heard of (not done), is to join other people's forums then PM random members asking them to join your forum instead.
Oh whoops... xD jk.

I like your other idea,
The best was to have four or five authors, who were well-known within the field we covered, as active members of the forum, who would invite people to talk to them there whenever they gave presentations.
But, it's rather hard to get some authors about Minecraft that are interested. But, nonetheless, I'll try.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
The best method for me by far has been to buy up another forum in the same niche and merge it. I imagine it could also be a recipe for disaster if you don't go about it in the right way.

That's got to be close to the worst if not the worst and it's certainly something I've never done either.