The Admin Guide to Member Stereotypes

Diana Notacat

The Space Kitten
Diana Notacat submitted a new Article:

A person is a unique individual, however as you are an admin you will come across many similarities in personalities in your members that seem to fall in key categories. This guide is meant to aid community admins in learning how to spot common stereotypes and the best way to deal with them if a problem arises. All of these stereotypes are actively being used in staff training on my own forums and have been an excellent way of teaching my members people skills!

Remember, stereotypes are not the end all to personalities. People are different. Your “dumb n00b” can become the “valuable member” with guidance just as your elder members can become above the rules and reject reason. Always view a problem according to the situation and circumstance. The history of a member can play a big part in how they react to problems; the stereotype guide only provides an insight in to styles of behavior. Admin Tip: Use your brain and don’t be judgmental. Everyone deserves a certain amount of respect.

The Clueless Newbie
Always frustrating for the seasoned members, a clueless newbie completely neglected to read the rules, the faqs, the info or anything else that would be common sense to read. They immediately jump right in thinking they are smart enough to skip the required reading or that people will answer their million of questions without trouble. Patience is a virtue here as your clueless newbie can become a great active member or the dejected user depending on their first impression with your site. Encourage your members and staff to be helpful. Answer their questions, but strongly advise that they read the important information of the site before they start asking questions - explain that if they don’t they are disrespecting the community for not taking the time to read your policies. By having patience your newbie will feel welcomed in to the community, and in turn do the same thing for future newbies!

The 1337 Chat Speaker
Be it 1337, chat speak or just really horrible grammar this style of typing can turn a professional forum down the drain and a friendly community in to an unreadble mess. Where chat speak may be find in instant messages or mobile phones, it looks immature, uneducated, and the real killer: near impossible to understand. Online, where you can have individuals from all over the world residing in your community, being able to understand each other is important. Someone...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

annakey

Charter? What Charter?
Brilliant. But for the sake of fairness should it not be balanced with The Member Guide to Admin Stereotypes?

The paranoid
The humourless
The obsessive compulsive
Bullies/foul mouthed abusers
Dipsomaniacs
Control freaks
Money-grubbers
Privacy busters/PM snoops
Members of state security services (MI5, CIA, Mosad etc)
The clinically insane
'My house, my rules' popinjays
'Poor me I work so hard you’re so ungrateful!' emotional blackmailers
'Start your own message board!' community busters
Troll hunters
Hypocrites

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37923

"A person is a unique individual, however as you are a member you will come across many similarities in personalities in admins and mods that seem to fall in key categories. This guide is meant to aid digital community members in learning how to spot common stereotypes and the best way to deal with them if a problem arises. All of these stereotypes are actively being used in member training on my own forums and have been an excellent way of teaching admins people skills!

"Remember, stereotypes are not the end all to personalities. People are different. Your “'My house, my rules' popinjay” can become the “valuable mod” with guidance just as your elder admins can become above the rules and reject reason. Always view a problem according to the situation and circumstance. The history of an admin can play a big part in how they react to problems; the stereotype guide only provides an insight in to styles of behavior. Member Tip: Use your brain and don’t be judgmental. Everyone deserves a certain amount of respect..."

:p ;)

dn3dj

Neophyte
I recognize those members. Hopefully both admins and mods are able to guide and help. Sadly, sometimes admins get all the responsibility in it and become plain old tired and overworked. Every once in a blue moon you don't want to deal with it one more time and if you just make them go away it will all be better.

Jura

Devotee
Forgot about the troll that gets by moderation, but I guess that goes under The Line Skirter. I've seen a fair share of those. Love threads like 'Guess the above users password' or 'Post hentai that's not hentai' only to post hentai images and saying that you suck at the game.

dragon_fire

Adherent
On any forum you will come across those members that always seem to have something snotty in reply to threads. It doesn’t matter the topic, if they see an opening they will throw out some sort of criticism, insult, or other comment that really doesn’t related or add to the conversation.

Very true! Brilliant stereotyping there, excellent. :)

annakey

Charter? What Charter?
The temptation was too strong. That's the danger of stereotyping members: it's a two way street...

The Hypocrite

Possibly the most frustrating manager to date, the hypocrite knows his policies down to the finest detail (he wrote them) but fails to apply them consistently. This becomes a disaster as his favoured posters and sycophants insult others, disrupt the forums, yet are immune to punishments. When members try to get his policies enforced across the board, they're told "start your own forum!" or "my boards my rules!" and threatened with disciplinary action. Worse yet the manager will do this all in public in an effort to make you look bad in front of your fellow members! Having it out with this manager is inevitable - their behavior is almost always deliberate. Keep to your resolve and never let their hypocrisy sway you from your goal - the fair and consistent enforcement of site policy. Allow no leniency where such a manager is causing serious problems, especially if there have been multiple complaints. In the end if you are forced to complain on TurboIsland's famous Mos Eisley Cantina, make sure you are clear and exact about what has happened and point out all the incidents that led up to that point. Criticising such a manager without full detailed explanations leaves him ample room to create his own case against you!

Isaac

Adherent
Great article! I can group most of my members into one of those categories. :)

nora

Fan
Thanks for the article, I loved reading it :)
The members stereotypes all sound very familiar.